Mental Illness and Christianity

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I was really confused on what section to post this thread in so if it's in the wrong section could you please report it so that a moderator could move it to the correct section? Thank you.

So, I was considering writing a website to help Christians who have a mental illness get through their day to day life and to teach those who have a mental illness that it is not hopeless and that they can still accept Jesus.

I have experience with this because back in 2012 I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder with psychosis. Later on my psychiatrist found my "proper" diagnosis and diagnosed me with Schizo-affective disorder since I was showing symptoms of Schizophrenia as well as Bipolar. I've had my symptoms of my mental illness all of my life but I didn't get my first psychotic episode until I was 26 years old. My first episode lasted for almost a month.

I never really reported my delusions or hallucinations to my parents or doctors so they had no clue what was going on. A little over a year later in 2013 (November I believe) I decided to give my life to Christ. It was the best decision I ever made. But, it also was upsetting. Why? Because ever since I started becoming a Christian slowly I've been getting some really dangerous delusions. It's been a daily struggle just to survive with daily delusions of Jesus being Satan, the Holy Spirit being Satan, my wife being demonic, ...etc. Basically if it exists, I think that It's really Satan in disguise or it's demonic in some way, shape, or form. The last full blown psychotic episode I had almost 2 years ago, I had to be hospitalized for. Because it was my worst one ever.

About a month ago I had a really scary dream that Jesus was Satan. I don't believe it was a dream I believe it was an attack from demons/Satan. Why? Well because first of all, I don't really dream. Let me explain, I haven't had regular dreams since I was about 10 years old because I have had sleep apnea since then. I've been over 200 pounds for most of my life. My sleep has been black for almost 22 years. I get the occasional dream but usually, my sleep is black.

So, if I got a dream It's always been because God or the Devil or things demonic in nature have put them there. It isn't the first time that I've received a dream from God. I won't get into details but when I first came to Christ I saw the Silhouette of Jesus and I saw the holy spirit in a dream. And my spirit ascended to heaven. Basically, I saw my entire born again experience. I know that it wasn't caused by my mental illness and that it was supernatural in nature. A few days later I got a dream from Satan trying to get me to change my decision to following Christ. He disguised himself as Jesus.

Anyway, It's been really hard and It's really hard dealing with these daily attacks from demons. I don't believe that a chemical imbalance is causing these things to happen. I also don't believe the majority view that those who have mental illnesses are possessed by Satan. No, we who have mental illnesses are not possessed by the devil but we are attacked daily by demons.

So why am I telling everyone all of this? Because, I have a question that would be really useful for my website. There wouldn't be a purpose in making my website if this question isn't answered. My question is, can a Christian have a mental illness and still be saved? Can they have daily delusions similar to mine and still be saved? I know that It's scriptural that once a Christian has salvation they cannot lose that salvation. I know for sure that I am born again, since I saw the whole thing. I know that Jesus said that he would not lose a single person given to him by God the Father in John 6:37-6:40. But scripture also says in 3 of the gospels that if you commit blasphemy of the holy spirit than you have no forgiveness. Thinking that they Holy Spirit could be Satan could be along those lines. So am I lost? Are people who have mental illnesses lost? That's my question. I hope some people can answer me and thank you for reading my long and rambling thread XD.

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I believe that Christians can have mental illness. I also know that some people say no and it is all demonic. This is such a cruel thing to say to someone who is ill
My recommendation to you before you think of doing anything is to make sure you have a good doctor.
Like all that we suffer it goes back to the fall and Satan can use things to weaken us, never forget
"Greater is he who is in us than he who is in the world" John 4:4b

