Mental Illness and Christianity

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Please be careful in how you word things and provide a detailed explanation. Your statement is not complete and can be misinterpreted. (Sigh)

Blasphemy has to do with showing contempt for God, mocking Him or lacking reverence for God. Your dreams or episodes are not blasphemy. Please don't beat yourself up or dwell in fear of committing blasphemy. Anyone who is concerned about it not doing it.

So it would be like those people who post videos on Youtube of them mocking and insulting the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
So the Holy Spirit lead him to be tempted by Satan? Why?
It is the act of sanctification. Hebrews says Christ obedience learned by what He suffered. You see it is all natural and part of the christians walk to grow and learn and become more like Christ. :]

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Please be careful in how you word things and provide a detailed explanation. Your statement is not complete and can be misinterpreted. (Sigh)

Blasphemy has to do with showing contempt for God, mocking Him or lacking reverence for God. Your dreams or episodes are not blasphemy. Please don't beat yourself up or dwell in fear of committing blasphemy. Anyone who is concerned about it not is doing it.
I know exactly what I am doing and saying friend. I have been messaging with this man for awhile now and I know who I am talking too here. Thank You :]

Reactions: Hearingheart
Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So it would be like those people who post videos on Youtube of them mocking and insulting the Holy Spirit?
I cannot say.... God judges the heart. I believe there are those who have utter contempt for Him as well as any work attributed to God are in a perilous position.
That being said, I cannot say if someone who acts like they mock God would turns around and realizes their error that God would reject them. You are a child of God and have been saved, recognizing Jesus. Pray for others and love those you come in contact with.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
No, It is a complete refusal of the Triune God as your personal Lord and Saviour. At your physical death you will be judged by what you believed and or placed your faith in. To neglect the HS is to refuse Him completely and you have not done that. Does this make sense?

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I know exactly what I am doing and saying friend. I have been messaging with this man for awhile now and I know who I am talking too here. Thank You :]
Don't mean to step on your toes, I just know that others will read this thread and may be confused or start to have fear and doubt. Thank you for your ministry to this dear brother.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Don't mean to step on your toes, I just know that others will read this thread and may be confused or start to have fear and doubt. Thank you for your ministry to this dear brother.
Amen, No problem and I should have explained that clearer :] Thank You and Bless You :]

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No, It is a complete refusal of the Triune God as your personal Lord and Saviour. At your physical death you will be judged by what you believed and or placed your faith in. To neglect the HS is to refuse Him completely and you have not done that. Does this make sense?

When I first came to Christ and when he first gave me the Holy Spirit I didn't believe in the Triune God. If you asked me 2 years ago if the trinity was a correct doctrine I would have said no. I believed along the lines that muslims believed. That Jesus never claimed divinity. I mean, I believed that he was the messiah (as do muslims), I believed in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus (which is the gospel that saves and what muslims reject). I In fact if you look in my post history from 2 years ago, They're mostly all about the rejection of Jesus as God and rejection of the trinity.

Of course, I believe in the trinity NOW. I believe that Jesus is God NOW. The holy spirit has lead me to believe all of the correct doctrines that people say save a person. But, I still considered myself saved back when I didn't. Maybe because God knew that I would believe all of the correct doctrines and that's why he gave me the holy spirit? I don't know. I'll have to ask God when I die or when he comes again. All I know is, I was just as saved back then as I am now.

Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
When I first came to Christ and when he first gave me the Holy Spirit I didn't believe in the Triune God. If you asked me 2 years ago if the trinity was a correct doctrine I would have said no. I believed along the lines that muslims believed. That Jesus never claimed divinity. I mean, I believed that he was the messiah (as do muslims), I believed in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus (which is the gospel that saves and what muslims reject). I In fact if you look in my post history from 2 years ago, They're mostly all about the rejection of Jesus as God and rejection of the trinity.

