✟1,473,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
http://74.208.244.238/ChristianFeministPodcast/Episode130.mp3

Despite this being an episode of the Christian feminist podcast, not much feminism in view here, but some really practical discussion of mental health in our current time, and how churches might constructively respond. I found it helpful and thought it was worth sharing. :)

sparow

Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟482,162.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Despite this being an episode of the Christian feminist podcast, not much feminism in view here, but some really practical discussion of mental health in our current time, and how churches might constructively respond. I found it helpful and thought it was worth sharing. :)

Christian humanist seem to be a contradiction of terms. Ideally a Christian Church should be an antidepressant; Any prolonged illness causes depression; but today, society primes people for depression, but covid isn't the cause of depression but rather the incompetent responses. From the Biblical perspective I believe we are seeing the beginning of sorrows.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I remember when I would attend churches.

There was one church that began working on dealing with mental illness after one of the ministry team went through depression.

There were other churches though, most of them were places you could talk about meaningless things to drown out the inner noise, but people would make them selves scarce or interrupt you to oblivion when anything "real" was talked about.

The atmosphere seemed like it was sucking the life out of me, those without mental illness were sucking happiness out of others - kind of wondering what other people's problems were.

This church construct that was an embodiment of John 17 "may they be one as we are" was perverted somehow and became something satanic - so I just left.

But there are churches that are trying, they just might be hard to find.

I don't attend churches anymore because the issue with my mind and heart branched out and started to resemble empathy and telepathy.

So many people at churches feel alone in the crowd, and the pressure from feeling all of that was crushing me, too much for one person. At least for now anyway.

• Prayers
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Christian humanist seem to be a contradiction of terms.

I would have thought humanism would have reflected Christianity's high view of - well - humans. And humanism has a long history as a strand of thought within Christianity (consider Erasmus, for example, and others of his time).

That said, I agree Covid isn't the cause of most of our difficulties, although it has amplified many. But I also agree that we often respond incompentently, which is why it's helpful to share resources such as the one I linked.

Upvote 0

sparow

Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟482,162.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I would have thought humanism would have reflected Christianity's high view of - well - humans. And humanism has a long history as a strand of thought within Christianity (consider Erasmus, for example, and others of his time).

That said, I agree Covid isn't the cause of most of our difficulties, although it has amplified many. But I also agree that we often respond incompentently, which is why it's helpful to share resources such as the one I linked.

The resource you quoted did not grab me, it wasn't my cup of tea. Not that I mean to pass judgement on other peoples cup of tea. I would put Humanism in the same bag as Evolution; humanism is mankind in the flesh and not mankind in the spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I would have thought humanism would have reflected Christianity's high view of - well - humans.
If I look at the first definition of humanism that I can find, it starts with this:
an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters.
It runs against my belief that we should seek first the kingdom of God. (Matthew 6:33)

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree the whole humanist concept is unhelpful. There is nothing wrong with churches increasing mental health awareness though!

As someone who has battled for years I could tell you some horror stories of what happens when churches don't bother trying to understand mental health

- Being shut out of a church and shunned by a ChristiAn community because they labelled my illness as a jezebel spirit rather than a reaction (I agree a sinful one at times) to trauma and mental torment

- Being told my illnesses were a result of my son and that if I just got right with God i would be ok

- Being told am going to burn in hell unless I give up all psychiatric medication and pasychotherapy. Prophets actually prophesy ing this over me, complete strangers giving me prophecies like this

- Being told I obviously don't want to get better as I wasn't getting better fast eough

- Being told that if I don't give up psychiAtry then I will be so overcome with demons the demons will kill me

- Being told by my own father that my mild learning disability as a child was a sin and I needed to repent and that seeing a doctor or psychologist about it would bring shame on our family. Screaming at me and telling me I was stupid . Apparently God approves of this

