Teh Intarweb
✟8,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I met a guy who thought he was Jesus. He genuinely believed that he was the Son of God returned to the Earth, and he went out into the streets to teach his new gospel. He was, in reality, babbling complete nonsense at strangers and he was quickly arrested. He thought the cops were taking him to be crucified, and he started praying and quoting scriptures and telling the police that he forgave them.

He was diagnosed with schizophrenia and the medications helped him a lot. He then had to live with the horrific realization that he was not anything special, just a man.

This seems like a cruel trick for God to play on someone. I can wrap my head around, say, cancer, as something God allows to be inflicted on a man. Mental illness is harder to digest.

Christianity is all about belief and action. If a disease can cause your personality to change or cause you to believe in a delusion that is blasphemous and self-destructive, how is that fair? Why would God create a world where we're judged according to our thoughts, words and actions, then allow people to contract mental illnesses, brain tumors or traumatic brain injuries that drive them to immoral, humiliating or even destructive actions?

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why would God create a world where we're judged according to our thoughts, words and actions, then allow people to contract mental illnesses, brain tumors or traumatic brain injuries that drive them to immoral, humiliating or even destructive actions?

The standards of this world will NOT treat real Christians kindly, mentally ill or not. Luke 6:22, John 15:19, John 7:7

This world exists to test us - Parable of the Faithful Servant.

This world is currently ruled by evil - 1 John 5:19

Upvote 0

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I met a guy who thought he was Jesus. He genuinely believed that he was the Son of God returned to the Earth, and he went out into the streets to teach his new gospel. He was, in reality, babbling complete nonsense at strangers and he was quickly arrested. He thought the cops were taking him to be crucified, and he started praying and quoting scriptures and telling the police that he forgave them.

He was diagnosed with schizophrenia and the medications helped him a lot. He then had to live with the horrific realization that he was not anything special, just a man.

This seems like a cruel trick for God to play on someone. I can wrap my head around, say, cancer, as something God allows to be inflicted on a man. Mental illness is harder to digest.

Christianity is all about belief and action. If a disease can cause your personality to change or cause you to believe in a delusion that is blasphemous and self-destructive, how is that fair? Why would God create a world where we're judged according to our thoughts, words and actions, then allow people to contract mental illnesses, brain tumors or traumatic brain injuries that drive them to immoral, humiliating or even destructive actions?
Just remember that mental illness is another illness. Think about it this way, would God condemn somebody if they got a cold, no way. It's the same with mental illness I believe because God knows our hearts and God is love so I don't believe He would condemn somebody for having mental illness. I am a christian and I have scrupulosity which is really hard to deal with and I take medication for it and because of that and the grace of God I am getting better. Also, since the fall of Adam and Eve we all have to deal with the effects of a fallen world. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just remember that mental illness is another illness. Think about it this way, would God condemn somebody if they got a cold, no way. It's the same with mental illness I believe because God knows our hearts and God is love so I don't believe He would condemn somebody for having mental illness. I am a christian and I have scrupulosity which is really hard to deal with and I take medication for it and because of that and the grace of God I am getting better. Also, since the fall of Adam and Eve we all have to deal with the effects of a fallen world. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

"As in the days of Noah", when man had corrupted just about everything including himself. We're gettin' there. :eek:

Upvote 0

AgonyApathy

Oct 13, 2019
Teh Intarweb
✟8,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I am a christian and I have scrupulosity which is really hard to deal with and I take medication for it

Thanks for sharing this. You have a mental illness that is religious in nature, but you still have a good relationship with God.

I've also struggled with some mental illnesses, depression and schizophrenia. I used to think God was helping me overcome the depression, but my schizo symptoms wrecked my life and everything I was trying to do to combat the depression. Now the depression is back.

I feel like, if there is a God, he plays rope-a-dope with me. Just when I think I'm going to win, he's like Lucy yanking the football away from Charley Brown. I'm trying not to hate God, and to keep an open mind instead of going to full on Atheism, but I just don't see the hand of a loving God in my life or the lives of others.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

AgonyApathy

Oct 13, 2019
Teh Intarweb
✟8,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for posting, but I feel like these are memes.

"As in the days of Noah", when man had corrupted just about everything including himself. We're gettin' there. :eek:

What does this have to do with this situation? The man in the example was suffering from a mental illness.

The standards of this world will NOT treat real Christians kindly, mentally ill or not. Luke 6:22, John 15:19, John 7:7

This world exists to test us - Parable of the Faithful Servant.

This world is currently ruled by evil - 1 John 5:19

Aside from the world being ruled by evil, I have a hard time seeing how these quotes are relevant :)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What does this have to do with this situation? The man in the example was suffering from a mental illness.

Today's problems are the result of thousands of years of degeneration. The end time will be "as the days of Noah", totally corrupt, including mental health. :confused:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Mental illness is just one of many maladies we have brought on ourselves. You can prove this to yourself by studying human health both from science and the bible. Then put what you've learned into practice in your own life. I think you'll be amazed at how good health affects your thinking and attitudes, and you'll realize that you've been walking around in a daze most of your life. It's called "autointoxication" and is the result of our common lifestyle of overindulging, overwork, lack of sleep and rest. God gives us the Sabbath rest to reset our lives, among other great health tips. Try resting for a full day once a week. You'll be amazed at how it affects your thinking (mental state).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Aside from the world being ruled by evil, I have a hard time seeing how these quotes are relevant :)

I realized you are Agnostic before I even made that post.

The quotes are not meant for you to believe but rather to help you understand why I think the way I do.:)

Your understanding of "mental illness" is defined by a standard and what we see as normal could be abnormality in other cultures.

