Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Kind of surprised this wasn't already being discussed

WASHINGTON—Both Methodists and Catholics believe their celebration of the Eucharist helps them to see God’s glory in all of creation and therefore leads to greater care for the environment, according to a new joint statement produced by the United States dialogue between the United Methodist Church (UMC) and the Catholic Church. The statement, “Heaven and Earth are Full of Your Glory,” was issued April 20, ahead of the traditional observance of Earth Day.

Methodist-Catholic Dialogue Issues Statement On Connection Between Eucharist, Environmental Stewardship

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why do you say that?
when i was a teen i did a lot of stuff with the local methodist church
my mom is a member of that church and has been a lay representitive for the mid ohio conferance
they have a lot of division over some contreversial issues, with the inner city churches being very liberal and the country churches being very conservative and no one really knowing what keeps the Methodist together anymore

Upvote 0

BBCath

Catholic...
Mar 20, 2012
in the south of the US
✟7,899.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
when i was a teen i did a lot of stuff with the local methodist church
my mom is a member of that church and has been a lay representitive for the mid ohio conferance
they have a lot of division over some contreversial issues, with the inner city churches being very liberal and the country churches being very conservative and no one really knowing what keeps the Methodist together anymore

Oh.

I really hate to see all of this division. I don't think this is what God wants for us. :pray:

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh.

I really hate to see all of this division. I don't think this is what God wants for us. :pray:
Not at all! In fact, this division is a scandal to the Gospel and the prayer of Jesus that we will all be one.

Although this document does not say anything positive about intercommunion, it is good to have both traditions stating the importance of environmental ethics and its root in the Eucharist and its celebration.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I also admire the Methodist Church. They are very active in social justice. That is the one thing I admire about them. They are also somewhat liturgical in my experience. I went to a United Methodist Church here in my home town once and the service did seem to be somewhat liturgical. I am not sure if that is the case in all Methodist Churches or not. That said, I do disagree with them on many of their doctrines. One thing I definitely disagree with them on is abortion. Here is their official stance on abortion from their website:

¶ 161 J) Abortion—The beginning of life and the ending of life are the God-given boundaries of human existence. While individuals have always had some degree of control over when they would die, they now have the awesome power to determine when and even whether new individuals will be born. Our belief in the sanctity of unborn human life makes us reluctant to approve abortion.

But we are equally bound to respect the sacredness of the life and well-being of the mother and the unborn child.

We recognize tragic conflicts of life with life that may justify abortion, and in such cases we support the legal option of abortion under proper medical procedures. We support parental, guardian, or other responsible adult notification and consent before abortions can be performed on girls who have not yet reached the age of legal adulthood. We cannot affirm abortion as an acceptable means of birth control, and we unconditionally reject it as a means of gender selection.

We oppose the use of late-term abortion known as dilation and extraction (partial-birth abortion) and call for the end of this practice except when the physical life of the mother is in danger and no other medical procedure is available, or in the case of severe fetal anomalies incompatible with life. Before providing their services, abortion providers should be required to offer women the option of anesthesia.

We call all Christians to a searching and prayerful inquiry into the sorts of conditions that may cause them to consider abortion.

The Church shall offer ministries to reduce unintended pregnancies. We commit our Church to continue to provide nurturing ministries to those who terminate a pregnancy, to those in the midst of a crisis pregnancy, and to those who give birth.

We particularly encourage the Church, the government, and social service agencies to support and facilitate the option of adoption. (See ¶ 161.L.) We affirm and encourage the Church to assist the ministry of crisis pregnancy centers and pregnancy resource centers that compassionately help women find feasible alternatives to abortion.

Governmental laws and regulations do not provide all the guidance required by the informed Christian conscience. Therefore, a decision concerning abortion should be made only after thoughtful and prayerful consideration by the parties involved, with medical, family, pastoral, and other appropriate counsel.

SOURCE: Abortion - UMC.org

As you can see, they take a somewhat lenient stance on abortion. The Catholic Church, on the other hand, completely condemns abortion for any reason. I agree with the Catholic Church. Abortion is intrinsically evil and is murder regardless of the reason for the abortion. It doesn't matter if the mother's life is in danger, if the unborn child is deformed, if the unborn child isn't expected to survive long after birth, if the unborn child has a disability, if the unborn child was conceived out of rape or incest, or any other thing that people may consider as justifying abortion. Abortion is always intrinsically evil no matter the reason for obtaining it.

That said, I agree with the Methodist Church on some issues. For example, they are very active in social justice. I believe that Catholics should be as well and indeed, I think many Catholics are active in social justice. Another thing I agree with the Methodist Church is their stance on marriage. According to their website, they seem to reject "gay marriage". I agree with them on this. I also reject "gay marriage". In my opinion, there is no such thing as "gay marriage" except in the eyes of the law. God certainly doesn't recognize such unions as marriages.

So while there are some things that I disagree with the Methodist Church on and some things that I agree with them on, I do believe that they are good Christians. I hope and pray that one day all Methodists will be converted to Catholicism. Indeed, I hope that one day all Protestants will be converted to Catholicism. I hope and pray that the Church will one day be united as one Church under one pastor, the Pope.

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I also admire the Methodist Church. They are very active in social justice. That is the one thing I admire about them. They are also somewhat liturgical in my experience. I went to a United Methodist Church here in my home town once and the service did seem to be somewhat liturgical. I am not sure if that is the case in all Methodist Churches or not. That said, I do disagree with them on many of their doctrines. One thing I definitely disagree with them on is abortion. Here is their official stance on abortion from their website:

As you can see, they take a somewhat lenient stance on abortion. The Catholic Church, on the other hand, completely condemns abortion for any reason. I agree with the Catholic Church. Abortion is intrinsically evil and is murder regardless of the reason for the abortion. It doesn't matter if the mother's life is in danger, if the unborn child is deformed, if the unborn child isn't expected to survive long after birth, if the unborn child has a disability, if the unborn child was conceived out of rape or incest, or any other thing that people may consider as justifying abortion. Abortion is always intrinsically evil no matter the reason for obtaining it.

That said, I agree with the Methodist Church on some issues. For example, they are very active in social justice. I believe that Catholics should be as well and indeed, I think many Catholics are active in social justice. Another thing I agree with the Methodist Church is their stance on marriage. According to their website, they seem to reject "gay marriage". I agree with them on this. I also reject "gay marriage". In my opinion, there is no such thing as "gay marriage" except in the eyes of the law. God certainly doesn't recognize such unions as marriages.

So while there are some things that I disagree with the Methodist Church on and some things that I agree with them on, I do believe that they are good Christians. I hope and pray that one day all Methodists will be converted to Catholicism. Indeed, I hope that one day all Protestants will be converted to Catholicism. I hope and pray that the Church will one day be united as one Church under one pastor, the Pope.
Can we maybe try to make this a more positive thread? Obviously there are disagreements, but we should rejoice in those things we DO agree in, especially when an official statement is made like the one in the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can we maybe try to make this a more positive thread? Obviously there are disagreements, but we should rejoice in those things we DO agree in, especially when an official statement is made like the one in the OP.

I'm sorry FullyMT. I hope I did not offend you. I was not trying to be negative.

Upvote 0

VolRaider

Dec 18, 2010
Athens, TN
✟17,538.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

The majority of Methodists - especially in the South - are pro-life. There are many social conservatives in the Methodist Church.

Lifewatch Home Page

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status