Of course, I believe in the trinity NOW. I believe that Jesus is God NOW. The holy spirit has lead me to believe all of the correct doctrines that people say save a person. But, I still considered myself saved back when I didn't. Maybe because God knew that I would believe all of the correct doctrines and that's why he gave me the holy spirit? I don't know. I'll have to ask God when I die or when he comes again. All I know is, I was just as saved back then as I am now.
It is wonderful to have that peace and blessed hope :] Bless you my Brother

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was really confused on what section to post this thread in so if it's in the wrong section could you please report it so that a moderator could move it to the correct section? Thank you.

So, I was considering writing a website to help Christians who have a mental illness get through their day to day life and to teach those who have a mental illness that it is not hopeless and that they can still accept Jesus.

I have experience with this because back in 2012 I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder with psychosis. Later on my psychiatrist found my "proper" diagnosis and diagnosed me with Schizo-affective disorder since I was showing symptoms of Schizophrenia as well as Bipolar. I've had my symptoms of my mental illness all of my life but I didn't get my first psychotic episode until I was 26 years old. My first episode lasted for almost a month.

I never really reported my delusions or hallucinations to my parents or doctors so they had no clue what was going on. A little over a year later in 2013 (November I believe) I decided to give my life to Christ. It was the best decision I ever made. But, it also was upsetting. Why? Because ever since I started becoming a Christian slowly I've been getting some really dangerous delusions. It's been a daily struggle just to survive with daily delusions of Jesus being Satan, the Holy Spirit being Satan, my wife being demonic, ...etc. Basically if it exists, I think that It's really Satan in disguise or it's demonic in some way, shape, or form. The last full blown psychotic episode I had almost 2 years ago, I had to be hospitalized for. Because it was my worst one ever.

About a month ago I had a really scary dream that Jesus was Satan. I don't believe it was a dream I believe it was an attack from demons/Satan. Why? Well because first of all, I don't really dream. Let me explain, I haven't had regular dreams since I was about 10 years old because I have had sleep apnea since then. I've been over 200 pounds for most of my life. My sleep has been black for almost 22 years. I get the occasional dream but usually, my sleep is black.

So, if I got a dream It's always been because God or the Devil or things demonic in nature have put them there. It isn't the first time that I've received a dream from God. I won't get into details but when I first came to Christ I saw the Silhouette of Jesus and I saw the holy spirit in a dream. And my spirit ascended to heaven. Basically, I saw my entire born again experience. I know that it wasn't caused by my mental illness and that it was supernatural in nature. A few days later I got a dream from Satan trying to get me to change my decision to following Christ. He disguised himself as Jesus.

Anyway, It's been really hard and It's really hard dealing with these daily attacks from demons. I don't believe that a chemical imbalance is causing these things to happen. I also don't believe the majority view that those who have mental illnesses are possessed by Satan. No, we who have mental illnesses are not possessed by the devil but we are attacked daily by demons.

So why am I telling everyone all of this? Because, I have a question that would be really useful for my website. There wouldn't be a purpose in making my website if this question isn't answered. My question is, can a Christian have a mental illness and still be saved? Can they have daily delusions similar to mine and still be saved? I know that It's scriptural that once a Christian has salvation they cannot lose that salvation. I know for sure that I am born again, since I saw the whole thing. I know that Jesus said that he would not lose a single person given to him by God the Father in John 6:37-6:40. But scripture also says in 3 of the gospels that if you commit blasphemy of the holy spirit than you have no forgiveness. Thinking that they Holy Spirit could be Satan could be along those lines. So am I lost? Are people who have mental illnesses lost? That's my question. I hope some people can answer me and thank you for reading my long and rambling thread XD.

I’d suggest doing what you can to separate out the treatment of the symptoms you have from your growth as a Christian. What I mean is, there is no definitive answer as to what causes schizo-affective type symptoms, but whatever the cause, the affect is on the brain, not the ‘spirit’, however you conceptualise that. For that reason I’d suggest doing some careful research of your own (I say careful as there is a lot of misleading info out there) with input from whatever healthcare professional(s) are supporting you, to understand your treatment options and over time see what works best for you.
Becoming a Christian is a huge life change, and living as a Christian involves periods of change in thinking etc - like any change it stirs up a lot of mental activity and emotion, which might be why you are experiencing more intense expressions of symptoms, and dreams. Over a number of years I think you’ll find that may balance out though, I worked in MH services for years and in my experience people can learn to live with their symptoms by recognising them for what they are, essentially errors in brain functioning, and putting them, as far as possible, to one side, as it were, and focusing as much as possible on the things that are important to them.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I cannot say.... God judges the heart. I believe there are those who have utter contempt for Him as well as any work attributed to God are in a perilous position.
That being said, I cannot say if someone who acts like they mock God would turns around and realizes their error that God would reject them. You are a child of God and have been saved, recognizing Jesus. Pray for others and love those you come in contact with.

