• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Messianics who preach circumcision

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by 31gH9N.9., May 25, 2018.

1. visionary

visionary Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I. Supporter

+6,163
    Messianic
    Do you believe it is that the purpose of God's law is for law and order?

2. tampasteve

tampasteve Lutheran Messianic Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+2,409
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Could you clarify what you mean by "God's law"?

3. AbbaLove

AbbaLove Circumcision of the Heart is Messianic

+569
    Messianic
    In Relationship
    Being that you mentioned it first (Law) assume it is the same "Law" referred to by Paul in the following verse ...

The one who is physically uncircumcised yet keeps the Law will condemn you who, even though you have the written code and circumcision, are a lawbreaker
    (Romans 2:27).​

Vis doesn't capitalize God's "law" but me thinks you both are referring to the same "Law" that Paul refers to in the above verse. Vis, do you think its the same Law referred to by Paul when he says, "yet keeps the Law" ? Note: A Jewish women is physically uncircumcised.

4. CherubRam

CherubRam Well-Known Member

+743
    United States
    Oneness
    Private
    US-Others
    Deuteronomy 7:12
    If you pay attention to these laws and are careful to follow them, then Yahwah your God will keep his covenant and will love you, as he swore to your ancestors.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations

KJ21
    “Therefore it shall come to pass, if ye hearken to these judgments and keep and do them, that the Lord thy God shall keep unto thee the covenant and the mercy which He swore unto thy fathers.

5. AbbaLove

AbbaLove Circumcision of the Heart is Messianic

+569
    Messianic
    In Relationship

Are you implying there's a difference between "God's law" and "God's Law" ? This may help Vis to better know how to answer your question to her.

6. Open Heart

Open Heart Well-Known Member

+4,321
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    I don't see the Sinai covenant as a separate covenant, but as an addendum to the Abrahamic covenant.

Abraham: I unconditionally give the promised land to your descendants through Isaac. This is an everlasting covenant -- it cannot be broken.

Moses: AND if you keep my commandments, I'll actually let you live there and bless you. Now if you break my commandments I'll punish you and kick you out of the land, but the land will still be yours.

7. Open Heart

+4,321
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    The Original Covenant is worthless (obsolete) when it comes to eternal salvation -- you cannot get to heaven by obeying the law (not that you ever could, but people had begun to think so). The Original Covenant is also impermanent and "passing away." It will only last til the end of the world, whereas the New Covenant will last into eternity.

8. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Senior Veteran

+3,212
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    Galatians says as much. Putting the Abrahamic and Old Covenants, Paul says:

Galatians 3:16 Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, “And to offsprings,” referring to many, but referring to one, “And to your offspring,” who is Christ. 17 This is what I mean: the law, which came 430 years afterward, does not annul a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to make the promise void.

9. chunkofcoal

chunkofcoal Messianic Christian

+348
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I'd been looking forward to your response to Open Heart's question - I thought 'sanctification' would've been an interesting topic. Maybe start another thread? :)

10. visionary

+6,163
    Messianic
    I think the statute laws are written on parchment. Laws referring to circumcision are found there. When I say God's Law, I am referring to the TEN written in stone and to be written in the hearts of man. The laws that are written by Moses, I refer to as Moses' law just to be clear. This is a definite case of the "weightier matter".

11. Open Heart

+4,321
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    go for it. I'll participate.

12. Open Heart

+4,321
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    Interesting. I tend to refer to all the Torah as God's laws since God is the one who gave them to Moses. Calling them Moses' laws are fine too, since he was the intermediary.

I tend to think that "Loving your neighbor as yourself" is more important than "Thou shalt not steal," even though it is through Moses, because it is the principle behind thou shalt not steal. Which is why Jesus said it is the second greatest commandment.

13. visionary

+6,163
    Messianic
    The last 6 of the 10 are all about "loving your neighbor" and in those last 6 you will find "thou shalt not steal", so I could not pull them apart and say one is more important.

14. Open Heart

+4,321
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    You missed the point.

15. Doctor.Sphinx

Doctor.Sphinx Well-Known Member

+2,889
    Egypt
    Christian
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Doesn't this depend on your point of view, and your definition of circumcision? For a Jewish woman is also not uncircumcised (neither question really makes sense applied to females). From this frame of view, a Jewish woman could be classified as circumcised. Jewish females were included in the covenant, and only Jewish males cut off if uncircumcised after the eighth day.

16. Randy777

Randy777 Well-Known Member

+140
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Jesus was before Abraham was born.
    My outlook in regard to the law is in the context of what is sin that leads to death not for obtaining righteousness. That to me is not by the law as there are those who do so yet reject Jesus.
    And I stated like Paul I still see all the law as law. But not all law as binding.
    And in regard to the Sabbath absolutely no work or chores even cooking meals was not permitted. Meals had to be prepared in advance. I don't keep such a day and never have. Nor will I start doing so. Unlike the first believers I assume they had done so their whole lives. Its not accept Christ now start keeping the sabbath. I don't see the sabbath as binding for Christians. And certainly not a means of obtaining righteousness. If it were binding then anyone who doesn't continue to keep the sabbath would be one who continues to sin.
    However the do nots -theft, murder, adultery, false witness, sexual immorality and the do's -honoring your father and mother are more universal to mankind apart from Judaism.
    And since Christ Jesus is the only way to the Father that takes care of idol worship or worshipping false Gods. For in Christ one is not doing so and is loving God and in so is loved by God.

God put Hs Spirit in us that we might not sin against Him. He writes His covenant on our hearts by that Spirit. A new creation is made with the believer.

17. BukiRob

BukiRob Newbie

+959
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Constitution

Quoting Acts 15 without understanding the context is error.

Acts 15:1 makes clear that the entire debate is WHO CAN BE SAVED and NOT the ending of Torah which is what the gentile led church teaches.

18. Randy777

Randy777 Well-Known Member

+140
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Do to forum rules I am limited here. The original question was on circumcision and that was addressed in acts 15.
    Lets leave it at that for peace sake.
    Randy

19. BukiRob

BukiRob Newbie

+959
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Constitution

This is a quote from Jerimiah. The new covenant is the Torah written on the heart on in the mind...

Far, FAR too many simply ignore the Master's words: DO NOT THINK THAT I HAVE COME TO ABOLISH TORAH!

20. BukiRob

BukiRob Newbie

+959
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    And again, IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND Acts 15 YOU WILL NOT UNDERSTAND the admonition of Circumcision!!!