Los Angeles
✟32,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m curious, what are you basing that on? In 15+ years of working in, managing and setting up mental health crisis services, and around 5 years of relevant study, I only met a small number - less than 50 - out of thousands of people I or one of the teams I managed worked with who were religious in some way.
Interesting. Almost every form of delusional psychosis I've ever seen incorporates some belief in demons which requiresa religious worldview.

I'm specifically talking about skitzofrenia and other more serious issues. Not depression and bipolar.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. Almost every form of delusional psychosis I've ever seen incorporates some belief in demons which requiresa religious worldview.

I'm specifically talking about skitzofrenia and other more serious issues. Not depression and bipolar.

That’s new on me. People who I’ve worked with experiencing symptoms of schizophrenia or other psychotic phenomena have described their voices and other hallucinations as real, because they are, i.e they are real in that person’s mind, to all intents and purposes a real experience. I haven’t met many people who attributed them to demons though, what you are talking about might be more like a cultural reference, in the West most countries are nominally Christian and the idea of demons and spirits etc are part of all cultures, thinking of aggressive voices as ‘demons’ is only part of a religious world view in that very broad sense. There’s a popular notion that voices and other psychotic affects are linked with ideas of demons etc but that’s more of a Hollywood (Netflix?) version of mental illness.

Upvote 0

GUANO

Jul 3, 2013
Los Angeles
✟32,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That’s new on me. People who I’ve worked with experiencing symptoms of schizophrenia or other psychotic phenomena have described their voices and other hallucinations as real, because they are, i.e they are real in that person’s mind, to all intents and purposes a real experience. I haven’t met many people who attributed them to demons though, what you are talking about might be more like a cultural reference, in the West most countries are nominally Christian and the idea of demons and spirits etc are part of all cultures, thinking of aggressive voices as ‘demons’ is only part of a religious world view in that very broad sense. There’s a popular notion that voices and other psychotic affects are linked with ideas of demons etc but that’s more of a Hollywood (Netflix?) version of mental illness.
Try working in a church lol

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Nb @mmbattlestar apologies for going off topic a bit

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yes. But the life God calls us into in Christ is an "abundant life" (Jn. 10:10), a life characterized by peace, joy, love, holiness, etc. (Ga. 5:22, 23). Scripture tells us that the one in whom the Holy Spirit of God dwells has not been given a spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and a sound mind. (2 Ti. 1:7) Over and over again the apostle Paul writes that peace and grace are found in a relationship with God. (Ro. 1:7; 1 Cor. 1:3; Ga. 1:3; Eph. 1:2, etc.) What, then, of a life characterized by delusion, and fear, and psychological turmoil? How is such a life to be reconciled to the peaceful, stable, grace-filled life of the Christian believer described in Scripture?

Yes. This is what Scripture clearly teaches.

And what if you hadn't? Would your second, spiritual birth be any less true? No. Be very careful, then, not to make your experience the basis of your confidence in your salvation. You are saved because God says He will save you in His word, not because you have had an experience that seems to validate God's promise of salvation. Your faith must not be in your experience but in what God has said.

What is at the very bottom of the Pharisees accusation that Christ cast out demons by the power of the devil? Why would they say such a thing in the first place? Were they speaking out of obsessive-compulsiveness, out of the addled thinking of a hyper-anxious mind? No. They had rejected Christ as the Messiah and sought to encourage others to do the same. And so they proclaimed Christ's power, the power of the Spirit of God, demonic. Doing so, though, was merely the result, a symptom, of their wicked heart's rejection of Christ. At the core of what they said was incorrigible, adamantine unbelief and rebellion and it was these things that made them unforgivable, not saying, "The Holy Spirit is the devil."

You're right, if Christ never came to me and showed me my entire born again experience I still would be born again. I just would have had to rely on faith instead of saying for definitively sure, I am born again. So because Christ came to me I KNOW for 100% sure that I have been born again. There's no way to doubt it. But you're also right that I shouldn't rely on just that to say "I am born again" the evidence is there in my changed life. I am a completely different person than I was when I first came to Christ. I never wanted to give to the poor before and I do now. I was struggling everyday with depression and I'm not really all that depressed anymore. I am not as wicked as I used to be. Not as hateful. I am a completely new creation than what I was before.

