Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
In this story about this topic, Mexico Agreed to Take Border Actions Months Before Trump Announced Tariff Deal, "President" was used in a caption and the first reference in the text. Thereafter "Mr" was used. This story about Gov Cuomo follows the same pattern: Mexico Agreed to Take Border Actions Months Before Trump Announced Tariff Deal. I picked a random story about Obama from Jan 2016: Obama Takes First Step in a Cancer ‘Moonshot’. It follows the same pattern. The title is used the first time, then Mr.
As it’s been for about a hundred years.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How small do you think our country and its economy are? Not only could we easily afford all of these people, but some regions need them. Refugees have helped prop up and turnaround regional economies that otherwise would have depopulated. It’s sad that some of the folks most opposed to immigration are the ones who would most benefit from it.

We have millions of workers that were 'needed' initially only to be laid off or fired once these businesses were up and running, or outsourced. Now many have to settle for a low paid part time job just to survive.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Such growth is cancerous, spawning more problems than it solves. Uneducated immigrants will use more services than they provide. Of course that spawns more needed government services to provide them. While at the same time they will send $Billion of U.S. dollars, which are needed here, back to their home countries. They are a social and economic liability, not an asset.

That might be true for the adults who come here, particularly when they first arrive, but IIRC, that’s decidedly not true for their kids.

And depopulation is an economic liability that’s a lot harder to solve than putting up some refugees for a while.

We have millions of workers that were 'needed' initially only to be laid off or fired once these businesses were up and running, or outsourced. Now many have to settle for a low paid part time job just to survive.

What are you talking about and how is it a response to what I wrote?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, however long it was, we've already established that it ended in March.

No, no you didn’t. There was an unsubstantiated source from an organization that is blatantly biased against the President.

That attempt failed miserably for those who require substance to claims.

So everything that follows the quote above is moot.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They're already being paid, tens of thousands of them...the military. Most of the equipment is already paid for as well, just sitting there doing nothing. The southern border is a great place for desert military training. Also a great place to train for future border security duty. ^_^

QFT

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That might be true for the adults who come here, particularly when they first arrive, but IIRC, that’s decidedly not true for their kids.

Those kids are going to kick our resident minority kids to the back of the line, again.

And depopulation is an economic liability that’s a lot harder to solve than putting up some refugees for a while.

The fewer people the larger share for each. You can only cut the pie into so many pieces.

What are you talking about and how is it a response to what I wrote?

My post is direct response to what you wrote.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'd rather die than become a cold stone heart that sits on it's fat butt reading the paper pleased by the news of the death of those poor families who would intrude upon my comfort.

Then I say you won't find the GOP looking out for your interests.

Too few Conservatives these days realize that Matthew 16:26 is supposed to be read as a rhetorical question, not as Jesus saying, "make me an offer!" :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No, no you didn’t. There was an unsubstantiated source from an organization that is blatantly biased against the President.

His own State Department?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Those kids are going to kick our resident minority kids to the back of the line, again.

Is that really your concern?

Also, are there a lot of minority kids in these areas that are depopulating?

The fewer people the larger share for each. You can only cut the pie in so many pieces.

If that logic held true, everybody in rural towns would be loaded. And yet...

People help grow the size of the pie; more people == a bigger pie. The fact is that there's a sort of critical mass needed for economies to grow and thrive. Businesses and other organizations (including government) need a strong talent pool in order to succeed and a sufficiently large client/customer base in order to cover their operating overhead. This is hard to do with fewer people around, and it's really hard to do when the reason you've depopulated is the multi-generation brain-drain that so many post-industrial areas have experienced. In that scenario, even the people left don't have much in the way of money or skills.

Rural and rust-belt America is facing the same problems today that inner cities faced a few decades ago and one of the ways to start fixing it is to add more people.

My post is direct response to what you wrote.

I understand that you quoted me in your reply, but - and I am not kidding - I have no idea what you're talking about or how it's relevant.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
  • Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is that really your concern?

I think I've established my concern over the years here.

Also, are there a lot of minority kids in these areas that are depopulating?

Not sure any areas are losing population.

People help grow the size of the pie; more people == a bigger pie. The fact is that there's a sort of critical mass needed for economies to grow and thrive. Businesses and other organizations (including government) need a strong talent pool in order to succeed and a sufficiently large client/customer base in order to cover their operating overhead. This is hard to do with fewer people around, and it's really hard to do when the reason you've depopulated is the multi-generation brain-drain that so many post-industrial areas have experienced. In that scenario, even the people left don't have much in the way of money or skills.

Rural and rust-belt America is facing the same problems today that inner cities faced a few decades ago and one of the ways to start fixing it is to add more people.

What you are describing is a labor pyramid scheme.

I understand that you quoted me in your reply, but - and I am not kidding - I have no idea what you're talking about or how it's relevant.

I addressed the false need for more and more immigrants when what we need to do is train our existing population to fill skilled job vacancies. And we have unskilled people to fill those jobs as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
No, the last thing we want is Mexico to be part of the US. Part of the problem is the rights imposed in our laws. To stop refugees, we need a country that doesn't have the press looking over them demanding that people be treated humanely.

The US isn't alone in this. Europe has taken somewhat of the same approach, pressuring countries like Turkey and Libya to stop the flow.

I agree, however, that looking at the borders it should be a lot easier for Mexico than the US. But we need to find a way to improve conditions in places like Honduras. I'm aware that this is a hard problem.

This is very astute. The psychology toward the Brown Scare 2.0 is to get the population ready to accept such a nation as you explained. In fact, it is to get the population ready to accept seeing anyone being treated inhumanely as a regular occurrence. But, of course it begins with "others" (including American citizens) so that the psychology can be slowly transformed (Brown Scare, killing black in streets, sexualization of children, etc.)

Technically, the US is already there in terms of law - but the people aren't ready to see this yet. When people beg to have the nation you described, then it will happen as if it was always happening.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

People help grow the size of the pie; more people == a bigger pie. The fact is that there's a sort of critical mass needed for economies to grow and thrive.

Right, “capitalism”!

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Right, “capitalism”!

Perhaps, but you must include free enterprise and sole proprietorship in the definition. This so not every 'worker' need be part of the general pace of the pyramid movement.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think I've established my concern over the years here.

I know. That was why I asked.

Not sure any areas are losing population.

Many are.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=09cfac5781d949918557f13c7295893e

pop_map.PNG

See all that pink?

shrinkage.jpg

As @Pommer pointed out, welcome to capitalism.

I addressed the false need for more and more immigrants when what we need to do is train our existing population to fill skilled job vacancies. And we have unskilled people to fill those jobs as well.

Training doesn't do any good if the jobs don't exist where the people are. The jobs won't exist where the people are if there aren't enough of those people to do the work and/or buy the goods & services.

Upvote 0