Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Last week, His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of the OCA concluded his pastoral visit to the OCA's Diocese of Mexico. Traditionally, the metropolitan visits every January, however this didn't happen the last few years because of covid related travel restrictions. His Beatitude was accompanied by His Eminences Archbishop Benjamin of San Fracisco and the West and Alejo of Mexico City and Mexico as well as some staff from the central administration of the OCA and a priest who served as translator (please keep Vladika Benjamin in your prayers, his Parkinson's is not well and he may have to retire sooner then intended).

While in Mexico, Vladika Tikhon made Padre Jose an archpriest (I met him at the All-American Council, good guy) and two people were tonsured readers. The real highlight, in my opinion, was the progress made on the Academia Pastoral Ortodoxa San Basilio (Orthodox Pastoral Academy of St Basil the Great) which is currently under construction in Hidalgo state north of Mexico City - the US equivalent would likely be like building something in Maryland. The academy graduated its first catechetical course for children and the students were presented with certificates. I believe a pastoral academy is one rank below a seminary and the plan is to educate laymen, readers, and subdeacons for the time being. In time, they will train deacons and priests.

As one can see, Orthodoxy continues to grow in Mexico. The OCA's diocese has parishes from as far north as Tijuana bordering the US to as far south as Chiapas bordering Guatemala with the bulk of them in the central parts of the country. A lot of Hispanics across Latin America are unhappy with the Catholic Church and are therefore leaving in droves usually towards Evangelicalism. However, there are many who desire a traditional way of worship and wisely turn to the Orthodox Church instead. The OCA's diocese there uses Spanish along with some indigenous languages unlike the other jurisdictions which will use Arabic, Greek and Russian sometimes imposing their cultural ways onto the Mexican people. Having met Vladika Alejo, some of the clergy, and some of the laity during the last All-American Council I will say this: what the Mexican Orthodox lack in wealth and resources, they more then make up for 1000 times over in faith and sincerity of faith.

For the photos, here: Metropolitan Tikhon Visits Diocese of Mexico

For the English write up, here: Metropolitan Tikhon Visits Diocese of Mexico
For the Spanish write up, here: Visita de Su Beatitud el Metropolitano Thikon a la Diócesis de México