Upvote 0

AgonyApathy

Oct 13, 2019
Teh Intarweb
✟8,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Today's problems are the result of thousands of years of degeneration. The end time will be "as the days of Noah", totally corrupt, including mental health. :confused:

How do you know that Jesus wasn't suffering from schizophrenic delusions that he was able to make others believe in? His followers could have exaggerated his miracles, or miracles could have been added to the story in between his death and the writing of the gospels.

Sadly, it seems like miracles stop when literacy and science become a major driving factor in culture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AgonyApathy

Oct 13, 2019
Teh Intarweb
✟8,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Your understanding of "mental illness" is defined by a standard and what we see as normal could be abnormality in other cultures.

I define mental illness as life destroying delusions and inability to think clearly and make rational decisions. I've seen it close up and experienced it firsthand.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How do you know that Jesus wasn't suffering from schizophrenic delusions that he was able to make others believe in? His followers could have exaggerated his miracles, or miracles could have been added to the story in between his death and the writing of the gospels.

Sadly, it seems like miracles stop when literacy and science become a major driving factor in culture.

Our literacy and utilization of true science is appalling.

Upvote 0

AgonyApathy

Oct 13, 2019
Teh Intarweb
✟8,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Our literacy and utilization of true science is appalling.

I might agree with you depending on how you define "our," but it seems like well-executed science can really heal the blind and faith can only provide a rationalization for a blind man to accept his existence for what it is.

Why was God willing to send prophets who could perform miracles and open the minds and hearts of people thousands of years ago, but today all we have are people who can talk?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I might agree with you depending on how you define "our," but it seems like well-executed science can really heal the blind and faith can only provide a rationalization for a blind man to accept his existence for what it is.

Why was God willing to send prophets who could perform miracles and open the minds and hearts of people thousands of years ago, but today all we have are people who can talk?

Relying on science for the healing of sickness is the same as saying "let us sin so that grace may abound".

God speaks to us today through the testimony of Jesus Christ, and the writings of the new testament.

Hebrews 1:1-2King James Version (KJV)

1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scann

Oct 10, 2019
south east asia
✟17,164.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for sharing this. You have a mental illness that is religious in nature, but you still have a good relationship with God.

I've also struggled with some mental illnesses, depression and schizophrenia. I used to think God was helping me overcome the depression, but my schizo symptoms wrecked my life and everything I was trying to do to combat the depression. Now the depression is back.

I feel like, if there is a God, he plays rope-a-dope with me. Just when I think I'm going to win, he's like Lucy yanking the football away from Charley Brown. I'm trying not to hate God, and to keep an open mind instead of going to full on Atheism, but I just don't see the hand of a loving God in my life or the lives of others.
I hope what I say can make you feel better. When I was 16 and 17,I absolutely HATED playing sports. This wasn't just some simple dislike,I HATED sports with all my heart and it was emotionally distressing for my own reasons. Sometimes on the days where we had to play sports, it would rain. I would be relieved thinking sports would be cancelled only to have the rain stop every time I got into the car to go to school. Talk about rope-a-dope. This happened many times and NOT ONCE was there a day where the rain would continue.I thought God specially hated me like He hated Esau. Once secondary school was over I realized as time passed by, it wasn't something that destroyed me terribly and I went back to God. I know my situation cannot be compared to schizophrenia, but I hope it helps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AgonyApathy

Oct 13, 2019
Teh Intarweb
✟8,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I hope what I say can make you feel better. When I was 16 and 17,I absolutely HATED playing sports. Sometimes on the days where we had to play sports, it would rain. I would be relieved thinking sports would be cancelled only to have the rain stop every time I got into the car to go to school. Talk about rope-a-dope. This happened many times and NOT ONCE was there a day where the rain would continue.I thought God specially hated me like He hated Esau. Once secondary school was over I realized as time passed by, it wasn't something that destroyed me terribly and I went back to God. I know my situation cannot be compared to schizophrenia, but I hope it helps.

Thanks for sharing, but I lost basically everything in my life and a student athletics analogy doesn't really fit my situation. This is more like... imagine you loved sports, but were born with a weird problem with your legs and couldn't run. You have to work twice as hard to get half as far as the other kids, but you are so passionate you practice at home constantly and eventually get accepted on a sports team in spite of this.

Right before you start your new life as an athlete, your lifelong dream, you get hit by a car and paralyzed from the waste down.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Mental illness is a very delicate subject where religion is concerned. I wouldn't expect much encouragement here.

Upvote 0

AgonyApathy

Oct 13, 2019
Teh Intarweb
✟8,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Relying on science for the healing of sickness is the same as saying "let us sin so that grace may abound".

But if you rely on faith for the healing of sickness, all you will get are prayers and rituals and no medications, surgeries etc. The religious sometimes blame the sick for their ailments or blame demonic possession.

Upvote 0

Scann

Oct 10, 2019
south east asia
✟17,164.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for sharing, but I lost basically everything in my life and a student athletics analogy doesn't really fit my situation. This is more like... imagine you loved sports, but were born with a weird problem with your legs and couldn't run. You have to work twice as hard to get half as far as the other kids, but you are so passionate you practice at home constantly and eventually get accepted on a sports team in spite of this.

Right before you start your new life as an athlete, your lifelong dream, you get hit by a car and paralyzed from the waste down.
I do have a relative who had depression once while having OCD. If you need any advice, I will try to help you.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But if you rely on faith for the healing of sickness, all you will get are prayers and rituals and no medications, surgeries etc. The religious sometimes blame the sick for their ailments or blame demonic possession.

My point is that prevention is better than cure. God, and science as well, has revealed abundantly the means of great health. Some maladies take generations of abusing health to manifest, and will likewise take generations of good health practices to mitigate.

Put another way, people don't buy health insurance with the intention of caring for their health, but so they don't have to pay attention to their health. Of course this in insane. :confused:

Upvote 0