Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Obama's have personally set a good example to the American people,
as far as:
1. practicing... Positive :thumbsup: emotions continually...
2. growing your own FOOD-garden, &
3. healthful... exercise

Tho I mostly dis-agree with the rest of their politicalized Agenda,
Michelle Obama's
boundless :clap: enthusiasm in the areas above, I too 100% support & exemplify

Discuss. :wave:

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There is a lot to be said for growing food at any level. It can all start with a tomato plant in a container. It doesn't have to go beyond that or it can motivate one to who knows what level of gardening but no matter what it is easy and can be fun. I'd love to see the whole White House lawn a garden, I do enjoy watching the crops grow as the year progresses.

Reactions: sk8Joyful
Upvote 0
T

Thekla

We live in a city, with a concrete yard :(

But tomatoes can do well (though unless you have the money for enough soil for soil rotation, they can be disease prone through repeated same-soil use).

We have been successful with container growing raspberries (in a discarded wardrobe), and have started container growing black currents and akebia this year. We got a few currants, but hopefully next year will be better. Our container pomegranite set fruit this year - except a cat broke the fruiting branch ... hopeful for next year, though.

Salad veggies do well - many sorrel varieties, purslane, herbs, and peppers.

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a lot to be said for growing food at any level.
It can all start with a tomato plant in a container.
It doesn't have to go beyond that, or it can motivate one to who knows what level of gardening
but no matter what, it is easy and can be fun.

I'd love to see the whole White House lawn a garden,
I do enjoy watching the crops grow as the year progresses.
Hey, did you know that Michelle either re-started, or
grew a bigger FOOD-garden at the WH. - Excellent example :thumbsup:

And you're quite right :thumbsup:: in fact everywhere I've lived (having moved over 100 times), I've had at least 2 Tomato-plants; and
when we Homeschooled :thumbsup:, as part of Science, Animal-husbandry, Botany, Horticulture, Math, Nutrition,
Open-pollinating SEED-Saving, etc. we grew:
12 kinds of veggies:
Broccoli & Carrots & Cucumbers & Carrots & Kohlrabi & Lettuce (red leaf) & Peas (green) & bell (sweet yellow) Peppers & Pumpkins & Potatoes (yellow finn) & Squash (butternut) & Tomatoes (cherry)
and
12 kinds of Bush & Tree-fruits, & seeds:
Apple-trees & (soon to try Avocados) & Blueberry-bushes & Cherry-trees (both kinds) & Currants (black) &
Grapes (purple) & (soon to try: Mangoes) & Plum tree & Raspberries & Strawberries & Sunflowers & Watermelons,
in a big :thumbsup: yard. - Our small/spacious house, (the one that mentioned in Balanced-Budget thread),
I paid off as a Single-parent in but six (6) years, this house was a small part of our ^ Garden oasis (just like
my Grandpa taught me as a little girl).

What Yummy :yum: ness do you enjoy from your garden?

Michelle might even wanna here about it :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The Obama's have personally set a good example to the American people,
as far as:
1. practicing... Positive :thumbsup: emotions continually...
2. growing your own FOOD-garden, &
3. healthful... exercise

Tho I mostly dis-agree with the rest of their politicalized Agenda,
Michelle Obama's
boundless :clap: enthusiasm in the areas above, I too 100% support & exemplify

Discuss. :wave:
The most positive aspect of the Obama presidency is the model that the family sets for others who identify with them. He was very conscious of the problems with his community in his first Father's Day message, and the failure of so many fathers being there for their wife and their children.
Positive emotions, exercise, micro-gradening are all good examples, but from my own point of view, if more people from Obama's community begin to emulate his model as a father and a husband, this would be a redeeming aspect of his presidency.

Upvote 0

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What Yummy :yum: ness do you enjoy from your garden?

Michelle might even wanna here about it :wave:

I always do broccoli, tomatoes and peppers and let the peppers go to orange and red. Other things I change up each year and try to do the stuff that is more expensive for a treat. This year radichio and lots of different salad greens. I grew artichokes here in NY one year even. Three years ago I built an automated watering system and put a feeder in-line with it. Things have been hands off and bumper crops since. I love to stroll through the yard just snacking as I go.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Don't forget that our beneficent president in his first first few months in office also established the "People's Garden". Agriculture secretary Tom Vilsack in April 2009 announced the People's Garden in downtown Washington, DC, right outside the USDA building: Agriculture Department seeds the way for 'people's gardens'
PH2010041204610.jpg

Murtagh is among 80 volunteers at the USDA who are lending their sweat and muscle to an organic garden created by Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack along the Mall, on the grounds of the agency's headquarters at 14th Street and Independence Avenue SW.

Vilsack carved out the garden last year from an asphalt parking lot. He grabbed a jackhammer and challenged USDA facilities across the country to follow suit and create what he calls a People's Garden.
A great idea needs to spread of course ...
As of last week, 255 gardens have been established by Agriculture Department workers worldwide, including an indoor lettuce garden in North Carolina and a vegetable garden on the grounds of the U.S. Embassy in South Korea. All of the food grown at these gardens -- 29,656 pounds last year -- is donated to food pantries and soup kitchens. The garden at USDA headquarters last year yielded more than 300 pounds of peas, peppers, tomatoes, eggplants and other produce, which was given to D.C. Central Kitchen.
And a good idea requires professional management ...
During its debut, the garden was tended by the Agriculture Department's landscape firm, two college interns and an ad hoc group of USDA employees.
And a good idea requires lots of intense training and central planning ...
This year, the agency decided it would require volunteers to complete a six-week Master Gardener training program and pass an exam before being allowed to volunteer.
One wonders exactly how many people were fed ... and for how long? :confused:

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I lived in the city, I grew eggplants and tomatoes on the roof - had to carry water up two flights of stairs. In a lot of ways, it was easier to garden on the roof than it is now in my backyard in the suburbs - voles, deer and rabbits are the ruin of me.

It's nice to eat snap-peas fresh off the vine, though. Small, fresh okra doesn't even need cooking.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Don't forget that our beneficent president in his first first few months in office also established the "People's Garden". Agriculture secretary Tom Vilsack in April 2009 announced the People's Garden in downtown Washington, DC, right outside the USDA building: Agriculture Department seeds the way for 'people's gardens'
PH2010041204610.jpg

Murtagh is among 80 volunteers at the USDA who are lending their sweat and muscle to an organic garden created by Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack along the Mall, on the grounds of the agency's headquarters at 14th Street and Independence Avenue SW.

Vilsack carved out the garden last year from an asphalt parking lot. He grabbed a jackhammer and challenged USDA facilities across the country to follow suit and create what he calls a People's Garden.
A great idea needs to spread of course ...
As of last week, 255 gardens have been established by Agriculture Department workers worldwide, including an indoor lettuce garden in North Carolina and a vegetable garden on the grounds of the U.S. Embassy in South Korea. All of the food grown at these gardens -- 29,656 pounds last year -- is donated to food pantries and soup kitchens. The garden at USDA headquarters last year yielded more than 300 pounds of peas, peppers, tomatoes, eggplants and other produce, which was given to D.C. Central Kitchen.
And a good idea requires professional management ...
During its debut, the garden was tended by the Agriculture Department's landscape firm, two college interns and an ad hoc group of USDA employees.
And a good idea requires lots of intense training and central planning ...
This year, the agency decided it would require volunteers to complete a six-week Master Gardener training program and pass an exam before being allowed to volunteer.
One wonders exactly how many people were fed ... and for how long? :confused:
This is another example of how a good idea gets taken to its ultimate absurdity when government gets its hands on it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums