Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Wic sez....."More or less. If domestic and big cats can be said to be of the same kind because they are sufficiently similar, then so too can amphibians and fish (say)." QUOTE//////////////////

Hespera sez...Well I dont feel like arguing, rare for me! But honestly the difference between a salamader and a fish is huge, and between two cats is primarily a matter of size.

i guess fish / amphibian are the same "kind" to the extent that they are both vertebrates. As are snakes and people. And there are plenty of homologous organs among them all.

Personally, I find tying to work out what the bible meant by "kind" to be tiresome and worthless.

The word "kind" btw has a fascinating etymology, and when a aperson has studied that word, and the word 'self' nothing looks quite the same anymore. Case you are interested.

"kind" of course is realted to the word "kin" and 'kindred" now think aobut "be kind"

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Ain't that a bummer?

Well, when taxonomy catches up to Leviticus, come see me.
For taxonomy to catch up to Leviticus, we first have to actually find four-legged grasshoppers... When you can show them to a taxonomist, come see us.

Science is too myopic to critique the Bible.
Good thing that my irony meter was already dead.

This website needs a "rolleyes" smiley.
You can always find and paste one from elsewhere ;)

Here, have a few.
2006_rolling_eyes_back.gif

I didn't say that --- did I?

My point is --- back then --- creatures existed that have not been classified today.
For some reason I find Wiccan_Child's explanation much more plausible.

I regret having to inform you that "fowled" is an actual word, and it doesn't mean "feathered" :p

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
With the exception of the forensic evidence you mentioned --- most of the evidence you mentioned has corrected some false conclusion made in the past.

One of my favorite examples is geocentrism.

Scientific (i.e. empirical) evidence led them to conclude geocentrism back then --- and it will do the same thing today, too.

Evidence can be misinterpreted.
I'm 99% sure I've suggested Asimov's essay The Relativity of Wrong in the past, but it's worth plugging again and again.

Always laughter from the godless. You haven't changed. But your laughter will change to sorrow. I warn you.
Ad baculum fallacy. Try again.

I asked you to use your brains. Adding change is not like adding pennies.
This is true. However, that's only an argument against an analogy, not an argument against "macro"evolution.

(Did I bring up the evolution of mammalian middle ear bones from jaw bones, one of the best documented gradual transitions in the vertebrate fossil record? If not, consider them brought up ;))

What we see is variations of the same feature ie. beaks That's all.
Actually, most evolutionary novelty is considered to be "variations of the same feature". Gill arches and jaws, arthropod legs and mouthparts, fins and limbs, digestive enzymes and blood clotting factors; the latter of each pair is thought to be a variation on the former. Evolution is not expected to build anything from scratch! (Although I've just discovered that some think novelties from scratch occur surprisingly often on the molecular level. Whoever cited that paper in the Wikipedia entry on nylon bugs has my eternal gratitude.)

Or coloration - lighter, darker, deeper (every color in the rainbow is possible I imagine)Many small changes or differences are possible. But what do they add up to? Is a parrot not a bird? Is one population of parrot not related to another if it looks different?
Yes, parrots are birds. And parrots are also vertebrates, as are newts and lampreys. Parrots, newts and lampreys are also animals, as are flies and sponges.

You are used to thinking of parrots as "birds" because "birds" is a more intuitive and useful everyday classification than "vertebrates". However, I see no logical reason why you couldn't repeat the same argument with a higher-level grouping - and indeed, I've seen people arguing that "bacteria who evolved X are still just bacteria" - "bacteria" are a higher level group than "animals"!!!

So where does this stop, and why?

An important thing about evolution that most creationists don't seem to understand is that an organism cannot evolve out of its ancestry. If your ancestors were mammals, you'll always and forever stay a mammal (and an amniote, a tetrapod, a lobe-finned fish, a gnathostome, a vertebrate, a deuterostome, an animal... and so on, down to "living thing".)

Let's say you have two populations of the same kind that separated from each other and began to look a little different. The change is now you have two populations instead of one. The limit to change (the number of possible different populations) - dependant on available land, available food and other resources for life.
Actually, there is another important limitation, that which comes from the inside (developmental constraints, for example).

