Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We have avoided Midnight Mass the past few years. I want to just going, but my question is how do you deal with the kids? I have a 4 year old little girl, should we just keep her up and she can crash after church at 1-1:30am? Or should we put her to sleep like normal (around 9) and get her up before we leave for church?

What do you do? Thanks!

Mom2Alex

In Christ
Jul 19, 2008
+Diocese of Buffalo, NY
Visit site
✟9,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We have avoided Midnight Mass the past few years. I want to just going, but my question is how do you deal with the kids? I have a 4 year old little girl, should we just keep her up and she can crash after church at 1-1:30am? Or should we put her to sleep like normal (around 9) and get her up before we leave for church?

What do you do? Thanks!

We don't attend Midnight Mass but did when I was little. We would be put to bed in our church clothes at the regular time and awakened in time to go to Mass. :)

God bless you :)

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

What do you do? Thanks!

We've always gone to midnight Mass, and will this year too...with our 8 year old, 6 year old, 2 year old and 5 month old. :D

It's certainly not easy, but create great, great memories.

We keep the two oldest up, but let the two youngest take naps...they'll sleep through it anyway.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

What do you do? Thanks!

I don't know...but in 3 years or so I will find out :) We are due June 19th.

What my mom did with us was slowly alter our sleep schedule by about an hour in the few days before so we could stay up a bit later without a big crash. Usually we did that by an extra hour of Christmas activities like backing cookies or something...so we would be able to make the extra hour or so.

And when we got in from Church...there was a small gift from St. Nick (usually a stuff animal or something to sleep with) with a note that he was so happy we went to mass and that we should get to sleep soon because he would be back this way. And we were in bed around 2ish.

That was when we were 5 or 6. Might work at 4.

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We don't attend Midnight Mass but did when I was little. We would be put to bed in our church clothes at the regular time and awakened in time to go to Mass. :)

God bless you :)

That's a good idea, thanks!

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

And when we got in from Church...there was a small gift from St. Nick (usually a stuff animal or something to sleep with) with a note that he was so happy we went to mass and that we should get to sleep soon because he would be back this way. And we were in bed around 2ish.

Really good idea! We will do this!

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We've always gone to midnight Mass, and will this year too...with our 8 year old, 6 year old, 2 year old and 5 month old. :D

It's certainly not easy, but create great, great memories.

We keep the two oldest up, but let the two youngest take naps...they'll sleep through it anyway.

5 month old ,eh? Congrats on the new baby, I've been out of the loop here for a while. Boy or girl? What did you name the baby?

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
I put my under 5's to bed and take them to Mass in their Christmas jammies- the olders stay up with us and play games and watch movies. Everyone, of course, thinks the kids in their Christmas jammies and slippers are super cute-and it saves me from having to deal with changing clothes.

The last year or two-though we've gone to the 11:45am Mass on Christmas Day, and that's been really awesome. We get up and open preents--and then go to Mass and come home and put Jesus in the creche singing Happy Birthday. It's definitely not midnight Mass- but it's been working really well for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
We just recently have begun to worship in a different parish. Our old parish did not have Midnight Mass so we always went to Mass on Christmas morning. First we get up and the kids (now teenagers) open the prezzies they have in their small stockings (these are from satan....i mean, santa...) and then we have have brekkie and go to Christmas morning Mass at 10am or 10.30am.

This year i am so excited that the parish priest at the parish we now attend, is having Carols around the Christmas tree at 11.30pm followed by midnight Mass at, well, midnight.

It will be the first year i ever had a 'lie in' on Christmas morning. Like that will happen....even though we won't get home till the early hours of Christmas morning, let me tell you....kids...no matter how big they are...want to know what santa/mum and dad bought them. I'll be lucky to still be in bed at 7.30am.

Great to see you Jeff! Sorry i can't help you out with advice, but thanks for letting me share with you :)

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Where do you live?

The state of Washington--the western side. Believe me, you don't want to live here. It's called the "Evergreen State" because it is "Ever wet". And it's very, very liberal. (One of the states that legalized abortion before Roe v Wade was made "law of the land", and now they just passed the Assisted Suicide initiative.)

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The state of Washington--the western side. Believe me, you don't want to live here. It's called the "Evergreen State" because it is "Ever wet". And it's very, very liberal. (One of the states that legalized abortion before Roe v Wade was made "law of the land", and now they just passed the Assisted Suicide initiative.)

:hug: :prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You darling man you. I never knew that. You just made my day. I make an idiot of myself a lot on there, as no doubt you will have noticed :D

How is your lovely wife and child?

Nah, I think it's very funny and well written! Here is a plug for everyone who doesn't already have it in their bookmarks:

http://catholicconvert.wordpress.com/

Oh and the family is great! Makenna is in preschool. We just got her first school picture taken:

24fmkr6.jpg

Times can be tough, but I couldn't be happier!

Reactions: Photini
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

What do you do? Thanks!

Jeff do you have someone to leave her with?

I tell you, can you believe I never been to Midnight Mass? I get too worn out and have a ton of stuff to wrap for the kids so I never make it.

But the kids are to young and I think it best not to try to take them at all.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't know...but in 3 years or so I will find out :) We are due June 19th.

What my mom did with us was slowly alter our sleep schedule by about an hour in the few days before so we could stay up a bit later without a big crash. Usually we did that by an extra hour of Christmas activities like backing cookies or something...so we would be able to make the extra hour or so.

That is the most precious story.

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jeff do you have someone to leave her with?

I tell you, can you believe I never been to Midnight Mass? I get too worn out and have a ton of stuff to wrap for the kids so I never make it.

But the kids are to young and I think it best not to try to take them at all.

Yeah, but I want her to go. I remember my first Midnight Mass, the music, the bells, the incense, the lights, the tree, etc. I want her to experience all of that!

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
5 month old ,eh? Congrats on the new baby, I've been out of the loop here for a while. Boy or girl? What did you name the baby?

Thanks!!!

She's a little girl, Mary Elizabeth. Here's a picture of her with her older sister.

I think Midnight Mass may just be my favorite Mass of the year. We have Carol's sung from 11:30 - midnight. Once the bells start gonging, the cantor chants the Proclamation of the Birth of Christ. It's very dramatic....

Attachments

• IMG_9836.JPG
    IMG_9836.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.