Right it doesn't make sense that God, who desires all people to be saved would reject people if they came to him and repented. I mean, Jesus did say that they have no forgiveness but... I'd like to hope that they aren't left without hope.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I’d suggest doing what you can to separate out the treatment of the symptoms you have from your growth as a Christian. What I mean is, there is no definitive answer as to what causes schizo-affective type symptoms, but whatever the cause, the affect is on the brain, not the ‘spirit’, however you conceptualise that. For that reason I’d suggest doing some careful research of your own (I say careful as there is a lot of misleading info out there) with input from whatever healthcare professional(s) are supporting you, to understand your treatment options and over time see what works best for you.
Becoming a Christian is a huge life change, and living as a Christian involves periods of change in thinking etc - like any change it stirs up a lot of mental activity and emotion, which might be why you are experiencing more intense expressions of symptoms, and dreams. Over a number of years I think you’ll find that may balance out though, I worked in MH services for years and in my experience people can learn to live with their symptoms by recognising them for what they are, essentially errors in brain functioning, and putting them, as far as possible, to one side, as it were, and focusing as much as possible on the things that are important to them.

Right. I know that my delusions are not me. I don't really believe that Jesus is Satan or that any part of the Godhead is Satan is disguise. God can see inside of my heart and he knows that I don't really believe any of these things in my heart. My mental illness is just causing me to believe them. If that makes any sense. If it doesn't I apologize. Whether or not I'm being attacked by demons I don't know. But, I cannot see God punishing me for being attacked by demons. Demons know that I am special. That I am chosen by God and they're trying to do everything they can to get me to lose that salvation. But, God has declared that you CANNOT lose your salvation. So it doesn't matter what they do, they cannot get me.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right. I know that my delusions are not me. I don't really believe that Jesus is Satan or that any part of the Godhead is Satan is disguise. God can see inside of my heart and he knows that I don't really believe any of these things in my heart. My mental illness is just causing me to believe them. If that makes any sense. If it doesn't I apologize. Whether or not I'm being attacked by demons I don't know. But, I cannot see God punishing me for being attacked by demons. Demons know that I am special. That I am chosen by God and they're trying to do everything they can to get me to lose that salvation. But, God has declared that you CANNOT lose your salvation. So it doesn't matter what they do, they cannot get me.

Amen brother, sounds to me like you are finding your way with God.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Amen brother, sounds to me like you are finding your way with God.

I am. Coming to Christ was the best decision I ever made. I really am looking forward to either dying or having the Lord return in my lifetime. So that I can finally be with Jesus and God for an eternity. It doesn't matter what the next life holds or if anything that I'm used to having in this life will be there in the next. It doesn't matter because I'll be with God and that is something that gives me comfort and should give comfort to everyone here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GUANO

Jul 3, 2013
Los Angeles
✟32,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So why am I telling everyone all of this? Because, I have a question that would be really useful for my website. There wouldn't be a purpose in making my website if this question isn't answered. My question is, can a Christian have a mental illness and still be saved? Can they have daily delusions similar to mine and still be saved? I know that It's scriptural that once a Christian has salvation they cannot lose that salvation. I know for sure that I am born again, since I saw the whole thing. I know that Jesus said that he would not lose a single person given to him by God the Father in John 6:37-6:40. But scripture also says in 3 of the gospels that if you commit blasphemy of the holy spirit than you have no forgiveness. Thinking that they Holy Spirit could be Satan could be along those lines. So am I lost? Are people who have mental illnesses lost? That's my question. I hope some people can answer me and thank you for reading my long and rambling thread XD.