- My father telling my sister that she had disgraced our family by having severe depression as a teenager and threatening to cut her with a knife unless she stopped making his family look bad

- Apparently my father's inner healing and deliverance ministry folded because of my sin of having mental illness

- Being sad over being abused is self pity and after you have forgiven the abuser you have to forget and never tell anyone again...I heard this from many Christians

-Being told dying with demons or mental illnesses means you end up in hell even if you have been saved

-My father threatening to beat my illnesses out of me and saying to me "well go on then, kill yourself"

-Being told that mental illness is a sin issue but someone with cancer or MS can't help it and they need sympathy and prayer while mental health issues need pulling

up by bootstraps. I actually believe cancer or MS can also be demonic just as mental illnesses can be,, so maybe rather than giving casseroles and flowers to those people they need exorcism and being told to repent, too?!!

- Obesity caused by compulsive eating is just gluttony, anorexics are just being vain or selfish. Yes, I have heard these!!

- Jan boshoff actually.claimed ADHD can be cured with a belt used in the child

- A dEAR FRIEND with Tourette syndrome being exercised numerous times and made fingers like a failure when she didn't recover and told she must be in sin or wanting to stay sick to get attention

- Being told that inner healing is self indulgent yet churches don't mind giving money to heal leprosy etc. Personally I believe all are valuable to God and mental health and leprosy are both just as important. God loves rich spoiled brats as much as he loves poor orphans in third world countries because God loves everyone

-Being told it is a sin to marry but go on contraceptives as due to mental health reasons I can't raise a child

• Useful
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I'm finally finishing the last 5 minutes of the podcast, a good one by the way.

One suggestion that helped me over the years is to look at any weakness as a means for God to be strong in our lives. It's not instantaneous, but trusting Him in it, the weakness or mental illness can be a means for God to work through as His strength.

Because, when I am weak, He is strong. Or so the scripture says.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If I look at the first definition of humanism that I can find, it starts with this: "an outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters."

I'd have said, more, "an outlook or system of thought which places high value on human flourishing, and takes a high view of human potential." That can be integrated with seeking first the kingdom of God, since the kingdom of God also places high value on human flourishing and takes a high view of human potential!

@WrappedUpinHisLove3, thank you for sharing all of that. I have had similar situations, both in my own life and in the stories of people to whom I've ministered. It's truly frightening that this kind of thing is so normal in our churches.

• Friendly
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joymercy

Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟245,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
My mostly all white gigantic parish recently grabbed a wondering person who walked into our mass, utilizing about 4 ushers to tackle him, shove him up the main aisle, and literally shove him out the door and slam it behind him locking him out.

He wondered into the service at the end of it, and was walking up the aisle, looking at the cross on the wall.

Everyone was seated.

He walked up groaning loudly and when he reached the foot of the cross, he looked up. He extended his arms.

He groaned loudly again, speech or language not something he could manage at the moment.

He wasn't prayed over, nothing at all was mentioned after he was forced out the door, no one said to pray for him.

He was shown the street, where no one could see if he was going to wonder into the street or needed to go the the hospital or anything at all.

Totally disgusted, I can see the validity of many points made here.

People who are suffering in this way are treated so very badly, I don't think I will ever recover from the pure hatred and disgust of fellow Catholics over the least of these.

Its not the church I blame, but individual leaders and people who are members.

I don't blame God at all.

The example I saw, it is really making me think of leaving, though.

I just want to vomit.

There are no words for the disgust I have seen there over other people who have mental illness of any kind at all.

It is vile to me, really, just totally not at all they way of Christ.

Its not just the whispers of racist remarks here and there, but this behavior shows to me that really, the most hated group of all, are people who have known mental illness.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My mostly all white gigantic parish recently grabbed a wondering person who walked into our mass, utilizing about 4 ushers to tackle him, shove him up the main aisle, and literally shove him out the door and slam it behind him locking him out.

He wondered into the service at the end of it, and was walking up the aisle, looking at the cross on the wall.

