Michael Levin: Daylight Saving Time – Finally, there's one good thing you can say about it

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Finally, here's the one good thing you can say about Daylight Saving Time, whether it’s springing forward or falling back.

Daylight Saving Time is one of those things that nobody likes but nobody ever gets around to getting rid of, a lot like the Electoral College for some and holiday fruitcakes for most of us.

The shift to end Daylight Saving in the fall, or start it up again in the spring, disrupts everyone’s circadian rhythms, turns flight and train schedules into nightmares, and makes cows incredibly unhappy because they have one more or one less hour before getting milked.

Not to mention how dark it suddenly gets on the first Sunday in November when it’s still afternoon, which depresses the heck out of everybody.

So there’s really nothing positive you can say about Daylight Saving since it serves no discernible purpose.

Or is there?

A week ago, the fire alarms went off in our house at 3 in the morning, with blaring whoops, sirens, and a panicked male voice yelling “Evacuate! Evacuate!” that could be heard easily a block away.

My wife and I immediately woke up and started running all over the house, first trying to determine if there was a real fire, which there wasn’t, and then, which smoke alarm had triggered the false alarm.

It’s really hard to think straight at 3 in the morning with sirens, whoops and “Evacuate! Evacuate!” going off in your ears, and then worrying what the neighbors are thinking, because you can’t get the thing to turn off.

Finally, I found a blinking red light on one device, indicating that it was the primary cause. There was no fire; it was simply that the battery was nearing the end of its useful life.

Continued Below.
Michael Levin: Daylight Saving Time – Finally, there's one good thing you can say about it