It also makes sense that the pharisees who denied Jesus and called the holy spirit demonic were trying to get people away from Christ. So it makes sense that that's the unforgivable sin. Rejecting Christ until you die. Or becoming so hardened that you will not WANT to come to Christ. But, I still wouldn't make youtube videos anyway of you mocking or insulting the holy spirit which I would never do. I love the holy spirit. I mean Jesus can't lie and Jesus said that not a single believer would be lost. So, that's it. Once you're born again your entrance into heaven is secure because Christ said so. Christ didn't lie and cannot lie.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think it is very important to remember that those who enter the kingdom of God is through faith in believing in Christ. Pre Christ you were steeped in seeing, dreaming and psychosis etc. As a new creation, I would encourage you to not give heed to these seducing spirits....even if they look to be of God. "...bringing down every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.." 2 Cor 10:5
But instead to live according to your new creation life. When these episodes come, collect them and do not think about them (to give them power), and Give them to Christ. Say this, " I will not receive this into my spirit, I reject it, I give it to you Jesus and choose to receive you and the new life you give me".
Referring to your question I would say that instead of including your mental illness as a new creation, you would begin walking towards freedom that Christ provides....by submitting to Him (not the illness) and resisting the Devil (by not taking in all that is thrown at you) ....and he will flee. James 4:7 ....it's not all immediate- it's a walk. The devil will put up a fight...never forget that Christ in you is greater....always.
Begin to lift Praise to God. Think of it as a disinfectant spray to evil. Do it as often as you can. Out loud, in your mind too. When you read scripture, think of it as washing your mind, because that is what it does.
Suit up dear son Epes.6:10-18, you are in a battle, and you have already been given Victory, just begin walking in it.

Thank you for your post, I will do that.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
… My question is, can a Christian have a mental illness and still be saved? Can they have daily delusions similar to mine and still be saved? I know that It's scriptural that once a Christian has salvation they cannot lose that salvation. I know for sure that I am born again, since I saw the whole thing. I know that Jesus said that he would not lose a single person given to him by God the Father in John 6:37-6:40. But scripture also says in 3 of the gospels that if you commit blasphemy of the holy spirit than you have no forgiveness. Thinking that they Holy Spirit could be Satan could be along those lines. So am I lost? Are people who have mental illnesses lost? That's my question. I hope some people can answer me and thank you for reading my long and rambling thread XD.

When salvation means forgiveness of sins, rescue from the penalty of sin, I think it is freely offered to all. But that is not all. According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous:

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

So, to get eternal life, person must be righteous. I have understood righteousness means wisdom of the just, right understanding and attitude that makes person do good and right things, like love his neighbor. And I don’t see why “mentally ill” couldn’t get that.

Righteous person can also think many things, good and bad and evaluate them. That one thinks different matters, is not itself wrong. Wrong thing is, if person wants bad things (like murders, lies and theft).

If you get bad idea on your mind, but understand it is not good and right idea, it is good sign and I believe it is sign of righteousness.

I think one helpful thing could be to keep things simple. God’s will is that people love others as themselves. If you understand that is good and remain in that, it is enough. It is not absolutely necessary to go deeper.

And if you have visions of Satan or Jesus and can’t know who is who, I recommend to read the Bible. It can help you to know Jesus.

Beloved, don't believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit who confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit who doesn't confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God, and this is the spirit of the antichrist, of whom you have heard that it comes. Now it is in the world already.
1 John 4:1-3

test everything. Hold on to what is good, but keep away from every kind of evil.

First Epistle to the Thessalonians 5:21

Upvote 0

ScumYetServant

Mar 28, 2018
Colorado Springs
✟12,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was really confused on what section to post this thread in so if it's in the wrong section could you please report it so that a moderator could move it to the correct section? Thank you.

So, I was considering writing a website to help Christians who have a mental illness get through their day to day life and to teach those who have a mental illness that it is not hopeless and that they can still accept Jesus.

I have experience with this because back in 2012 I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder with psychosis. Later on my psychiatrist found my "proper" diagnosis and diagnosed me with Schizo-affective disorder since I was showing symptoms of Schizophrenia as well as Bipolar. I've had my symptoms of my mental illness all of my life but I didn't get my first psychotic episode until I was 26 years old. My first episode lasted for almost a month.

