• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Mexico capitulates to Trump

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by hislegacy, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Haramis

Haramis Dancing on Rainbows Supporter

+214
    Non-Denom
    Private
    The big thing that emerged from this is Mexico agreed to crack down on the organizers and funders of the caravans, and to give up names of known organizers based in the U.S.

I have a hunch Trump is planning to make some theater around arresting several charity organizers in the U.S. for "human trafficking"

2. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+16,033
    Agnostic
    Single
    I don't recall seeing anything about that -- Mexico is going to go after the smugglers and human traffickers, but I didn't see anything about the funders of the caravans...

Of course.

3. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+5,156
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Is there any room in Donald Trump’s America for people to act like human beings?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. TLK Valentine

+16,033
    Agnostic
    Single
    Interesting...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...9c411dc4312_story.html?utm_term=.91e08c4dfc86

Makes sense.... but that involves foreign aid that Donald's base will never support.

5. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+8,950
    Other Religion
    He backs down and agrees to let them do the things they'd already promised to do?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+4,843
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Was that before or after the white House went poof?

7. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+6,206
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    In a roundabout way, hopefully.

8. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,242
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I’m still surprised he’s not implementing everify. That might actually have an effect. The cynical side of me says he doesn’t want to solve the problem, but to exploit it politically. Hence he won’t do anything that would actually reduce immigration.

9. OldWiseGuy

+6,206
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Why haven't they done it?

10. OldWiseGuy

+6,206
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    It has actually increased dramatically since the brewhaha began.

11. TLK Valentine

+16,033
    Agnostic
    Single
    With the money the US has agreed to invest in Central America in order to solve their problems and keep them from coming here in the first place, even if Mexico pays for the wall, the US will still end up losing money.

...besides, won't this deal make a wall unnecessary?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  12. The Faceless

The Faceless Has A Face

+319
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Yeah, I saw your NYT link where it said "things Mexico largely already agreed to" meaning there's more, and they know there's more, but articles for the "gotcha" people still have to be written. Stopped reading when it called him Mr. Trump and not President Trump. Imagine them disrespecting President Obama like that. LOL

13. OldWiseGuy

+6,206
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Sorry, I meant the comment for all of Latin America, not just Central America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...port-investigates-why/?utm_term=.5ce4c2f2f9ff

14. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+6,836
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Is there a time limit? Does the resistance have to be a certain length of time before it can be capitulation?

15. OldWiseGuy

+6,206
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Hopefully, but it still won't stop Mexicans themselves from crossing illegally.

16. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+6,836
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Ah, the NYT at its best. An unnamed source from a secret meeting.

The media’s equivalent of Colonel Mustard in the Library with a candlestick.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Go Braves

Go Braves On semi-hiatus here. Y'all take care.

+7,203
    United States
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
  18. Go Braves

Go Braves On semi-hiatus here. Y'all take care.

+7,203
    United States
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Oh I'm not at all surprised Donald hasn't implemented e-verify. During Donald's federal shutdown it expired. Studies have shown that it reduces the number of illegal immigrants in states that have mandated use of it for all employers, deters illegal immigration to the US in general. Donald, unsurprisingly: Trump seeks cuts to E-Verify

Donald's golf properties have been investigated by the FBI for hiring undocumented immigrants. Undocumented immigrants have talked about serving Donald personally.

To boot, some Republicans also have pushed for an increase in the number of visas given out to migrant workers for cheaper labor.

I think you're spot on that he's not at all interested in actually reducing illegal immigration. For Donald, it's all about political theater for his base. He wants to get them to keep tuning in to the next 'episode.'

19. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+1,050
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Ask their DNA?

20. Zanting

Zanting Newbie

+101
    Christian
    Private
    The house democrats are always upset and making noise no matter what the POTUS does...they have been doing so since he was elected and haven't done anything, but rant and rave since then. So more of the same here as usual.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List