Speciation occurs at a higher rate near the equator because of the strong mutagenetic effect of sunlight.
Citation please? Never heard of this hypothesis.

In this area we find the Galapagos Islands where Darwin hit on his theory. I think we can say beneficial traits become isolated.
Isolated from what? I'm not sure I understand.

A word of caution: speciation on the Galápagos (or Hawaii, or the great African lakes) has more to do with them being islands than them being tropical. When islands are first colonised by organisms, they are completely empty ecosystems, full of unexploited new habitats for the few (for remote islands, at least) colonisers.

So far I've outlined two changes. Change in the frequency of alleles (related to populations) and change in the alleles themselves (like adding colors and shapes to a palette - to existing features)
That's about right. So your problem is with evolutionary novelty. But that happens all the time - it's possible to observe in the lab, even though obviously it's much easier to observe in microbes.

Here is brand new multicellularity for you, and here is a novel anatomical feature that appeared in a population of lizards within a few decades. If you'd like to read either paper, PM me.

Now let's redefine the problem. Micro and macro evolution will now be refered to as Evolution (speciation) and Evolution (common descent).
Technically, speciation is not microevolution ;)

Grr, have I mentioned I hate the micro-macro terminology?

These two theories are not related in my opinion. In other words, one doesn't logically follow from the other. If one makes sense it doesn't mean the other has to be accepted.
Perfectly true. Even if we know that organisms can change extensively, common descent doesn't logically follow. Common descent requires (and has, in absolute shiploads) its own evidence. (Wanna talk about it?)

I disagree with the godless.
Do you also disagree with the Christians? (If you feel like pulling out the No True Scotsman fallacy, I advise you to take it up with him.)

I disagree with your interpretations of the evidence. I find your words not just unconvincing but I marvel that God has blinded you to the truth. It's almost a miracle. We are not against any field of study, including science (though it feels like you have hijacked science ... and history and literature) No. We are struggling against the powers and principalities of darkness - against the ignorant proponents of Evolution(common descent).
Wow, did you really just call 99% of the biological research community ignorant?

They may be ignorant of a lot of other things, but I can assure you they'll know a thing or two about biology.

I would argue that no feature would keep changing like the video suggests. The neck, for example, would not keep getting longer. An unusually long neck, in fact, would suggest two creatures are unrelated (not descended from the same ancestor) though they might belong to one kind. We've been breeding animals for a long time (thousands of years) and we've seen nothing like what's in the video. Animals don't acquire necks longer than what is allowed within the parameters of the kind.
Or what's feasible for their body plan.

But breeding should be the very thing that shows you just how far you can get from the original in not so many generations. Dogs? Maize?

A swan, for example, might have a longer neck than a sparrow, but I would think it belongs to a water fowl. We see longer necks in that family. But both swans and sparrows are birds.
Rrrright... Both swans and ducks belong to the same family. Swans have much longer necks with about 10 extra vertebrae compared to your average mallard. Based on your reasoning, if you only knew ducks, would you say they couldn't obtain swan-length necks, or what?

(Incidentally, in mammals, there does seem to be a developmental constraint on necks. The Hox genes that determine how many neck vertebrae you have are also involved in other kinds of processes that a mutation can mess up, and people with six or eight cervicals have all sorts of problems including being prone to cancer.)

It's like a life span. You don't get longer life spans than the limit of the kind. While some species of a kind might be longer lived, all species of its kind would fall within a certain inherent range. It's the same with any feature. There's a range inherent in the kind.
And you have no other reason to say that than

(1) the preconceived notion that there are such limits

(2) the fact that, quite trivially, properties of living things do fall within certain ranges (but, then, so does EVERY kind of measurable data!)

Am I correct?

Neither of those premises implies in any way whatsoever that traits can only evolve within the limits of a kind. The first is your opinion, and the second is just a property of any dataset that doesn't include infinities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Leviticus 11:20-42
20 "All winged insects that go upon all fours are an abomination to you. 21 Yet among the winged insects that go on all fours you may eat those which have legs above their feet, with which to leap on the earth. 22 Of them you may eat: the locust according to its kind, the bald locust according to its kind, the cricket according to its kind, and the grasshopper according to its kind. 23 But all other winged insects which have four feet are an abomination to you.

