loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Merry Christmas, You’re Fired: AT&T Lays Off 1400 After Trump Tax Breaks
An estimated 1400 American workers have been kicked to the curb just days before Christmas, courtesy of employer AT&T and a new corporate tax break signed by US President Donald Trump.

Broadband installers formerly employed by AT&T reported that they received termination notices just days before Christmas, despite earlier promises by the telecommunications giant that current corporate policy was centered around "creating jobs," according to the New York Post.
tulc(MAGA by laying off people?) :scratch:

Reactions: ArmenianJohn

Saucy

King of CF
Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟831,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah I'm not finding this on any reputable sites, and the ones I see it on say it was 'hundreds' of workers 'reportedly' laid off in one location in Arkansas.

Saucy (wonders if tulc is digging deep for fake news now that the president is winning)

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I'm not finding this on any reputable sites, and the ones I see it on say it was 'hundreds' of workers 'reportedly' laid off in one location in Arkansas.
Link?

Saucy (wonders if tulc is digging deep for fake news now that the president is winning)
Never thought President was doing anything but winning, he doesn't live in the dumpster fire he started, that would be the rest of America, he just collects the money and waits for his base to praise him some more. :wave:
tulc("he's winning" that's adorable!) :D

Upvote 0

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's hard to read what they are doing. I mean YEP they are laying off workers, but they seem to be rather vague regarding changes to their company. It also mentioned they are moving some of the laid off employees to different parts of the company.

So, it almost reads like they are moving away from the Direct TV product to something more technologically advanced. Who knows what that is, because they sound like they are having issues with buying Time Warner.

They have U verse for the wired customers, and the Direct TV for the non wired customers (good for more rural customers especially). The only thing I can think of is expanding the customer base if they acquire Time Warner.

Something HUGE like this would have happened with the tax deal or not. I have to wonder what they are planning on doing with the laid off workers, and moving them to other parts of the company. It doesn't mention what their new jobs would be. That is curious.

I know they have recently booted a broadband program more geared towards rural customers that have no internet. Fixed Wireless Internet without the Satellite. If that is successful it will help customers that many providers - including them - that have been left behind. Of course they are encouraging bundling - which everyone does. Although, that product by itself with no bundle is cheaper than Satellite internet.

It will be interesting to watch to see what happens.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does this have to do with Trump?
Some people believe that AT&T giving $1,000 bonuses is a credit to Trump.

Wonder it these 1,400 are getting that bonus as a departing gift?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saucy

King of CF
Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟831,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Some people believe that AT&T giving $1,000 bonuses is a credit to Trump.

Wonder it these 1,400 are getting that bonus as a departing gift?
Well, that's what AT&T said themselves.

DRgztUhWkAAp49v.jpg

I still don't see ANYTHING at all saying AT&T plans on firing thousands of employees. Most likely fake news designed to quell some of the enthusiasm generated by the bill and by the businesses now giving bonuses, investing, and looking to expand.

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, that's what AT&T said themselves.

DRgztUhWkAAp49v.jpg

I still don't see ANYTHING at all saying AT&T plans on firing thousands of employees. Most likely fake news designed to quell some of the enthusiasm generated by the bill and by the businesses now giving bonuses, investing, and looking to expand.
And corporations are always so honest and never, ever would say anything self-serving.
Actions speak louder than words.
Are the lay-offs also due to the tax plan?

With one hand we are giving out bonuses and with the other hand we're taking jobs away.
Is this an example of not letting one hand know what the other is doing, so the company got it's tongue wrapped around it's eye tooth and couldn't see what it was saying?

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟831,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And corporations are always so honest and never, ever would say anything self-serving.
Actions speak louder than words.
Are the lay-offs also due to the tax plan?

With one hand we are giving out bonuses and with the other hand we're taking jobs away.
Is this an example of not letting one hand know what the other is doing, so the company got it's tongue wrapped around it's eye tooth and couldn't see what it was saying?
1) As I said, I still haven't seen anything from a legit source saying there are layoffs.
2) Numerous companies did the same thing right after the bill passed.

What are you really doubting here? Are you just being obstinate for the sake of it? You have no reason to believe otherwise. Companies are grateful for a lower tax rate.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's hard to read what they are doing. I mean YEP they are laying off workers, but they seem to be rather vague regarding changes to their company. It also mentioned they are moving some of the laid off employees to different parts of the company.

So, it almost reads like they are moving away from the Direct TV product to something more technologically advanced. Who knows what that is, because they sound like they are having issues with buying Time Warner.

They have U verse for the wired customers, and the Direct TV for the non wired customers (good for more rural customers especially). The only thing I can think of is expanding the customer base if they acquire Time Warner.

Something HUGE like this would have happened with the tax deal or not. I have to wonder what they are planning on doing with the laid off workers, and moving them to other parts of the company. It doesn't mention what their new jobs would be. That is curious.

I know they have recently booted a broadband program more geared towards rural customers that have no internet. Fixed Wireless Internet without the Satellite. If that is successful it will help customers that many providers - including them - that have been left behind. Of course they are encouraging bundling - which everyone does. Although, that product by itself with no bundle is cheaper than Satellite internet.

It will be interesting to watch to see what happens.
Yeah. Direct TV is dead. And I also heard that ATT is giving a fairly large bonus to somewhere around 200,000 employees which IS directly related to the tax cut.

This story is more about the churn in the cable vs streaming battle going on right now.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟831,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I finally found one from Newsweek. The article says the announcement came BEFORE the law passed.

Across the Midwest, an estimated 600 workers were notified they were being laid off by the company on December 16, a week before AT&T announced it was doling out $1,000 bonuses to 200,000 of its employees in celebration of the Republican Party’s tax overhaul.

They determined LAST YEAR that shrinking the company by 30% this year wouldn't be out of the question and it has a lot to do with their desire to acquire Time Warner. The bonus was offered after the tax bill passed. Most of the workers laid off or fired were line workers and DirecTV installers.

Last year, senior executives at AT&T told The New York Times that “shrinking the [company's] workforce by 30 percent is not out of the question.”

As reported by Reuters, AT&T is vying to acquire media conglomerate Time Warner Inc., but the Justice Department sued to prevent the $85.4 billion acquisition in November for fears that AT&T might charge rival networks “hundreds of millions of dollars more per year” for Time Warner’s catalog of movies and T.V. channels if the merger would stand.

AT&T announces thousands of layoffs, firings just in time for Christmas

So, the bonus was due to the tax cut. The decision to fire or lay off workers is irrelevant to that, as those decisions came before the tax cut and related to the dying DirecTV brand and their plan to acquire Time Warner.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1) As I said, I still haven't seen anything from a legit source saying there are layoffs.
2) Numerous companies did the same thing right after the bill passed.

What are you really doubting here? Are you just being obstinate for the sake of it? You have no reason to believe otherwise. Companies are grateful for a lower tax rate.
Of coarse they are grateful for the lower tax rate. Nobody is saying that they aren't, that would be HUGE stupid.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
  • Useful