Single
Oct 14, 2014
Cambridge, Massachusetts
✟15,145.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
At least she handed it off to another doctor. Still, it seams silly to not care for a child based on the parents.
Silly is an understatement -- it's flat-out unethical and unacceptable behavior for a doctor.

I can't help wondering which other groups of people she wouldn't "be able to develop personal patient-doctor relationships" with on account of their lifestyles. Would she refuse to treat a teenager who contracted an STD during pre-marital sex? And would anybody be okay with that?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Doctors are not slaves. They can choose to refuse to work if they so wish and pass the patient on to another. Was this a doctor refusing to treat a chiild in a life or death moment....or is it a doctor who simply does not want same-sex "couples" coming to their surgery.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Doctors are not slaves. They can choose to refuse to work if they so wish and pass the patient on to another. Was this a doctor refusing to treat a chiild in a life or death moment....or is it a doctor who simply does not want same-sex "couples" coming to their surgery.

I have been in healthcare for 20 years and it is extremely unusual for a doctor to refuse to treat a child, based on the parents being a same sex couple.

A doctor typically passes off treatment to another, if they don't have availability to treat the patient and or if the patient has a medical condition they are not trained to treat.

If this doctor did turn down this patient, because of the parents, good chance Michigan either suspends his license, revokes his license or invokes some harsh penalties.

This doctor, does not represent what people go into medicine for.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2014
Cambridge, Massachusetts
✟15,145.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Both scenarios sound despicable to me.

I don't know what legal protections are in place for doctors who refuse to treat certain patients, so maybe she was within her rights to do this. That doesn't make it any less despicable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This doctor, does not represent what people go into medicine for.

The doctor is not the property of the patient.

If they are not acting as an emergency first responder they should be well within their rights to refuse to treat a patient if they so wish - no doctor is under obligation to treat every sick person they come across (the exception being an emergency first responder who's job it is to treat who they are sent to or who is sent to them).

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2014
Cambridge, Massachusetts
✟15,145.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The doctor is not the property of the patient.

If they are not acting as an emergency first responder they should be well within their rights to refuse to treat a patient if they so wish - no doctor is under obligation to treat every sick person they come across (the exception being an emergency first responder who's job it is to treat who they are sent to or who is sent to them).
Leaving aside the question of whether the doctor was within her legal rights to refuse to treat this child, do you agree with her decision?

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Leaving aside the question of whether the doctor was within her legal rights to refuse to treat this child, do you agree with her decision?

If it wasn't a life or death situation for the child then I have no problem with the Doctor refusing to treat the child; no doctor is under obligation to treat every sick person they meet - they are not slaves in whom labour can be commanded.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Michigan doctor refuses to treat same-sex couple’s baby | Fox17

Declining a gay wedding is one thing but declining the health of a baby is another. I don't agree with Christians being forced to participate in gay weddings but when it comes to the life of children I hope they adhere to their pro-life stance.

You are entitled to your opinion.

We will see how the state of Michigan handles this which would include; the Michigan Medical Society and the AMA.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ink finger, would you have been fine with the decision, if she refused the child on the basis that the parents were a mixed race couple, which she was against for religious reasons?

Yes.

People are either slaves to be commanded to labour or they are not.

Would I refuse to treat someone for being in a mixed-race couple? No. But I recognise that we should not make slaves of people and command their behaviour except in immediate life-or-death situations.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes.

People are either slaves to be commanded to labour or they are not.

Would I refuse to treat someone for being in a mixed-race couple? No. But I recognise that we should not make slaves of people and command their behaviour except in immediate life-or-death situations.

Slaves?

When the person in question decided (on their own) to go into medicine and be a physician, they knew what they were getting into.

Just as the Christian business owner knew what they were getting into when they opened the doors of their business to the PUBLIC.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Slaves?

When the person in question decided (on their own) to go into medicine and be a physician, they knew what they were getting into.

Just as the Christian business owner knew what they were getting into when they opened the doors of their business to the PUBLIC.

No doctor is required to treat every sick person they meet. They are not the property of the sick to be compelled to labour.

Its a matter of freedom. Do you remember that word from all the same-sex "marriage" activism.....about people not telling others what they should or should not do. Maybe practice what you preach. ;)

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Declining an event like a gay wedding is not like declining a health situation. I do see those two are two different things. If someone's life is in danger I don't think someone should decline. When its something that is optional like a gay wedding then they can decline.

Upvote 0