Well, the winged insects that have four feet and two legs above their feet for hopping can be eaten. But all other winged insects which have four feet are an abomination. I don't know which winged insects have four feet - flies?
As far as I'm aware, NO normal insect has four feet. They all have six.

Yes, for grasshoppers and kin, there is a valid reason to differentiate between the front 4 and the back legs - but if the gazillions of known insects are anything to go by, other insects "walking on all four" is clearly an error.

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Naraoia sez..Wow, did you (Mark T)really just call 99% of the biological research community ignorant?

They may be ignorant of a lot of other things, but I can assure you they'll know a thing or two about biology.QUOTE//////////////////////

Hespear sez.... yeppers, he did just that and then said he didnt know if flies have four legs.

If a person is that lacking in basic knowledge and gets what he does have cut and pate from sites...if that is all it takes to know more than a 'evolutionist"...

It makes the head spin when you think about that, and realize just how ignorant all them scientists must be! All those masters and PhDs they hand out around the world to absolute flaming ignoramuses!

Well it is really something, sobering and troubling in the extreme.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Naraoia sez..Wow, did you (Mark T)really just call 99% of the biological research community ignorant?
This is for you guys who think you know enough about [whatever] that you think you can critique the Bible with your myopic science: 1.

Please don't try and convince me there are no four-legged grasshoppers until you have scoured every square cm of this universe --- simultaneously.

You can come back with your, 'But it violates every definition of science known to man', but you're wasting your time --- with me, anyway.

You'll just vote a change in the definitions as needed.

What's that called when you think we do it? 'Moving the goalpost'?

Go try and convince someone who's gullible enough to believe science over the Bible.

I'm not.

Upvote 0
A

Alunyel

This is for you guys who think you know enough about [whatever] that you think you can critique the Bible with your myopic science: 1.

Please don't try and convince me there are no four-legged grasshoppers until you have scoured every square cm of this universe --- simultaneously.

You can come back with your, 'But it violates every definition of science known to man', but you're wasting your time --- with me, anyway.

Go try and convince someone who's gullible enough to believe science over the Bible.

I'm not.

You're quite welcome to believe there were 4 legged insects. Believe it as much as you want, but that doesn't make it any more rational than believing in invisible pink unicorns. Don't try to tell me invisible pink unicorns don't exist, until you've scoured every square inch of the universe.

Oh, wait, I know where there might be some 4 legged insects:

&

If you knew the etymology behind "science" and what science actually is, you'd realise that science, by nature, is skeptical of everything, the exact opposite of gullibility.

Science is derived from the Latin term "Scientia", which translates as "Knowledge.", science is both knowledge and the means with which that knowledge is gained. Not belief, knowledge.

You either believe in something or KNOW something. Science, by definition, is the latter. Religion being the former. Believing religion over accepting science requires gullibility, not vice versa. Science requires skepticism, not blind faith.

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
AV sez..."This is for you guys who think you know enough about [whatever] that you think you can critique the Bible with your myopic science:"QUOTE///////////

Hespera sez...

Easy enough to critique, show the infallible bible is wrong with just a little basic math. Why scour every square centimeter of your book for more errors? One error in an infallible book is like one little hole in a tight balloon. You DO know what that causes?

You seem to think you know enough to critique science, when you clearly dont.........and proudly dont.

But hey, you dont have to scour the universe, or learn much. Just poke one little hole in evoluiton, just one impossible thing like that (say) for evolution to be true, Pi has to equal 3.0, or a string has to be 30 cubits to an infinite number of decimal places.

heck, anyone can see its impossible; no argument at all.

You'd win, just like that. But-ya-cant-do-it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Believe it as much as you want, but that doesn't make it any more rational than believing in invisible pink unicorns.
That's right --- it doesn't.

What gives it its credibility is not me believing it, but the Bible saying it.

I may not believe in 'invisible pink unicorns', but I do believe in 'invisible brown horses'.
2 Kings 6:17 said:
And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

Upvote 0
A

Alunyel

That's right --- it doesn't.

What gives it its credibility is not me believing it, but the Bible saying it.

I may not believe in 'invisible pink unicorns', but I do believe in 'invisible brown horses'.

Then what give Beholders credibility, is the Monster Manual saying they exist.

beholder.gif

Thay are real. The Monster Manual says so!