Everyone on this planet is under some delusion or another and christians are no different. Take heart.

I would venture to say that Christians and other religious folks are more 'prone' to these types of mental illnesses as well---for various reasons.

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Cheylynn

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Vancouver Island
✟112,033.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was really confused on what section to post this thread in so if it's in the wrong section could you please report it so that a moderator could move it to the correct section? Thank you.

So, I was considering writing a website to help Christians who have a mental illness get through their day to day life and to teach those who have a mental illness that it is not hopeless and that they can still accept Jesus.

I have experience with this because back in 2012 I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder with psychosis. Later on my psychiatrist found my "proper" diagnosis and diagnosed me with Schizo-affective disorder since I was showing symptoms of Schizophrenia as well as Bipolar. I've had my symptoms of my mental illness all of my life but I didn't get my first psychotic episode until I was 26 years old. My first episode lasted for almost a month.

I never really reported my delusions or hallucinations to my parents or doctors so they had no clue what was going on. A little over a year later in 2013 (November I believe) I decided to give my life to Christ. It was the best decision I ever made. But, it also was upsetting. Why? Because ever since I started becoming a Christian slowly I've been getting some really dangerous delusions. It's been a daily struggle just to survive with daily delusions of Jesus being Satan, the Holy Spirit being Satan, my wife being demonic, ...etc. Basically if it exists, I think that It's really Satan in disguise or it's demonic in some way, shape, or form. The last full blown psychotic episode I had almost 2 years ago, I had to be hospitalized for. Because it was my worst one ever.

About a month ago I had a really scary dream that Jesus was Satan. I don't believe it was a dream I believe it was an attack from demons/Satan. Why? Well because first of all, I don't really dream. Let me explain, I haven't had regular dreams since I was about 10 years old because I have had sleep apnea since then. I've been over 200 pounds for most of my life. My sleep has been black for almost 22 years. I get the occasional dream but usually, my sleep is black.

So, if I got a dream It's always been because God or the Devil or things demonic in nature have put them there. It isn't the first time that I've received a dream from God. I won't get into details but when I first came to Christ I saw the Silhouette of Jesus and I saw the holy spirit in a dream. And my spirit ascended to heaven. Basically, I saw my entire born again experience. I know that it wasn't caused by my mental illness and that it was supernatural in nature. A few days later I got a dream from Satan trying to get me to change my decision to following Christ. He disguised himself as Jesus.

Anyway, It's been really hard and It's really hard dealing with these daily attacks from demons. I don't believe that a chemical imbalance is causing these things to happen. I also don't believe the majority view that those who have mental illnesses are possessed by Satan. No, we who have mental illnesses are not possessed by the devil but we are attacked daily by demons.

I think it is very important to remember that those who enter the kingdom of God is through faith in believing in Christ. Pre Christ you were steeped in seeing, dreaming and psychosis etc. As a new creation, I would encourage you to not give heed to these seducing spirits....even if they look to be of God. "...bringing down every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.." 2 Cor 10:5
But instead to live according to your new creation life. When these episodes come, collect them and do not think about them (to give them power), and Give them to Christ. Say this, " I will not receive this into my spirit, I reject it, I give it to you Jesus and choose to receive you and the new life you give me".
Referring to your question I would say that instead of including your mental illness as a new creation, you would begin walking towards freedom that Christ provides....by submitting to Him (not the illness) and resisting the Devil (by not taking in all that is thrown at you) ....and he will flee. James 4:7 ....it's not all immediate- it's a walk. The devil will put up a fight...never forget that Christ in you is greater....always.
Begin to lift Praise to God. Think of it as a disinfectant spray to evil. Do it as often as you can. Out loud, in your mind too. When you read scripture, think of it as washing your mind, because that is what it does.
Suit up dear son Epes.6:10-18, you are in a battle, and you have already been given Victory, just begin walking in it.

Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

Cheylynn

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Vancouver Island
✟112,033.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is very important to remember that those who enter the kingdom of God is through faith in believing in Christ. Pre Christ you were steeped in seeing, dreaming and psychosis etc. As a new creation, I would encourage you to not give heed to these seducing spirits....even if they look to be of God. "...bringing down every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.." 2 Cor 10:5
But instead to live according to your new creation life. When these episodes come, collect them and do not think about them (to give them power), and Give them to Christ. Say this, " I will not receive this into my spirit, I reject it, I give it to you Jesus and choose to receive you and the new life you give me".
Referring to your question I would say that instead of including your mental illness as a new creation, you would begin walking towards freedom that Christ provides....by submitting to Him (not the illness) and resisting the Devil (by not taking in all that is thrown at you) ....and he will flee. James 4:7 ....it's not all immediate- it's a walk. The devil will put up a fight...never forget that Christ in you is greater....always.
Begin to lift Praise to God. Think of it as a disinfectant spray to evil. Do it as often as you can. Out loud, in your mind too. When you read scripture, think of it as washing your mind, because that is what it does.
Suit up dear son Epes.6:10-18, you are in a battle, and you have already been given Victory, just begin walking in it.
In addition to what I have said already,
equally important is to be ever careful to walk rightly before God. I do not say perfect. I say, that as a believer in Christ and one of His followers, you must not continue to walk as an unbeliever. If you continue in sin, you are like a magnet to the satanic. If you are not feeling conviction from the Holy Spirit in your life, than I would ask God to convict you of what is offensive to Him in your actions. As a believer in Christ, you must repent of the 'old man' which means serving the flesh. Ask God to bring awareness of areas that are 'footholds' for these things to have power in your life. Be ready - because He will show you. When He shows you, it is up to you to cut them out of your life - an act of your own will. As you do, He will give you His grace to attain to what He calls you.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would venture to say that Christians and other religious folks are more 'prone' to these types of mental illnesses as well---for various reasons.

I’m curious, what are you basing that on? In 15+ years of working in, managing and setting up mental health crisis services, and around 5 years of relevant study, I only met a small number - less than 50 - out of thousands of people I or one of the teams I managed worked with who were religious in some way.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My question is, can a Christian have a mental illness and still be saved? Can they have daily delusions similar to mine and still be saved?

Yes. But the life God calls us into in Christ is an "abundant life" (Jn. 10:10), a life characterized by peace, joy, love, holiness, etc. (Ga. 5:22, 23). Scripture tells us that the one in whom the Holy Spirit of God dwells has not been given a spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and a sound mind. (2 Ti. 1:7) Over and over again the apostle Paul writes that peace and grace are found in a relationship with God. (Ro. 1:7; 1 Cor. 1:3; Ga. 1:3; Eph. 1:2, etc.) What, then, of a life characterized by delusion, and fear, and psychological turmoil? How is such a life to be reconciled to the peaceful, stable, grace-filled life of the Christian believer described in Scripture?

I know that It's scriptural that once a Christian has salvation they cannot lose that salvation.

Yes. This is what Scripture clearly teaches.

I know for sure that I am born again, since I saw the whole thing.

And what if you hadn't? Would your second, spiritual birth be any less true? No. Be very careful, then, not to make your experience the basis of your confidence in your salvation. You are saved because God says He will save you in His word, not because you have had an experience that seems to validate God's promise of salvation. Your faith must not be in your experience but in what God has said.

But scripture also says in 3 of the gospels that if you commit blasphemy of the holy spirit than you have no forgiveness. Thinking that they Holy Spirit could be Satan could be along those lines.

What is at the very bottom of the Pharisees accusation that Christ cast out demons by the power of the devil? Why would they say such a thing in the first place? Were they speaking out of obsessive-compulsiveness, out of the addled thinking of a hyper-anxious mind? No. They had rejected Christ as the Messiah and sought to encourage others to do the same. And so they proclaimed Christ's power, the power of the Spirit of God, demonic. Doing so, though, was merely the result, a symptom, of their wicked heart's rejection of Christ. At the core of what they said was incorrigible, adamantine unbelief and rebellion and it was these things that made them unforgivable, not saying, "The Holy Spirit is the devil."

Upvote 0