I never really reported my delusions or hallucinations to my parents or doctors so they had no clue what was going on. A little over a year later in 2013 (November I believe) I decided to give my life to Christ. It was the best decision I ever made. But, it also was upsetting. Why? Because ever since I started becoming a Christian slowly I've been getting some really dangerous delusions. It's been a daily struggle just to survive with daily delusions of Jesus being Satan, the Holy Spirit being Satan, my wife being demonic, ...etc. Basically if it exists, I think that It's really Satan in disguise or it's demonic in some way, shape, or form. The last full blown psychotic episode I had almost 2 years ago, I had to be hospitalized for. Because it was my worst one ever.

About a month ago I had a really scary dream that Jesus was Satan. I don't believe it was a dream I believe it was an attack from demons/Satan. Why? Well because first of all, I don't really dream. Let me explain, I haven't had regular dreams since I was about 10 years old because I have had sleep apnea since then. I've been over 200 pounds for most of my life. My sleep has been black for almost 22 years. I get the occasional dream but usually, my sleep is black.

So, if I got a dream It's always been because God or the Devil or things demonic in nature have put them there. It isn't the first time that I've received a dream from God. I won't get into details but when I first came to Christ I saw the Silhouette of Jesus and I saw the holy spirit in a dream. And my spirit ascended to heaven. Basically, I saw my entire born again experience. I know that it wasn't caused by my mental illness and that it was supernatural in nature. A few days later I got a dream from Satan trying to get me to change my decision to following Christ. He disguised himself as Jesus.

Anyway, It's been really hard and It's really hard dealing with these daily attacks from demons. I don't believe that a chemical imbalance is causing these things to happen. I also don't believe the majority view that those who have mental illnesses are possessed by Satan. No, we who have mental illnesses are not possessed by the devil but we are attacked daily by demons.

So why am I telling everyone all of this? Because, I have a question that would be really useful for my website. There wouldn't be a purpose in making my website if this question isn't answered. My question is, can a Christian have a mental illness and still be saved? Can they have daily delusions similar to mine and still be saved? I know that It's scriptural that once a Christian has salvation they cannot lose that salvation. I know for sure that I am born again, since I saw the whole thing. I know that Jesus said that he would not lose a single person given to him by God the Father in John 6:37-6:40. But scripture also says in 3 of the gospels that if you commit blasphemy of the holy spirit than you have no forgiveness. Thinking that they Holy Spirit could be Satan could be along those lines. So am I lost? Are people who have mental illnesses lost? That's my question. I hope some people can answer me and thank you for reading my long and rambling thread XD.
No, blasphemy of the holy spirit is denying christ unto death. You seem fine. Truth be told I am bi polar as well, I see it as a thorn in the flesh like Paul had, so your in good company. I also know html, if you need any help on the web page let me know, I am willing, just list me as a helper, I'll do it free of charge. I also have had dreams, though of evangalisim, I do my best to fulfill that in street ministry, my job, and the forums here. I have an associate's degree in general studies with a slant on computers and some further education in html. If you need encouragement, I can offer that to just read any of my posts. Do not fear, fear is a thief or robs you of your true nature in christ. You have a friend here with in me, do not let any one look down on you, you are just more broken, but also more complete in christ. Amen.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No, blasphemy of the holy spirit is denying christ unto death. You seem fine. Truth be told I am bi polar as well, I see it as a thorn in the flesh like Paul had, so your in good company. I also know html, if you need any help on the web page let me know, I am willing, just list me as a helper, I'll do it free of charge. I also have had dreams, though of evangalisim, I do my best to fulfill that in street ministry, my job, and the forums here. I have an associate's degree in general studies with a slant on computers and some further education in html. If you need encouragement, I can offer that to just read any of my posts. Do not fear, fear is a thief or robs you of your true nature in christ. You have a friend here with in me, do not let any one look down on you, you are just more broken, but also more complete in christ. Amen.

That would be extremely helpful. Do you mind if I PM you about it? I still need to write the articles and have my wife proof read them as I'm not really all that good at writing. So It'll probably be a few weeks before I could get it up and running. I'd also have to look into what hosting site to use that would be free or cheap. I'd also have to get a domain for relatively cheap. I'll have to do a lot of research before I'm actually able to make the site.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ScumYetServant

Mar 28, 2018
Colorado Springs
✟12,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That would be extremely helpful. Do you mind if I PM you about it? I still need to write the articles and have my wife proof read them as I'm not really all that good at writing. So It'll probably be a few weeks before I could get it up and running. I'd also have to look into what hosting site to use that would be free or cheap. I'd also have to get a domain for relatively cheap. I'll have to do a lot of research before I'm actually able to make the site.
Understood, and yes you can PM me. Just message me and I may be able to help with content too.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes I believe that Christians can have mental illness. I also know that some people say no and it is all demonic. This is such a cruel thing to say to someone who is ill.

