Michael the archangel

Do you feel there is much to learn from about Michael the archangel?

• Yes, I feel there is a great deal to learn from him individually

• No, he's just a stupid angel.

• Michael who?

• There are somethings to learn about him.

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heb12-2

Aug 7, 2003
✟298.00
This is an interesting topic.

There are several Michael's in the Bible, but I found just two verses that specifically mention the angel by this name. Does anyone know of any others?

"Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee." (Jude 9)

"And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels" (Rev. 12:7)

It would be a good idea to look at these contexts to see what can be learned. From the two verses above we can at least establish that he is called "the archangel". No angel is referred to as "the archangel" but Michael. Sometimes people will mistakenly say that Gabriel was "an archangel", but the scriptures do not give him that title.

1 Thes. 4:16 mentions "the archangel", and I believe it is safe to say that this is in reference to Michael:
"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:" (1 Thes. 4:16)

Any thoughts on what can be learned about Michael from these verses?

Upvote 0

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
There are four scriptures in which the archangel is mentioned. If there are more that others know about, I will greatly appreciate knowing where.

The most well known verse would probably be Revelation 12:7

7 And there was a war in heaven, Michael and his angels waging war with the dragon. Te dragon and his angels war,
8 and tehy wre not strong enough, and there was no longer a place found for them in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who decieves the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

Here we see a scene of the future where Michael defeats Satan in a spiritual battle and Satan is cast down from heaven.

Another well known scripture is found in Jude 1:9, and in this scripture is the greatest lesson learned.

9 But Michael the archangel, when he disputed witht he devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgemnet, but said: "The Lord rebuke you!"

So here we have a scripture speaking of the past. There waws an arguement/disagreement between Michael and Satan. God for some reason needed the body of moses (two witnesses?) and Satan wanted to take it. However, Michael knew that Satan could defeat him, so he actually humbled himself, and said nothing, no judgements, just simple "The Lord Rebuke You." Michael put God first, and defeated Satan.

1 Thessalonians 4:16

16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

The archangel is the voice of God.... now that is impressive.

Last but not least, Daniel 12:1 NASB

1 "Now at that time Michael, the great prince who stands guard over the sons of your people, will arise. And there will be a time of distress such as never ocurred since there was a nation until that time; and at that time your people, everyone who is found written in the book, will be rescued.

I like the KJV also

1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.

So Michael is also a protector or Daniel, Israel, and the children of Israel. Coincdence that Jesus is in Daniels blood line?

Here, the word for prince is as it stands, a great prince. Michael is this great prince. In daniel 8:5, Michael is refered to as the Prince of Princes.

25 and through his policy also he shall cause craft to propser in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.

This verse is speaking of Satan and his attempt to rule. He "opposes"(as the NASB says, KJV says against) the great prince (Michael) and is defeated by Michael.
Here the word PRINCE is used the same way is prince is used in Daniel 12:1.

God is the King of kings, that makes Michael the Prince of princes.

I just thought I would share that with you all.

Upvote 0

xtxArchxAngelxtx

Peace Keeper
Aug 18, 2003
Dayton Ohio
Visit site
✟16,903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
"It would be a good idea to look at these contexts to see what can be learned. From the two verses above we can at least establish that he is called "the archangel". No angel is referred to as "the archangel" but Michael. Sometimes people will mistakenly say that Gabriel was "an archangel", but the scriptures do not give him that title."

This is true.

Archaggelos (archangel): from archo to rule, an aggelos, and angel or messenger.
Denotes the first or highest angel, archangel, leader of teh angels. Denotes a definite rank by virtue or which one is quallified for special work and service

archo: To rule, govern (Mark 10:42, Rom 15:12). In class, the act, voice,...

Upvote 0

heb12-2

Aug 7, 2003
✟298.00
xtxArchxAngelxtx said:
There are four scriptures in which the archangel is mentioned. If there are more that others know about, I will greatly appreciate knowing where.

Thanks for mentioning Dan. 12:1. I wasn't 100% sure about that one because it called him a "prince". But you may very well be correct that this is the angel that is referred to.

If the Michael in Daniel is the archangel, then I did find another verse.
Dan. 10:21:
"But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince."

Here, the word for prince is as it stands, a great prince. Michael is this great prince. In daniel 8:5, Michael is refered to as the Prince of Princes.

I believe you meant Dan. 8:25.

Is Dan. 8:25 Michael or Christ? Dan. 9:25 mentions "Messiah the Prince". You do beleive that "Messiah the Prince" is Christ?

The word "prince" in reference to Michael in Daniel intrigued me. So it sparked some questions.

What are your thoughts about the other "princes" mentioned with Michael in the book of Daniel? Do you believe these are angels as well?

"the prince of the kingdom of Persia" (Dan. 10:13, 20)

The "prince of Grecia" (Dan. 10:20)

And what are your thoughts on the "kings of Persia" (Dan. 10:13)? Who are they?