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Absolute they can have mental illness and be saved. I think a lot of this is "oppression" [Not possession]
The demons want to make you miserable and they attack you in areas that one may be lacking. That is why I always say read Eph 6:10-18 and learn what what it means.
Christians can choose to live as they wish here [freewill] but it will cost them in this life and the next one Here in this life it will be misery and also the blocking of your blessings, by having a barrier of sin that keeps you distanced from an all Holy God and the blessings He wants to give you.
Later it will cost you in rewards.
We all have a tendency to gripe and complain and say "woe" is me, when it is own fault by not staying rooted in the Word and keeping on our spiritual armor. In many cases it is our very own fault that we are suffering such as we do, Simply because we allow satan to deceive us. We sit there and accept every false hood that he throws at us without considering the fact that we are weak, and haven't fed on the Word on the Word of God and we have then exposed a vulnerable place for the enemy to get a fiery dart in. Remember he is like lion prowling around, looking for the weak ones to pounce on.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God knows what decisions you made your heart. When you find yourself in states where you feel uncertain or you are feeling disoriented, ignore what you perceive, and focus on the words of Jesus written in the Bible, in the 4 gospels. Look at the actual words. It is a tangible thing that you can confirm. Note whichever passages bring you peace and go to them as needed.

God is our father. He gets who we are.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the replies so far. I know that a person can have a mental illness and still come to Christ. Anyone can come to Christ, salvation is open to everyone both rich and poor both mentally ill and fully sane. But I know that it is a common fear among Christians to do a sin that they cannot be forgiven for. To sin too much. Obviously, Christians cannot live in sin or else they are not truly converted but... I just don't understand what the unforgivable sin even is. I guess that's my question and maybe I should have labeled this thread. What is the unforgivable sin to you? Or something along those lines.

I've heard that the only unforgivable sin is rejecting Christ and all other sins can be forgiven. But if that is the case why did Jesus call the unforgivable sin blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? I mean, Jesus did say not ONE believer would be lost. Which makes the only unforgivable sin is rejecting Christ believable but why didn't Jesus just say that? Why didn't he just say "If you reject me and die in rejection you cannot be forgiven." instead of "If you blaspheme the holy ghost you have no forgiveness." I mean, It's inspired people to make youtube videos in which, they blaspheme the Holy Spirit because they don't want to be forgiven. And, maybe they can't. I don't know. Maybe if you've already been born again your place in heaven is secure but if you're not, it's not. I just don't understand but I'm not supposed to understand all of Christianity. The only thing I do understand is scripture is the word of God and not only does the word of God say in point blank "You cannot lose your salvation" But, Jesus also said "Not a single believer will be lost". That is the truth. I may not understand HOW not a single believer is lost, but it is a truth of scripture as, Jesus cannot lie. No matter how much my deluded brain wants me to call him Satan, he's not.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No, you are not lost. I pray for your continued healing as you draw closer to Jesus.

On the practical side (because I tend to be very practical) make sure you are physically taking care of yourself. My son is bi-polar and he has to work at taking care of himself and recognizing how he functions (without feeling guilty) in this world.

I don't know if any of this applies to you, I can only relate what I know from my son's experience. Please carefully watch what you eat, be aware of food allergies, eat organically grown as much as possible, get regular physical exercise/activity, if you need down time or private time away from crowds that's ok, ask for help immediately if you are sensing an episode coming on, put together a list of people willing to form a prayer chain for you when needed. Prayers and hugs to you.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No, you are not lost. I pray for your continued healing as you draw closer to Jesus.

On the practical side (because I tend to be very practical) make sure you are physically taking care of yourself. My son is bi-polar and he has to work at taking care of himself and recognizing how he functions (without feeling guilty) in this world.

I don't know if any of this applies to you, I can only relate what I know from my son's experience. Please carefully watch what you eat, be aware of food allergies, eat organically grown as much as possible, get regular physical exercise/activity, if you need down time or private time away from crowds that's ok, ask for help immediately if you are sensing an episode coming on, put together a list of people willing to form a prayer chain for you when needed. Prayers and hugs to you.

Thanks for your reply. On that note, my psychiatrist just prescribed me with a new medication that she wants me to try called Vraylar. She thinks that my delusions shouldn't be happening and that they could be cured with medicine. So she's trying me on new meds until something works. I will try taking care of myself too. I've lately, been trying to lose weight. Spring is almost here where I live so I'll be walking a lot soon. I'm actually looking forward to walking everyday. The last time I did it I lost like 50 pounds so... there's that. Thank you for your prayers and the next time I sense an episode coming on, I'll post a prayer request so people can pray for me to get through it.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Blasphemy is neglecting the Holy Spirit. Putting off God.

