Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
There will always be a minority that believe in "random mythological figures". The % of people in the US that believe in bigfoot, UFOs, etc. is much less than half. What if the majority were this gullible? Can we deal with them as one would with a "normal" country?

It's the "gullibility"-part that's problematic, not necessarily the weirdness of specific beliefs - the latter is but a symptom of gullibility (provided that people have full access to alternative information).

And gullibility is problematic because it makes people susceptible to manipulation: bringing them to support a "good cause" that's actually quite bad, or fostering animosity towards a minority based on weird superstitions - that sort of thing.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Uh. Last I checked we had a ton of people who are living in democracies who still believe in weird things (bigfoot, to name just one). Belief in random mythological figures isn't limited to just one population/one government type.

That was the point I was trying to make.

There will always be a minority that believe in "random mythological figures". The % of people in the US that believe in bigfoot, UFOs, etc. is much less than half. What if the majority were this gullible? Can we deal with them as one would with a "normal" country?

Almost half the population of the US believes the world is about 6,000 years old and created literally as described in Genesis. We have political leaders who proudly announce it publicly to be true. I don't think belief in mermaids will be a problem for democracy.

Upvote 0
M

MattRose

Well I guess it's just that I thought we were on a level playing field. They believe this about religion and God and we believe something else. Ok, we can work around that... maybe. Suppose "they" and "we" have our first big meeting at a lovely seaside convention center. Can we even turn to page one of the "getting along" plan if they are glancing out the window checking for mermaids? Can we discuss egalitarianism with 4 year olds?

Upvote 0
M

MattRose

That was the point I was trying to make.

Almost half the population of the US believes the world is about 6,000 years old and created literally as described in Genesis. We have political leaders who proudly announce it publicly to be true. I don't think belief in mermaids will be a problem for democracy.

Religion is something we learn to deal with and usually ignore when talking politics. Most people know that in a democracy we aren't going to achieve much if we have to have everyone agree on religion before we start.

Upvote 0
M

MattRose

It's the "gullibility"-part that's problematic, not necessarily the weirdness of specific beliefs - the latter is but a symptom of gullibility (provided that people have full access to alternative information).

And gullibility is problematic because it makes people susceptible to manipulation: bringing them to support a "good cause" that's actually quite bad, or fostering animosity towards a minority based on weird superstitions - that sort of thing.

Ok, someone has hit the nail on the head. Then again I usually agree with posts that Jane writes, provided she doesn't use big words. (I can't tell if I agree with those posts.)

Upvote 0

Gardenia

Of the Hearth and Hedge
May 1, 2005
New Hampshire
✟18,792.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Religion is something we learn to deal with and usually ignore when talking politics. Most people know that in a democracy we aren't going to achieve much if we have to have everyone agree on religion before we start.

I'm not sure where you live that people ignore religion when talking politics... but... Well, I'm pretty sure I'd have an easier time ignoring someone's belief in mermaids or bigfoot or whatever else, because those beliefs are much less likely to affect their voting on laws than religious beliefs.
Not to mention the role religion plays when countries sit down and negotiate and try to discuss whatever issue with each other. Religion is probably going to play a much bigger role than mermaids will...

Also, you met two random people from this country. You could easily meet two random people from the US who believe in something equally strange - there are a lot of people here who believe in big foot, UFOs, or other equally strange things. Maybe mermaids are their equivalent, it's probably not a big deal in that sense.
People everywhere are gullible. I can guarantee it's not just a problem in their country.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not sure where you live that people ignore religion when talking politics... but... Well, I'm pretty sure I'd have an easier time ignoring someone's belief in mermaids or bigfoot or whatever else, because those beliefs are much less likely to affect their voting on laws than religious beliefs.

You mean since all the 2012 Republican presidential candidates claim that God is calling them to run for president and that religion and a 2000 year old text are the primary drivers for their stances on all issues including economics, civil rights, and foreign policy?

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

No - really? I think I need to see a citation for this. Not from US politicers, but from some decent study. Maybe we need a federal license plate that reads "the majority of weird beliefs come from the US?"

NJ, home of the Jersey Devil and the headless horseman.

