Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And it wouldn't be the first time we sent the Marines to Central America.

....there's a long history of the Marines providing security for American business interest.

And since American business, including Donald Trump, benefit from cheap central american labor, it's unlikely Trump would use the US military to shut down illegal immigration at the source.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Today The President stated:

but he warned Mexico that, "if for some unknown reason" cooperation fails, "we can always go back to our previous, very profitable, position of Tariffs."

Finally someone with a backbone. Who does more than talk.

Well, this is classic Donald... make a deal, claim the other person didn't hold up their end, stiff them on payment.

He's been sued over this several times in the past, but poor people can't afford extended lawsuits against the rich.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Seems to me that they (most of them, anyway) already figured out that it's a bad idea from the start.

If the military were put in charge who would get the credit? Anytime there's a national problem the politicians and businesspeople line up at the money/power/glory trough. Only when they're sated and the plunder is squirting out of both side of their mouths will anything resembling progress occur.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...the Mexican army provides security throughout the country. Inevitably, troops will be pulled from areas where they are needed and moved to the border region - temporarily.

I've said before: if the POTUS wants to stop migration from Central America, he certainly has the power and means to do so. The US military could shut down the Guatemala & Honduran border crossing points within days...

Maybe can call in U.N. forces. We are under attack by a non-member occupying force (they want to occupy our country). :mad:

Upvote 0

yougottabekidding

Nov 3, 2018
Oologah
✟28,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, apparently Mexico did what they needed to do.

Amazing what can happen when you have a true negotiator in the White House.

M-Bob

Exactly right and it is what the left hates - the Mexican Gov was giving lip service as they have for years, but not moving. The President makes a bold move to penalize them and they suddenly put actions to their words.

• Winner
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Exactly right and it is what the left hates - the Mexican Gov was giving lip service as they have for years, but not moving. The President makes a bold move to penalize them and they suddenly put actions to their words.

A common tactic used by many.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Maybe can call in U.N. forces. We are under attack by a non-member occupying force (they want to occupy our country). :mad:
Yeah, sure. Under attack by a few thousand unarmed Central American refugees. I am quaking in my boots. Do something!

Upvote 0

yougottabekidding

Nov 3, 2018
Oologah
✟28,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, sure. Under attack by a few thousand unarmed Central American refugees. I am quaking in my boots. Do something!

That would be a few thousand unarmed Illegal Aliens from different nations a day, every day.

Let's try to be accurate in our descriptors.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That would be a few thousand unarmed Illegal Aliens from different nations a day, every day.

Let's try to be accurate in our descriptors.
"Attack" is still not an accurate descriptor. But the individuals under discussion here are specifically the asylum seekers from the Triangle countries of Central America.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Making an offer they can't refuse...

Now, where have I seen that negotiating tactic before?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's not like the United States of America doesn't or hasn't ever occupied other countries.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If the military were put in charge who would get the credit?

If you don't mind me saying so, people whose first thought is taking the credit have no business being in charge.

The question you should have asked is who's going to take the responsibility?

As in, who's responsible when something goes wrong and a migrant dies in US custody...

...come to think of it, when these migrants are in US, custody, whose rules are they subject to? The government's, or the military?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Attack" is still not an accurate descriptor. But the individuals under discussion here are specifically the asylum seekers from the Triangle countries of Central America.

So ignore the illegals?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Making an offer they can't refuse...

Now, where have I seen that negotiating tactic before?

That's the only language they understand, kinda like us.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not like the United States of America doesn't or hasn't ever occupied other countries.

A valid point. Historically territory is gained by conquest, maintained by force.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you don't mind me saying so, people whose first thought is taking the credit have no business being in charge.

All of our 'leaders' line up at the credit trough when there's credit to be had.

The question you should have asked is who's going to take the responsibility?

(Crickets.)

As in, who's responsible when something goes wrong and a migrant dies in US custody...

(More crickets.)

...come to think of it, when these migrants are in US, custody, whose rules are they subject to? The government's, or the military?

The one that has custody I guess.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
All of our 'leaders' line up at the credit trough when there's credit to be had.

And that's the point. How many of them (up to, including, and especially the Chief Executive) deserve to be where they are?

(Crickets.)

(More crickets.)

And that's the problem. Who's accountable when things go wrong?

The one that has custody I guess.

Don't guess -- know. When you are responsible for the lives of tens of thousands of human beings, "winging it" isn't an option.

Will the migrants be military prisoners? If so, are they subject to the Geneva Conventions? Are they in custody of ICE? Do they get their day in immigration court? What standing will the military have?

And again, who is held accountable for the ones who get neglected, beaten, raped, and/or killed?

Don't give me half an idea and expect others to fill in the blanks just to accommodate you... you gotta do some of the heavy lifting here...

Upvote 0