I'm confused by this. Do you mean that if a person doesn't follow the leadings of the Holy Spirit they're lost forever? Because Jesus said that blasphemy against the holy spirit is a sin that cannot be forgiven. So, it cannot be that.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
anks for your reply. On that note, my psychiatrist just prescribed me with a new medication that she wants me to try called Vraylar. She thinks that my delusions shouldn't be happening and that they could be cured with medicine. So she's trying me on new meds until something works. I will try taking care of myself too. I've lately, been trying to lose weight. Spring is almost here where I live so I'll be walking a lot soon. I'm actually looking forward to walking everyday. The last time I did it I lost like 50 pounds so... there's that. Thank you for your prayers and the next time I sense an episode coming on, I'll post a prayer request so people can pray for me to get through it.
I have messaged you quite a bit and I think you are a great, Loving and caring guy. I am happy to call you a Brother in Christ. I to need to lose weight.
let's start going over to the weight loss thread and start it together. Want too? We can be accountability partners for one another and help each other out. :]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My mental illness has brought me closer to the Lord. Sure it has been hard but it has blessed me as well. My strength comes from the Lord. It sounds weird to admit i have mental illness, but i dont mind because i want to share the hope that i have found.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have messaged you quite a bit and I think you are a great, Loving and caring guy. I am happy to call you a Brother in Christ. I to need to lose weight.
let's start going over to the weight loss thread and start it together. Want too? We can be accountability partners for one another and help each other out. :]

Sure! I would be interested in losing weight together. I wasn't aware there was a weight loss thread can you link me to it please?

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm confused by this. Do you mean that if a person doesn't follow the leadings of the Holy Spirit they're lost forever? Because Jesus said that blasphemy against the holy spirit is a sin that cannot be forgiven. So, it cannot be that.
If you refuse God and his grace then you Blasphemy it is that simple. If you refuse the draw from the Holy Spirit then you are given to a reprobate heart.
The act of sanctification is the growing through trials and tribulations. All Christians go through these. Who led Jesus to temptation in the wilderness?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My mental illness has brought me closer to the Lord. Sure it has been hard but it has blessed me as well. My strength comes from the Lord. It sounds weird to admit i have mental illness, but i dont mind because i want to share the hope that i have found.

I feel like my mental illness has brought me closer to the Lord too. I had already had my very first psychotic episode by the time I came to Christ. I feel like, it kind of brought me to Christ. Because I was so lost and confused during my first episode, I didn't really understand what was going on. I don't really remember what motivated me to come to Christ but I know that my mental illness was part of it because within a year of knowing I had a mental illness, I decided to accept Christ.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I feel like my mental illness has brought me closer to the Lord too. I had already had my very first psychotic episode by the time I came to Christ. I feel like, it kind of brought me to Christ. Because I was so lost and confused during my first episode, I didn't really understand what was going on. I don't really remember what motivated me to come to Christ but I know that my mental illness was part of it because within a year of knowing I had a mental illness, I decided to accept Christ.
Amen. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If you refuse God and his grace then you Blasphemy it is that simple. If you refuse the draw from the Holy Spirit then you are given to a reprobate heart.
The act of sanctification is the growing through trials and tribulations. All Christians go through these. Who led Jesus to temptation in the wilderness?

Satan tried to tempt Jesus. I think I understand what you are saying and obviously, if you die rejecting God than you cannot be forgiven. So I guess it just boils down to, rejecting Jesus is the only sin that you can commit that you cannot be forgiven for.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Satan tried to tempt Jesus. I think I understand what you are saying and obviously, if you die rejecting God than you cannot be forgiven. So I guess it just boils down to, rejecting Jesus is the only sin that you can commit that you cannot be forgiven for.
It wasn't satan that led Jesus into temptation. Look at Matt 4:1 :]

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Blasphemy is neglecting the Holy Spirit. Putting off God.

Please be careful in how you word things and provide a detailed explanation. Your statement is not complete and can be misinterpreted. (Sigh)

Blasphemy has to do with showing contempt for God, mocking Him or lacking reverence for God. Your dreams or episodes are not blasphemy. Please don't beat yourself up or dwell in fear of committing blasphemy. Anyone who is concerned about it not is doing it.

Upvote 0