People can be very cruel - sometimes unintentionally - but it is not necessarily cruel to consider a demonic role in mental health issues.

I have several close loved ones who struggle with mental illness. Sadly, even within most Christian communities, the pain of experience teaches you to just smile and listen whenever the topic comes up. There is so much misinformation and misunderstanding, but trying to correct it typically leads to being lectured ... in some cases it has even led to people taking action to "protect" the loved one, the result being legal action and a lot of wasted time and money to set things straight.

With respect to demons, I will note there is often a strong reaction against accepting the possibility of demonic activity - even in many Christian communities. They want to explain it away through psychology. Yet I can tell you there are some things counseling and medication will not fix. One of my loved ones had, since a very young child, spoken of being oppressed by someone called "the dark man of the black". Of all the options we tried (which included professional psychological help) the only successful removal of this oppression came through the Word, prayer, and the sacraments.

Though I had always given lip service to the existence of spirits, I have to admit I began as a skeptic in this case, and I was the one advocating medical solutions. But the experience made me a believer in spiritual powers.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm definitely supporisup you on this. I feel this is a stigma that needs to die and die quickly.

1) Christian's can have mental illnesses

2) just because you have a mental illness it doesn't mean youre weak, have no faith or you're possessed .

3) Despite your / our illness... You can still be used by God.

There's nothing wrong with you or anyone else who's a christian that happens to have mental illness. I feel we all have a cross to carry and have to do so with the grace God supplies us daily.

I just really wish Christian's would be more understanding of mental illness instead of always trying to cast it out or demonize the person.Stuff like that makes people who really need to stay on their medication go off them in attempt to " have faith" ect.. so I just think there needs to be more understanding.

Whether you have a mental illness or not. You are a Christian, your experiences are valid and God loves you no matter what state your mind may be in.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm definitely supporisup you on this. I feel this is a stigma that needs to die and die quickly.

2) just because you have a mental illness it doesn't mean youre weak, have no faith or you're possessed .

There's nothing wrong with you or anyone else who's a christian that happens to have mental illness. I feel we all have a cross to carry and have to do so with the grace God supplies us daily.

I just really wish Christian's would be more understanding of mental illness instead of always trying to cast it out or demonize the person.Stuff like that makes people who really need to stay on their medication go off them in attempt to " have faith" ect.. so I just think there needs to be more understanding.

Whether you have a mental illness or not. You are a Christian, your experiences are valid and God loves you no matter what state your mind may be in.
Yes its a stigma for sure. Amen, God loves us all.

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Thank you for your post. Amen that people don't really understand us. Its like we're aliens to the world. I was off my meds for a while because I believed that they were poison. I also thought that I could handle it on my own. I was fine for about 2 years so I had thought God cured me. Until I got my last major episode and I had to be hospitalized. Ive been taking my meds ever since.

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I was really confused on what section to post this thread in so if it's in the wrong section could you please report it so that a moderator could move it to the correct section? Thank you.

So, I was considering writing a website to help Christians who have a mental illness get through their day to day life and to teach those who have a mental illness that it is not hopeless and that they can still accept Jesus.

I have experience with this because back in 2012 I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder with psychosis. Later on my psychiatrist found my "proper" diagnosis and diagnosed me with Schizo-affective disorder since I was showing symptoms of Schizophrenia as well as Bipolar. I've had my symptoms of my mental illness all of my life but I didn't get my first psychotic episode until I was 26 years old. My first episode lasted for almost a month.

I never really reported my delusions or hallucinations to my parents or doctors so they had no clue what was going on. A little over a year later in 2013 (November I believe) I decided to give my life to Christ. It was the best decision I ever made. But, it also was upsetting. Why? Because ever since I started becoming a Christian slowly I've been getting some really dangerous delusions. It's been a daily struggle just to survive with daily delusions of Jesus being Satan, the Holy Spirit being Satan, my wife being demonic, ...etc. Basically if it exists, I think that It's really Satan in disguise or it's demonic in some way, shape, or form. The last full blown psychotic episode I had almost 2 years ago, I had to be hospitalized for. Because it was my worst one ever.

