Michigan doctor refuses to treat same-sex couple’s baby

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The doctor(s) are all part of the practice and they work together. The child was never turned away.

Because the good doctor was able to compensate for her colleague's weakness -- as it should be. Let us hope all potential patients everywhere are so fortunate.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Because the good doctor was able to compensate for her colleague's weakness -- as it should be. Let us hope all potential patients everywhere are so fortunate.

That's kinda why doctors go into a practice together, though. To help each other out.

And calling Dr. Karam the good doctor isn't really true either, since she couldn't be professional about the situation.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's kinda why doctors go into a practice together, though. To help each other out.

Which is why I agree -- so kudos to the practice for covering for the one doctor's weakness.

Of course, it's unfortunate that public knowledge of this weakness might end up hurting the rest of the practice, but such is life.

And calling Dr. Karam the good doctor isn't really true either, since she couldn't be professional about the situation.

I think she was quite professional and courteous to her patients... If I agree that I do not have a right to be served by a business, I think I am at least entitled to an explanation why I am not served.

It would seem that Dr. Karam agrees; what was unprofessional?

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Except it's not that simple, what do you do if your in a small rural county with the closest doctor with a 5-6 hour drive doesn't want to see your child because your lesbians? OR muslim, Or black, or what ever reason? There are big parts of the US where there is 1 pharmacy, 1 doctor, and so on, so having the option to go elsewhere can put a undo burdeon on someone. By the law where it says a reasonable acomidation can a doctor or such be forced to see a patient in such a cirmstance?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Except it's not that simple, what do you do if your in a small rural county with the closest doctor with a 5-6 hour drive doesn't want to see your child because your lesbians? OR muslim, Or black, or what ever reason?

Well, clearly, the child doesn't get medical attention, and may possibly die from some medical condition, but on the plus side, the doctor's conscience is clear.

Fortunately, that was not the case here. and if it ever does end up happening in such a way so as to get public attention, rest assured that support and sympathy will come pouring in... for the doctor.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Except it's not that simple, what do you do if your in a small rural county with the closest doctor with a 5-6 hour drive doesn't want to see your child because your lesbians? OR muslim, Or black, or what ever reason? There are big parts of the US where there is 1 pharmacy, 1 doctor, and so on, so having the option to go elsewhere can put a undo burdeon on someone. By the law where it says a reasonable acomidation can a doctor or such be forced to see a patient in such a cirmstance?

Given that this doctor was concerned about cultivating a relationship with the parents, emergency care wasn't an issue. ER docs don't cultivate these types of relationships with their patients, or their patient's family when dealing with minors.

You're making a HUGE assumption that this doctor would refuse to treat a child in an emergency situation based on the fact that she referred care at a pediatrician practice to another doctor.

Y'all REALLY need to stop with the assumptions.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Given that this doctor was concerned about cultivating a relationship with the parents, emergency care wasn't an issue. ER docs don't cultivate these types of relationships with their patients, or their patient's family when dealing with minors.

You're making a HUGE assumption that this doctor would refuse to treat a child in an emergency situation based on the fact that she referred care at a pediatrician practice to another doctor.

Y'all REALLY need to stop with the assumptions.

Who said ANYTHING about emergency? A child still needs regular checkups, should a family have to drive hours every time they need a regular checkup? At what point is a doctor putting a undo burdeon on the family? What if your in a very anti gay state and no doctor will accept the child as a family physician and only for emergencies, should the parents have to drive out of state?

In the pharmacy example, having morning after pill isn't nescarily a life threatening emergency, but still being forced to drive multiple hours away because the closest pharmacy refuses to issue.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Who said ANYTHING about emergency? A child still needs regular checkups, should a family have to drive hours every time they need a regular checkup? At what point is a doctor putting a undo burdeon on the family? What if your in a very anti gay state and no doctor will accept the child as a family physician and only for emergencies, should the parents have to drive out of state?

In the pharmacy example, having morning after pill isn't nescarily a life threatening emergency, but still being forced to drive multiple hours away because the closest pharmacy refuses to issue.

My drive to this pediatrician's office was 45 minutes. Big deal.

There's also no such thing as an "anti-gay state".

And if you want a morning pill and you have to drive hours to get it, I don't really care. I'd look you square in the face and say "boo hoo".

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

And if you want a morning pill and you have to drive hours to get it, I don't really care. I'd look you square in the face and say "boo hoo".

Were not talking about YOUR driving, were talking about the more rural areas, I live in a small town it's not rural, but it's pretty small and to get to the nearest other town is a boat ride, if we only had one doctor forcing people to go to another town and pay money each time puts a undo burdeon.

The general law in most states is, if a reasonable acomidation can be made a religious objection is allowed. Question is, what is a unreasonable acomidation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Were not talking about YOUR driving, were talking about the more rural areas, I live in a small town it's not rural, but it's pretty small and to get to the nearest other town is a boat ride, if we only had one doctor forcing people to go to another town and pay money each time puts a undo burdeon.

The general law in most states is, if a reasonable acomidation can be made a religious objection is allowed. Question is, what is a unreasonable acomidation.

And in this particular case, reasonable accommodation was RIGHT THERE IN THE PRACTICE.

Let's stick to this case instead of creating hypotheticals.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And in this particular case, reasonable accommodation was RIGHT THERE IN THE PRACTICE.

Let's stick to this case instead of creating hypotheticals.

ummm we are sticking to the case, the question is where do you draw the line, if it's okay here, where is it not okay. The topic is wether this should be allowed, and questioning wether or not allowing this opens the door to bigger problems is part of that topic. This relates to a boarder question of what is reasonable acomidation.

Lets take the muslim in the UK wich used this type of law, can a muslim refuse to sell certain things if there are other cashiers, what if there are none.

In this case here it could be argued that if she is allowed to reject them, then anyone should be able to reject for any reason and if you have to drive for 3 states to get something thats too bad too sad. I'm not a big fan of allowing people to ignore certain laws, or buisness pratctices or such simply because of faith, or even really any reason. And things like this come down to a bigger issue of when is it, and when is it not allowed to put burdeons on customers, or the buisness your part of. This very well likly put a burdeon on the practice she was part of since they had to reschedule and juggle around other patients to acomidate her.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For the last time, you are ascribing motivations without any actual support.

Even though the chance of any law, especially since they aren't even proposing one at this point, depend on the state they are in when calling for it. So no, this is by no means "more dangerous" at all.
And for the last time (or maybe not ), the lesbians exposed their bigotry by calling for a law to punish (inflict harm) on people who disagree with them and take a stand on their beliefs. Punishment for violating the law is the word I got from you if you recall

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No she didn't. She just merely said she prayed and came to the conclusion that she couldn't cultivate the relationship she would need to be this baby's doctor.

How is that a "religious stand"?
How is it not?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you tell us where this remote location is that is a 5-6 hour drive to the nearest doctor?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

If your 6-month old child has a severe case of bronchitis and you have to drive hours to a pediatrician willing to treat him because of your relationship, will you care then?

Boo hoo, indeed.

Upvote 0