Men vote less than women. 20-35 vote less.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Whats going on.
Australia's trend is apparently similar to Britains. Im unsure about the USA. But why is it that men are less inclined to vote; except in the very elderly. What is it about Gen X & Y that they vote less than everyone. And who'd have thought my nanna's generation votes more than anyone.

I'd love to know if this is a world wide trend. The attachment is from the recent SSM plebesite showing response rates.

Participation_infographic.gif

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I personally see it as not my duty since I'm already pretty cynical of worldly leadership as it is. Most politicians will only tell you what you want to hear just to get into positions of power for their own benefit and I'd rather not contribute to that nonsense.
This wasnt even an election of politicians - It was to guage opinion on Same Sex Marriage

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But why is it that men are less inclined to vote;
I don't know about Australia, but in the US there has been a pointed move since the early 1970s to get women to vote, to go to college and graduate, etc. as they have been under represented forever. As a result most young men have taken away the attitude that they should NOT vote or go to college. Somewhere in the 1980s college enrollment of women outpaced men and the gap has been slowly growing since then. Voting ratios have followed that same trend.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't know about Australia, but in the US there has been a pointed move since the early 1970s to get women to vote, to go to college and graduate, etc. as they have been under represented forever. As a result most young men have taken away the attitude that they should NOT vote or go to college. Somewhere in the 1980s college enrollment of women outpaced men and the gap has been slowly growing since then. Voting ratios have followed that same trend.
Are men just less interested or less informed?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are men just less interested or less informed?
Not sure, perhaps both.

With all of the heavy emphasis on advancing girls and women, perhaps they feel left out so instead of doing something about it they settle into just watching sports.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Anecdotally (and we all know what that's worth, but anyway.... ) among my peers, women tend to be the household organisers. My bet would be that women are more likely to have included dropping off some mail in between the school run, the grocery shopping, various appointments, etc. For the men, it would have been more "out of their way" to make a special point of mailing something. Many of my female peers talked about having to remind their husbands/partners to vote on time, and then mailing it back for them, that sort of thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's a pretty well known phenomenon that old people vote in droves. Here in the States they care a lot about their Social Security and Medicare benefits and they tend to vote down anyone who wants to cut those benefits. Young people are just less engaged in politics and tend to see it as not really affecting them.

Upvote 0