Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
this article is by a guy who votes Democrat but is a conservative Christian in that he disagrees with abortion and homosexuality, yet thinks that Democrat policies regarding poverty are nicer. An interesting and sobering read.

To be honest, I feel like I could vote Democrat if they did not have things that went against my faith so firmly cemented into their party platform. I'm sure many Democrats feel the same way about Republicans. And right now, I'm not entirely comfortable with the fact that Trump, essentially a non-Christian, is now leading the party. I trust and respect him but I don't know if I'll agree to everything he does.

If you want to give your thoughts I ask that you don't get into an argument.

Democrats Have a Religion Problem

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some politicians have put a lot of eggs into the religion basket. Some have put a lot of eggs into identity politics.

They look like skilled professionals and in some ways they are, but they've gotten so deep into the "characters" they play, it's hard for them to get out now.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And right now, I'm not entirely comfortable with the fact that Trump, essentially a non-Christian, is now leading the party.

Well, he's the closes thing we have at this time and offered to the Christians way more than the other side did during the election.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I could support the Democratic Party if they took a more Christian stance on abortion.

I leaned Republican until Trump's nomination, and I'm now hanging out in the Libertarian Party. They're platform is pro-choice, but I don't think it is as bad as the Democratic Party's stance.

While I admire the Democrat's appeal to the poor and minorites, I just don't like their methods which often seem to lead to bureaucracy, though the GOP also sometimes lead to bureaucracy.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While I admire the Democrat's appeal to the poor and minorities,

Look at all of the jobs that Trump is bringing back and he's not even president yet.
What has Obama really done for minorities?
Many minorities actually saw the light and voted for Trump.
Trump will do more for the inner cities poverty in 1 year than Obama did in 8 years.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I could support the Democratic Party if they took a more Christian stance on abortion.

I leaned Republican until Trump's nomination, and I'm now hanging out in the Libertarian Party. They're platform is pro-choice, but I don't think it is as bad as the Democratic Party's stance.

While I admire the Democrat's appeal to the poor and minorites, I just don't like their methods which often seem to lead to bureaucracy, though the GOP also sometimes lead to bureaucracy.

Democrats appeal to poor and minorities are the same as Republicans to fiscal conservatives and religious people: phoney and manipulative. Always look to the particulars of the candidate, not the letter by their name.

Reactions: Micah G
Upvote 0

Micah G

Jan 27, 2017
Arkansas
✟8,916.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I tend to respond more to the behavior and methodologies of the party constituents than the leaders of the parties themselves. Leaders can be changed but if the roots are rotten whatta you get? And I'm currently focused on these white middle class do nothings that go around and attach themselves and incite destructive movements that do no good for anyone but their funders.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well, he's the closes thing we have at this time and offered to the Christians way more than the other side did during the election.
M-Bob
Trump does not need to be a conservative Christian to make the case that he has the back of conservative Christians.
The case that HRC made on the other hand, was that these people were all racists who did not even know it, and she saw her role as schooling them about all their implicit biases and their white privilege.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Was it his frequent adulteries, his off-and-on support of abortion, his boasting about being able to get away with sexual assaults, or was it his defrauding thousands of people who trusted him?

I never thought of those things as being particularly Christian.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't understand why some people (I don't necessarily mean OP or the guy in the article) seem to think that all Christianity is concerned about is abortion, gays, and bathrooms. They're so obsessed with these pointless social issues that the message of Christianity is completely missed.

If you want to know why a lot of people are falling away from the church, this is why. They see a lot of hypocrisy and not a lot of Christian love, and they're repelled by it.
Ringo

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jesus seems to have spent very little time on those issues, and a great deal of time on things like dishonesty, greed, wrath, and other things that so many people gloss over while fussing about bathrooms and gays.

The "my sins are nicer than your sins" contingent, you know.

Upvote 0

Micah G

Jan 27, 2017
Arkansas
✟8,916.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus seems to have spent very little time on those issues, and a great deal of time on things like dishonesty, greed, wrath

Hmmm... sounds like the left to me. Lie, cheat and steal for free stuff and destroy things when nobody wants to change their diapers for them.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm... sounds like the left to me. Lie, cheat and steal for free stuff and destroy things when nobody wants to change their diapers for them.
The identity politics people don't represent the real Left, as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't understand why some people (I don't necessarily mean OP or the guy in the article) seem to think that all Christianity is concerned about is abortion, gays, and bathrooms. They're so obsessed with these pointless social issues that the message of Christianity is completely missed.
Ringo

They've confused a zeal for personal holiness with scapegoating sinners and enforcing holiness on everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The identity politics people don't represent the real Left, as far as I'm concerned.
They do not represent liberalism at least. Identity politics are the antithesis of liberalism, and a return to a caste system based in genetics.
Americans would do well to expunge this vileness from its midst.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Barbarian observes:
Jesus seems to have spent very little time on those issues, and a great deal of time on things like dishonesty, greed, wrath

Hmmm... sounds like the left to me.

Trump's not a leftist. He's not really a conservative, either. He's pretty much an opportunist. But dishonesty, greed, and wrath are his primary features.

Lie, cheat and steal for free stuff and destroy things when nobody wants to change their diapers for them.

That's our Trump.

Upvote 0

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Look at all of the jobs that Trump is bringing back and he's not even president yet.
What has Obama really done for minorities?
Many minorities actually saw the light and voted for Trump.
Trump will do more for the inner cities poverty in 1 year than Obama did in 8 years.
M-Bob

Did you know many Jews also "saw the light" and supported Hitler? Sadly some people are willing to support lies and the most disgusting behaviour if they think they will profit down the road.

Upvote 0