Upvote 0
M

MattRose

Now wait, you know that many people within 1 mile of you are going to have diverse views on religion. You could have a meaningful discussion with them about how to help the unemployed couldn't you? Could you keep a straight face when discussing the same politics with someone who insists that the first item on the agenda is how to provide food for unemployed mermaids?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rationalt

Oct 18, 2009
✟3,858.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

That people are gullible for believing what they were told from the childhood is an oversimplification.

Osama Bin laden was a successful civil engineer who grew and managed successful construction business.many islamic terrorists are technically savvy to use ingenious methods of Bomb blasts and evade sophisticated anti-terror mechanisms.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Could you keep a straight face when discussing the same politics with someone who insists that the first item on the agenda is how to provide food for unemployed mermaids?

Together with the thread title, this makes an interesting perspective you have picked up there in Pakistan ^_^

Upvote 0
M

MattRose

That people are gullible for believing what they were told from the childhood is an oversimplification.

Osama Bin laden was a successful civil engineer who grew and managed successful construction business.many islamic terrorists are technically savvy to use ingenious methods of Bomb balsts and evade sophisticated anti-terror mechanisms.

I would assume that the Osamas of the world eventually change their views on mermaids when they take classes at university and see how the world works. These 2 fellas I'm working with might do the same if they were exposed to higher learning. I'm more concerned that they haven't changed their views at the advanced age of 35 even with some exposure to the outside world. Maybe their society doesn't prepare them for the real world, and they hold to beliefs that are absurd. Can we have peace and harmony with a society so unenlightened?

Upvote 0

Rationalt

Oct 18, 2009
✟3,858.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I would assume that the Osamas of the world eventually change their views on mermaids when they take classes at university and see how the world works. These 2 fellas I'm working with might do the same if they were exposed to higher learning. I'm more concerned that they haven't changed their views at the advanced age of 35 even with some exposure to the outside world. Maybe their society doesn't prepare them for the real world, and they hold to beliefs that are absurd. Can we have peace and harmony with a society so unenlightened?

As i posted before Some of the Osamas of the world had University degrees and have certifiable skills that require some respectable Logical thinking.

So, your assumption is gullible ;).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens

Osama Bin laden was a successful civil engineer who grew and managed successful construction business.many islamic terrorists are technically savvy to use ingenious methods of Bomb blasts and evade sophisticated anti-terror mechanisms.

I think we tend to overestimate the concept of logic (which is not quite the same as reason). At its core, logic is black-and-white thinking - which is probably why many people with a strong affinity for mathematics, the natural sciences and computer technology tend to be socially inept.
It is possible to sustain absurd world views and even to justify atrocious crimes simply by sticking to the internal logic of the belief system in question.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
At its core, logic is black-and-white thinking - which is probably why many people with a strong affinity for mathematics, the natural sciences and computer technology tend to be socially inept.

I've never heard of this connection. What makes you think that black-and-white thinking explains social ineptness? It seems to me that very social people can be black-and-white thinkers.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I've never heard of this connection. What makes you think that black-and-white thinking explains social ineptness? It seems to me that very social people can be black-and-white thinkers.
It comes with the territory of trying to fit things into "neat" categories. Social interaction isn't black-and-white, nor are people for that matter. They just don't fall into such neat and orderly patterns, whereas numbers do. They are predictable, logical, controllable. A one is always one by definition, and one plus one equals two, every single time.

I've always found that the mathematically minded have an exceptionally hard time grasping people, in some cases to the point where social interaction becomes a frightening prospect to them.

Upvote 0
M

MattRose

It comes with the territory of trying to fit things into "neat" categories. Social interaction isn't black-and-white, nor are people for that matter. They just don't fall into such neat and orderly patterns, whereas numbers do. They are predictable, logical, controllable. A one is always one by definition, and one plus one equals two, every single time.

I've always found that the mathematically minded have an exceptionally hard time grasping people, in some cases to the point where social interaction becomes a frightening prospect to them.

I have a BS in Physics and I'm socially inept. So I fit the standard. I find TV and video games more interesting that 9 out of 10 social interactions I might have.

Upvote 0