Who is "the prince of the host" in Dan. 8:11? Is this the same "prince mentioned in verse 25 of that chapter, or a different one?

And the "prince of the covenant" (Dan. 11:22).

Also, I noticed that Gabriel is mentioned twice in the book of Daniel (Dan. 8:16; 9:21). In Dan. 9:21 he is referred to as "the man Gabriel", but yet it said that he did "fly swiftly".

It does seem that Gabriel here is the angel. So perhaps I answered my own question about this Michael being the angel.

But what are your thoughts on the others mentioned?

Upvote 0

heb12-2

Aug 7, 2003
✟298.00
xtxArchxAngelxtx said:
Archaggelos (archangel): from archo to rule, an aggelos, and angel or messenger.
Denotes the first or highest angel, archangel, leader of teh angels. Denotes a definite rank by virtue or which one is quallified for special work and service

archo: To rule, govern (Mark 10:42, Rom 15:12). In class, the act, voice,...

Here's some more info on the word "archangel":

W.E. Vine says "archangelos" (743) "is not found in the OT, and in the NT only in 1 Thess. 4:16 and Jude 9"

Vine also stated that the references in Daniel as "one of the chief princes," and "the great prince" is translated as "the great angel" in the Septuagint (the greek translation of the Old Testament).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Wisdom Seeker~

INFP the Healer
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
U.S.A.
✟56,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
xtxArchxAngelxtx said:
princes are angels
Actually there is a phylum of angels called Principalities.

Princes, such as Prince Charles, and the other princes that are human...are not angels. Sorry, I don't know you, so I don't know if you were trying to be funny or not...were you?

Upvote 0

jhessel

Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟8,984.00
Faith
Christian
interesting article i found.

http://cuttingedge.org/news/n1112.cfm

And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book." [Daniel 12:1]

Of course, Michael is the Archangel of God, and the specific National Guardian Angel of Israel. We see this responsibility in Dan. 10:13,21; and in 12:1, quoted above. To more fully understand the events about to break upon us, and the role that the conflict in the supernatural sphere will play in these events, let us examine several additional Scriptures.

1) Even though we cannot see the struggle occurring, supernatural beings are battling in their dimension, to determine the events about to occur on Earth.

In Daniel 10, we see that Daniel began a 21 day fast so that God would hear his prayer to tell him more of Israel's future. On the first day of Daniel's fast, God sent this angel to go to Daniel with the answer. However, this angel was prevented from getting through to Daniel because of a conflict with a demonic being described as "prince of the kingdom of Persia". What does this title mean? It means that Satan has assigned a powerful demon, who is identified here, to attempt to influence the activities of the King of Persia. The Bible does teach that both Demonic and Godly angels are assigned to the leaders of the nations throughout history, to influence the ruler to take actions that will direct his nation one way or the other. In the case of this angel trying to come to Daniel, he was unable to defeat this powerful National Angel on his own, so he had to turn to the National Angel for Israel, Michael, for assistance. Apparently, Michael is the most powerful of the national Godly Angels, for we see him gaining the victory over the demonic National Angel here, in Daniel 12:1, and in the Book of Revelation [12:7], where Satan himself is cast from Heaven by Michael.

The key point here, though, is to understand that each major nation, at the least, and maybe all nations, have had a supernatural angel assigned to the leader of the time. God assigns His angels, and Satan assigns his. Battles are constantly occurring in the Supernatural realm for the direction of that human national leader.

2) A description of a particular battle that occurred in the time of Daniel is given us, for our greater understanding.

Verses 12-13 and 20-21 describe a battle between Godly and demonic forces that sounds very intense and extremely protracted. Apparently, also, the battle for the direction of a particular country begins in the Heavenly sphere many years before that country or that leader actually arise. In verse 20-21, we see that, when the Godly Angel returns to the supernatural sphere, he knows he will be engaged in a battle for the King of Greece. The domination of the Grecian Empire was still over 200 years in the future at this time.

3) Events will get so very bad that Israel will be defeated were it not for the powerful intervention of Michael himself, the Guardian Angel of Israel.

At the time of the End, events will turn so completely against Israel that her powerful National Guardian Angel, Michael, will have to vigorously defend Israel. Let us examine these Scriptures, the first of which we printed, above.

Daniel 12:1 -- ""And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book."

* The words "At that time", refer to the Great Tribulation Period, spoken of in Daniel 11:36-45.

* In Biblical terminology, whenever a priest or a leader has to "stand up", it means that he is springing to action to defeat an enemy.

* We see that this crisis which causes Michael to "stand up" to defend Israel is totally unprecedented in nature. Israel is going through a period of trouble unequaled in her entire history, and this trouble occurs in the Last Days of Time.

* The strong implication here is that, if Michael did not personally defend Israel during this time of unequaled trouble, Israel would be annihilated.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.