About a month ago I had a really scary dream that Jesus was Satan. I don't believe it was a dream I believe it was an attack from demons/Satan. Why? Well because first of all, I don't really dream. Let me explain, I haven't had regular dreams since I was about 10 years old because I have had sleep apnea since then. I've been over 200 pounds for most of my life. My sleep has been black for almost 22 years. I get the occasional dream but usually, my sleep is black.

So, if I got a dream It's always been because God or the Devil or things demonic in nature have put them there. It isn't the first time that I've received a dream from God. I won't get into details but when I first came to Christ I saw the Silhouette of Jesus and I saw the holy spirit in a dream. And my spirit ascended to heaven. Basically, I saw my entire born again experience. I know that it wasn't caused by my mental illness and that it was supernatural in nature. A few days later I got a dream from Satan trying to get me to change my decision to following Christ. He disguised himself as Jesus.

Anyway, It's been really hard and It's really hard dealing with these daily attacks from demons. I don't believe that a chemical imbalance is causing these things to happen. I also don't believe the majority view that those who have mental illnesses are possessed by Satan. No, we who have mental illnesses are not possessed by the devil but we are attacked daily by demons.

So why am I telling everyone all of this? Because, I have a question that would be really useful for my website. There wouldn't be a purpose in making my website if this question isn't answered. My question is, can a Christian have a mental illness and still be saved? Can they have daily delusions similar to mine and still be saved? I know that It's scriptural that once a Christian has salvation they cannot lose that salvation. I know for sure that I am born again, since I saw the whole thing. I know that Jesus said that he would not lose a single person given to him by God the Father in John 6:37-6:40. But scripture also says in 3 of the gospels that if you commit blasphemy of the holy spirit than you have no forgiveness. Thinking that they Holy Spirit could be Satan could be along those lines. So am I lost? Are people who have mental illnesses lost? That's my question. I hope some people can answer me and thank you for reading my long and rambling thread XD.

No, people who accept Jesus as their savior and are born again who also happen to have some kind of mental illness are most certainly not lost.

Mental illness a lot of the time stems from our brain not functioning properly when it comes to distribution of hormones or even the firing of neurons. There are so many different systems, neurotransmitters, and nerves in our brain that control not just bodily function but mental function as well. Mental illness is just as physical as it is psychological. Some Christians can't seem to accept this fact and wrongly accuse mentally ill Christians of being unsaved or not trusting in God.

You wouldn't tell someone who has a broken leg or a bad back that they are merely possessed or oppressed and aren't trusting God enough would you?

I have anxiety and depression. My anxiety is sometimes triggered by stressful situations. Sometimes it is triggered by absolutely nothing at all and I'm left panicking and wondering why my anxiety is flaring up in the first place. My depression is much the same way. It can be increased by my current circumstances or it can come on when I'm doing well. It has nothing to do with me not being saved and everything to do with my brain not functioning as it should.

But I absolutely believe that having a connection with Christ is very helpful in combating mental illness. It doesn't make the effects of mental illness magically disappear but it can be a comfort when everything seems to spiral out of control.

Upvote 0

ScumYetServant

Mar 28, 2018
Colorado Springs
✟12,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, people who accept Jesus as their savior and are born again who also happen to have some kind of mental illness are most certainly not lost.

Mental illness a lot of the time stems from our brain not functioning properly when it comes to distribution of hormones or even the firing of neurons. There are so many different systems, neurotransmitters, and nerves in our brain that control not just bodily function but mental function as well. Mental illness is just as physical as it is psychological. Some Christians can't seem to accept this fact and wrongly accuse mentally ill Christians of being unsaved or not trusting in God.

You wouldn't tell someone who has a broken leg or a bad back that they are merely possessed or oppressed and aren't trusting God enough would you?

I have anxiety and depression. My anxiety is sometimes triggered by stressful situations. Sometimes it is triggered by absolutely nothing at all and I'm left panicking and wondering why my anxiety is flaring up in the first place. My depression is much the same way. It can be increased by my current circumstances or it can come on when I'm doing well. It has nothing to do with me not being saved and everything to do with my brain not functioning as it should.

But I absolutely believe that having a connection with Christ is very helpful in combating mental illness. It doesn't make the effects of mental illness magically disappear but it can be a comfort when everything seems to spiral out of control.

Well the creator of this thread and I are discussing things in and soon out of this forum to create a much needed page with testimony and good sources and links, and much more to fight for those with mental illness (mi) like we do. Any testimony of dealing with the illness and being a beliver weather under fire or not, please PM them to me. I'll put it in the source code, let me know if u want it anonymous or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0