Everyone was seated.

He walked up groaning loudly and when he reached the foot of the cross, he looked up. He extended his arms.

He groaned loudly again, speech or language not something he could manage at the moment.

He wasn't prayed over, nothing at all was mentioned after he was forced out the door, no one said to pray for him.

He was shown the street, where no one could see if he was going to wonder into the street or needed to go the the hospital or anything at all.

Totally disgusted, I can see the validity of many points made here.

People who are suffering in this way are treated so very badly, I don't think I will ever recover from the pure hatred and disgust of fellow Catholics over the least of these.

I don't blame God at all.

The example I saw, it is really making me think of leaving, though.

I just want to vomit.

There are no words for the disgust I have seen there over other people who have mental illness of any kind at all.

It is vile to me, really, just totally not at all they way of Christ.

Its not just the whispers of racist remarks here and there, but this behavior shows to me that really, the most hated group of all, are people who have known mental illness.
I

This makes me so

Upvote 0

joymercy

Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟245,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't know. He wondered in at the very end, before there is a blessing and all then can go home.

Maybe it was because he forgot to put on a mask and they were irate that he could possibly make others sick with covid.

I remember when I served the least of these, I felt the most Joy in my life.

Upvote 0

joymercy

Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟245,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I think it comes down to the non wearing of the mask, plus the need to throw out anyone who is disturbing the mass......

People who are hungry and homeless are ignored, unless it happens to a registered member, then someone might help you, but first you have to be referred by another member.

I mean, we cant just have people wondering in asking for help or anything?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joymercy

Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟245,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
There might be chaos and so order had to be enforced somehow.......?

Someone told me, "what if he had a gun?"

"What was he going to do?"

"those poor ushers must have been so scared."

Our ushers are armed too....just think of it....if you wonder in like this, you might end up shot and killed, no kidding.

They are off duty and former military and have a legal right to carry here.

This reminds me of a church I visited a few years ago, and there were a lot of people who were suffering and wondering in.

They were ministered to.

I loved that place so much.

Open arms and lots of love and prayers.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I think it comes down to the non wearing of the mask, plus the need to throw out anyone who is disturbing the mass......

People who are hungry and homeless are ignored, unless it happens to a registered member, then someone might help you, but first you have to be referred by another member.

I mean, we cant just have people wondering in asking for help or anything?

If that church has been holding mass inside, I don't see why they would be worried about a mask. They're already at risk just by being in a confined space.

I wouldn't go back and I would clearly let them know why. The church exists for people like that man; it doesn't exist to be an exclusive country club.

I am sorry that you had this experience. :(

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I think - and not wanting to pick on your church, because this is a problem for so many churches - there are questions to be asked of the church, though. Such as why leaders don't receive good training to support people with mental health issues?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think - and not wanting to pick on your church, because this is a problem for so many churches - there are questions to be asked of the church, though. Such as why leaders don't receive good training to support people with mental health issues?

I think you have a couple significant barriers to the church meeting mental health needs: 1) The identification of mental illness with demonic activity. So long as the assumption is that they are both one and the same it will always be approached as evil and not as a health issue. 2) The presumption that spiritual well being is the necessary and sufficient solution to mental illness. I'm not sure how to address these, but they are significant barriers to effectiveness.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think you have a couple significant barriers to the church meeting mental health needs: 1) The identification of mental illness with demonic activity. So long as the assumption is that they are both one and the same it will always be approached as evil and not as a health issue. 2) The presumption that spiritual well being is the necessary and sufficient solution to mental illness. I'm not sure how to address these, but they are significant barriers to effectiveness.

True. I do wonder how much some good training would help. A compulsory unit in seminary that combines a working knowledge of common mental health issues, how and where to refer people for appropriate support, some basic mental health first aid skills... something like that could go a long way both to dismantling both the barriers you identify and equipping people to respond better.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0