Seattle
✟25,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
While Matthew uses this verse to point to Jesus Messianic birth, if read in context, it sounds as if it is speaking of a literal ruler that will delivers them from the Assyrians. I’m confused on this, I know many Jews believe that the Messiah will be a physics ruler to deliver the Jewish people. This scripture makes me sort of think that as well and is having me struggle in my faith. Does Micah 5:2 (through the rest of the chapter) really refer to Jesus birthplace or as in a Davidic leader?

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Passages can be multivalent, i.e. having more than one application/interpretation. Micah 5:2 can (and I believe does) refer both to the one who would deliver them from the Assyrians as well as to Jesus as the foretold Messiah.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Mark51

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2014
✟89,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Micah 5:2 is a prophecy about Jesus' birth and line age. Luke 2:4-11; John 7:42. It has nothing to do with overcoming the Assyrian nation. Furthermore, Jesus mission was not to "deliver the Jewish people" politically. He devoted his attention to "delivering" them by means of spiritual "truth." John 8:31, 32. Afterward, he turned his attention to the Gentiles-people of the nations.

Upvote 0