• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Metformin / Glucophage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genuine

Proudly supporting our troops!
Mar 12, 2006
North Pole, Alaska
Visit site
✟15,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Recently I saw a new doctor. He decided to start me on Glucophage. Is anyone else taking this?? It's not even been a month yet and already I have noticed a change.

~No more crazy cravings!! I use to have these food cravings all the time - not anymore. I just eat when I'm hungry.

~Weight loss made easier. I lost 25lbs on my own before I started Glucophage and since then I've lost an additional 8lbs (it was much easier this month!!).

Only bad thing is I get these hot flashes that make me feel like I'm melting from the inside out. But no more than 1 or 2 a day. I'm so excited though! The doctor said in the long run I could get pregnant with the help of this drug!!!

Anyone else have any luck with Metformin/Glucophage?

N

Nobility

Well, I've been on the minimum dosage (250mg) for two weeks now, and as of today I'm moving up to 500mg. I'm supposed to work up to 1000mg, but found I was sick (tummy and that) and got quite a bad rash (which is not ocmmon, but does happen for up to 4 weeks) the first time I tried so doing it slower this time :)

I haven't noticed huge differences yet though, but I suspect my food cravings may be lesser. I wasn't able to take the pill for the PCOS because I got anxiety from it.

Upvote 0

PastorMikeJ

combat veteran
Nov 10, 2005
Shaftsbury, Vermont
✟3,808.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am on it the max dosage..been on it for over a year...it seems to help control my blood sugar levels but I still had to go on insulin...but like I said it helped and mine is the results of exposure to agent orange according to the V.A. keep taking it!!

Upvote 0

solomonswolf

Aug 20, 2008
✟120.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Have been on it for the past 5 years and went off this past month. Initially I lost 50lbs in a month and a half, hormones (ecluding insulin) went down to normal, and I felt so much better. Since then my body has worked up a tolerance and the medication has ceased to work. Cravings came back, hormones went wonky, and almost all my weight has been put back on. Bariatric surgery here I come!

I was on 2000mg a day for all of those 5 years. Definately take the medication consistently. Not doing so can screw up your body terribly. Because of my high dose I would get terrible diarrhea if I stopped then started up again. Also make sure you take the meds with a decent amount of food. I always got terrible cramps if I didn't eat enough or waited too long after eating to take it.

One thing to watch if you lose a lot of weight with metformin: gallstones. After I dropped the initial 50 lbs I began having periods of throwing up in the middle of the night. It went from once a month, to once every couple weeks, to once a week, then everyday before I was admitted to the ER with pancreatitis and in dire need of gallbladder removal. If you have pain below the breast area that feels like a lady with long nails clawing your insides out or pain on the right side of your abdomen followed by vomiting go to the ER IMMEDIATELY.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2008
US
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey there. Wanted to let you know i had really good luck with metformin. my husband and i have been trying to have a baby for almost two years and we could never figure out why i wasnt getting pregnant turns out i have pcos. I started taking metformin and a month later i got pregnant! We lost the baby - but i ran out of the medicine 4 weeks into my pregnancy and my doctor ( midwife ) and i are not on such good terms and she wouldnt refill my meds. I started losing weight - lost like 15 lbs in a month which was really exciting for me and i started to feel semi normal. I dont even know what that is anymore. But just thought i would let you know i works well for me when i am on it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caitlin.ann

Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Recently I saw a new doctor. He decided to start me on Glucophage. Is anyone else taking this?? It's not even been a month yet and already I have noticed a change.

~No more crazy cravings!! I use to have these food cravings all the time - not anymore. I just eat when I'm hungry.

~Weight loss made easier. I lost 25lbs on my own before I started Glucophage and since then I've lost an additional 8lbs (it was much easier this month!!).

Only bad thing is I get these hot flashes that make me feel like I'm melting from the inside out. But no more than 1 or 2 a day. I'm so excited though! The doctor said in the long run I could get pregnant with the help of this drug!!!

Anyone else have any luck with Metformin/Glucophage?
I just started it.
I've had worse cravings but I've lost weight easier. I'm currently on 500mg daily.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.