GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In general I think the answer is no. Of course, each local church/pastor has a great deal of freedom to structure the process as they see best. I know many that have some sort of new members class.

I myself simply like to see people show up as regulars a few times before initiating membership conversations. Then, if I find that they already have a Christian background by virtue of membership some place else, I simply ask them what question I can help answer for them regarding either this local church or the denomination. If they ask none, I share a few things about our history, polity, what I think are unique Wesley aspects to our theology and a few local practices. Those who have no Christian background I try to get involved in some sort of Bible study first. But in the end we agree on a date when they will join, they come down front in the service, answer a few basic questions (they are in the hymnal if you want to read them for yourself) and have a representative lay member of the congregation come and extend the right hand of fellowship and it is official.

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've sorta been looking at Wesleyan is more of a blanket term for everyone that is Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene because they all pretty much hail from the same theological background, am I correct?
well here in wesleys parish we do have Methodists, Nazarenes and Wesleyans. They are 3 different churches but yes they all hail from the background of John Wesley. When you say "Wesleyan" you could mean all 3 groups as a whole or you could mean the Wesleyan church..lol^_^

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
well here in wesleys parish we do have Methodists, Nazarenes and Wesleyans. They are 3 different churches but yes they all hail from the background of John Wesley. When you say "Wesleyan" you could mean all 3 groups as a whole or you could mean the Wesleyan church..lol^_^

Generally when I say Wesleyans I refer to the whole grouping of churches, I'll say Wesleyan Church if I mean the Wesleyan Church :D yay for making life easier!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.