And look!

MM35_PG216.jpg

It's your 4 legged insect. The Rust Monster, and it's eating a rusty sword!

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others

I'm not.
no we would just say, until you show us a 4 legged insect theres no reason to think they exist AV.
the very fact that you think we have to disprove your claims for you to be wrong when you make a positive claim about insects just goes to show your arguments are fallacious and a waste of anyones time.

why bother to debate/argue anything if you don't even care about what people say?
by the way, way to go on being so disingenuous by trying to mind read people trying to debate this silly claim of yours.
i mean it just makes your arguments so much more attractive to answer, you know? nothing like being told what i'm going to do before i do it:doh:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
no we would just say, until you show us a 4 legged insect theres no reason to think they exist AV.
And I would respond: "I don't have any on me right now --- so in the meantime, keep looking."
the very fact that you think we have to disprove your claims for you to be wrong when you make a positive claim about insects just goes to show your arguments are fallacious and a waste of anyones time.
They aren't my claims, DG; they're the Bible's claims --- I just believe them; like you would the depth of the Mariana Trench if you read documentation on it.
why bother to debate/argue anything if you don't even care about what people say?
I do care what others' say.

I care enough to pray for people here, and to invest a large part of my time posting.

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
And I would respond: "I don't have any on me right now --- so in the meantime, keep looking."
i would counter that i don't have any reason to keep looking for things that have no evidence from the people claiming they are real, so why would i? that would make no sense

They aren't my claims, DG; they're the Bible's claims --- I just believe them; like you would the depth of the Mariana Trench if you read documentation on it.
fallacious as always, give it a rest already. stop equating faith with belief, you have faith, faith by your own book is trust in things unseen, well sorry to tell you this but if i wanted to i could go measure the trench and see those measurements, so you are just tilting at windmills and speaking nonsense

I do care what others' say.
I care enough to pray for people here, and to invest a large part of my time posting.
then why on earth do you ignore posts that say that atheists don't worship nature, that accepting the depth of the trench is not faith, or any of the other distortions of science you make.
to me that's the gist of not caring what other people say.
as for your prayer, i really don't see what that has to do with anything, and you post to really just post, or by now you would i dunno learn not make the same false claims you keep making.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i would counter that i don't have any reason to keep looking for things that have no evidence from the people claiming they are real...
Fair enough --- then don't tell me it's 'myth' and expect me to agree.

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
i wouldn't AV, i don't call flat out wrong things myth, that insults mythology, which holds truth at least
no i would just say anyone who thinks that insects with four legs existed at some point in time, needs to learn to read something other than a bad translation and stop claiming said bad translation is better than the original text the bad translation is translated from.
the very fact that you think four legged insects existed makes a mockery of your religion as augustine points out in his writings and makes no one wish to join it.

Upvote 0
A

Alunyel

Whether you agree or not is your own opinion on whether or not 4 legged insects exist, which everyone is entitled to, but not all opinions are equal.

The fact remains that they are a myth, and will remain so until you can prove otherwise. It's you that's making the claim that they exist, thus the burden of proof lies with you.

We can't prove they don't exist any more than we can prove the flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist, or beholders don't exist. You can't prove a universal negative. For your claim that they do exist to have any intellectual validity, you must provide physical evidence.

Considering insects are the most successful species on the planet, in terms of variation and numbers, and all of the known variations (Of which there are millions.) have 6 legs, it doesn't put your absurd claims of a 4 legged insect in a very good position.

As for caring what others have to say, despite what you say, you clearly don't. It's quite clear you only pay attention to what you say, and instantly consider everyone else wrong. We call that arrogance.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Wiccan_Child said:
More or less. If domestic and big cats can be said to be of the same kind because they are sufficiently similar, then so too can amphibians and fish (say).

Hespera sez...Well I dont feel like arguing, rare for me! But honestly the difference between a salamader and a fish is huge, and between two cats is primarily a matter of size.

i guess fish / amphibian are the same "kind" to the extent that they are both vertebrates. As are snakes and people. And there are plenty of homologous organs among them all.
Exactly. The differences are completely outweighed by the similarities, especially when you look at comparative biochemistry or genetics.

Upvote 0