Michigan family sues alt-right sites over fake news reports on Charlottesville attack

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Michigan family sues alt-right sites over fake news reports on Charlottesville attack
Joel Vangheluwe was nowhere near the deadly Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Aug. 12, 2017.

He was at a wedding.

But that didn't stop numerous alt-right news outlets, blogs, public figures and others from identifying the Macomb County man -- and in some cases his father, Jerome Vangheluwe -- as the driver of a silver 2010 Dodge Challenger responsible for killing 32-year-old activist Heather Heyer and injuring 19 others.

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good. Rake 'em over the coals. Alt-right Nazis certainly don't hesitate to game the legal system for their whims (not saying that this guy is gaming the system; only that turnabout is fair play).
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
They must be kidding. They're Suing over that? Sheesh

As the article explains:
The fallout, which included calls for the retaliatory killings of the Vangheluwes, illustrates how "fake news," whether published with malice or the product of sloppy, negligent reporting, can quickly proliferate, impacting public perception, and ultimately, the lives of individuals.
~
"After the defamatory information was posted on the Internet by GotNews and the other defendants, the Vangheluwes began receiving countless anonymous threats," according to the lawsuit. "Michigan State police were notified and the family was warned to leave their home.

Internet sleuths have caused virtual vigilantism, with mobs of people in dogged pursuit of destroying someone's life, and the ramifications are tangible. Even after the sleuths have been proven wrong, and the person they've claimed to be the villain is exonerated and shown to be their victim, there are some conspiracy theorists who continue with making threats and spreading falsehoods. And even if the sites that originally posted falsehoods issue retractions, rarely do the multitude of other sites and social media users who've written content based on that falsehood. When I was little a Sunday school teacher demonstrated how one lie can cause so much damage by filling up a glass pitcher with water, and then adding just one drop of food dye to it. All of it soon became colored, and could not be undone. Similarly, someone's reputation can be forever stained.

This reminds me of the anguish and fear the family of Sunil Tripathi was subjected to in 2013. Nearly five years later and his name still is associated with a horrendous terrorist attack that occurred after he was dead. Had a living person been subjected to that treatment, to having their life dissected in a butchering way online, it would have had a continued impact. Every employer would Google his name and find the accusations, as would many potential dates and friends.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Informative
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I didn't expect that much of a divergence when I looked into. Has Vice always been as liberal as they are now?

I only heard of them when they added a channel to my satellite service a couple years ago. As of now, they make liberals look conserative lol.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I didn't expect that much of a divergence when I looked into. Has Vice always been as liberal as they are now?

I believe their abandonment of both attempts to be mostly neutral and journalistic ethics is why Tim Pool left.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As the article explains:

Internet sleuths have caused virtual vigilantism, with mobs of people in dogged pursuit of destroying someone's life, and the ramifications are tangible. Even after the sleuths have been proven wrong, and the person they've claimed to be the villain is exonerated and shown to be their victim, there are some conspiracy theorists who continue with making threats and spreading falsehoods. And even if the sites that originally posted falsehoods issue retractions, rarely do the multitude of other sites and social media users who've written content based on that falsehood. When I was little a Sunday school teacher demonstrated how one lie can cause so much damage by filling up a glass pitcher with water, and then adding just one drop of food dye to it. All of it soon became colored, and could not be undone. Similarly, someone's reputation can be forever stained.

This reminds me of the anguish and fear the family of Sunil Tripathi was subjected to in 2013. Nearly five years later and his name still is associated with a horrendous terrorist attack that occurred after he was dead. Had a living person been subjected to that treatment, to having their life dissected in a butchering way online, it would have had a continued impact. Every employer would Google his name and find the accusations, as would many potential dates and friends.
I suppose you are at least partially correct. I just look at this particular case and think that within 24 hrs. media had corrected the misinformation. When googling Vangheluwe's name the headlines also make it clear that he was misidentified.
Maybe if they can prove that it was a deliberate act, rather than a mistake, in order to disseminate false information with an ulterior motive, they really do have a case worth the court's time and money.

Upvote 0