Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys, I am praying on something that might be awesome and want to run it by you guys.
and see what you think?
How about a 40 acre tract of woods and brush that we could put up several small one room cabins and let men who are recovering from alcohol or drugs stay there and take care of a few farm animals and a large community garden that the extra produce would be further given the poor in the community.
These men would have campfire bible studies and Sunday church regularly as part of the program.
I believe there are many areas we could go into here, Like a community corrections team that let guys work off their debts here in our county like community service etc:
We could also help them find jobs and teach them some biblical values.
What are your thoughts? Concerns? etc

Great idea - you’ll need some qualified staff though I think, people with experience in dealing with people in recovery, who can be unpredictable. Might be worth firing an email to John Eldredge for advice, he has a lot of experience setting up faith based support systems of one sort or another.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's worth noting that addiction and alcoholism stunt or stop emotional development. So even though the people you are working with may seem to be 30 or 40 on intellectual levels or physical levels, they may in fact be 10 or 12 emotionally or socially. Then add to that the fact that a lot (not all, but a lot) of the community comes from families that were themselves impacted by addiction where significant physical and emotional abuse and neglect occurred. Many have backgrounds involving homelessness, street living or incarceration and the drug or substance is the only coping mechanism they have for life. Having professional counselors or planned therapy sessions can help, but what's really needed is a lot of love.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
This is good stuff and lot's to think and pray about. I think the best thing to do is start a board of people who have the heart and let everyone pray and agree what steps should be taken and then slowly step in.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Nayte

Dec 12, 2016
oakland california
✟19,196.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So they purge themselves before their monthly test, and keep using or selling drugs. What then?
Of course there would be issues, but what does that have to do with anything? Should we let that stop us from ever helping people because they might find some way to mess things up sometimes? Those are just things you deal with when you get to them, you help people because it is the right thing to do, if they are not complying with the help, you do what you can and that is that. You do not say "well what if they do this or that" Unless you are simply just trying to prep the poster for things that way they can more efficiently do this lol.

I am not saying you are saying not to help or not to do this.

I think it is a great idea. There are too many 'programs' that are ran by the government and states, having a simple place like this would be awesome for people to relax, get help and advice, be taught and keep busy without all the noise.

I thought about something like this myself recently. Like getting a big piece of land, and getting the poor, needy, widows, hurt, fosters and whoever wants to come and having farming, animals, and just general wildlife and other cool duties and things to do, but mostly telling them of Christ, and teaching them , and helping ourselves in the process from the nice air at the very least :D. A nice sense of community, like a mini community in a community where they can go and just work together and rely on each other, and complete goals. But the main thing to do, is to pray to Jesus Christ and ask if it is His will for you to do it. Just let Him lead you, you are thinking right though focused on helping others and making change, I think that is a huge step in the right direction already. I am not sure if people even think about the changes we need to make as communities anymore, but it is something that needs improving. We live in an awkward society of lack of communication, lack of things to do other than social media and pay money to do things. And on top of that, it is full of evil.

Imagine having a real community, where you actually work together and know each other, and build, have fun, teach and encourage etc. Now imagine if they all were followers of Christ, that would be awesome. Ever thought how awesome it would be if everyone followed Christ ? What would the earth be like, it is something I have thought about countless times, Imagine how good we could have it, working together and loving each other, and even though we would still have problems, we would all be so much better off. I pray that you are revealed on what you should do. Much love.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Of course there would be issues, but what does that have to do with anything? Should we let that stop us from ever helping people because they might find some way to mess things up sometimes? Those are just things you deal with when you get to them, you help people because it is the right thing to do, if they are not complying with the help, you do what you can and that is that. You do not say "well what if they do this or that" Unless you are simply just trying to prep the poster for things that way they can more efficiently do this lol.

I think it is a great idea. There are too many 'programs' that are ran by the government and states, having a simple place like this would be awesome for people to relax, get help and advice, be taught and keep busy without all the noise.

I thought about something like this myself recently. Like getting a big piece of land, and getting the poor, needy, widows, hurt, fosters and whoever wants to come and having farming, animals, and just general wildlife and other cool duties and things to do, but mostly telling them of Christ, and teaching them , and helping ourselves in the process from the nice air at the very least :D. A nice sense of community, like a mini community in a community where they can go and just work together and rely on each other, and complete goals. But the main thing to do, is to pray to Jesus Christ and ask if it is His will for you to do it. Just let Him lead you, you are thinking right though focused on helping others and making change, I think that is a huge step in the right direction already. I am not sure if people even think about the changes we need to make as communities anymore, but it is something that needs improving. We live in an awkward society of lack of communication, lack of things to do other than social media and pay money to do things. And on top of that, it is full of evil.

Imagine having a real community, where you actually work together and know each other, and build, have fun, teach and encourage etc. Now imagine if they all were followers of Christ, that would be awesome. Ever thought how awesome it would be if everyone followed Christ ? What would the earth be like, it is something I have thought about countless times, Imagine how good we could have it, working together and loving each other, and even though we would still have problems, we would all be so much better off. I pray that you are revealed on what you should do. Much love.
Are you close to Ar? I was thinking of a volunteer program and letting people come in and help :] I think it could be awesome :]

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Like I said to the OP way earlier in the thread: Vital to the success of this venture is having it be well-run. Having it be well-run means making sure people aren't taking or selling drugs (or if it's within the scope of the idea, alcohol) while they are there. Nowhere in this thread did I advise against doing this altogether. Rather, I'm pointing out potential pitfalls in the idea as presented so it can be refined and improved before it is implemented, to reduce the frequency and impact of weaknesses in the system being exploited. I am doing this because the lives of the people the OP wants to touch matter, and the better clients deserve protection from the abuses of the bad clients. It will fall on the OP to provide that protection, and he can't protect against something he doesn't anticipate. The clients deserve for this to be the best it can be, and the King of Kings certainly does as well. OP seems to get that. I'm not seeing a good reason for you to criticize advice that I have given and that he seems to have taken in stride.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0