visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Yehuda Liebes has brought to our attention the striking identification of Metatron with Yeshua in the liturgy and the reverberations of these traditions in passages of the printed edition of The Seventy Names of Metatron and in later kabbalistic works. Liebes argues that the reference to Yeshua stems from antiquity and is represented textually as Yeshua, prince of the countenance, a clear reference to the angelic Metatron. As Liebes shows through a separate example, these associations and literary traditions stem from Jewish-Christian circles and found their way into canonical Jewish texts." (Attributed to Daniel Abrams)

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Jewish literature has a lot to say about the heavenly Tabernacles/Temples, including numerous references to a mysterious figure known as Metatron, who is given such an exalted position, that at times he is even associated with God Himself.

In the Soncino Zohar glossary, Metatron is given the following two definitions:
1.) The chief of the Chieftains, the power charged with the sustenance of mankind.
2.) The head of the "world of creation," called also the "servant" or the "body" of the Shekinah

As seen in the citations below, Metatron also bears a great likeness to Yeshua in that:
1.) The heavenly Temple is His
2.) He is compared to Joshua and to God
3.) He teaches Jews the mysteries of the Torah
4.) He performs an atoning work for Israel

Soncino Zohar, Shemoth, Section 2, Page I43a
- ‘This song King Solomon poured forth when the Temple was erected and all the worlds, above and below, had reached their perfect consummation. And although concerning the exact time of its singing there is some difference of opinion among the members of the Fellowship, we may be certain that it was not sung until that time of absolute completion, when the Moon-the Shekinah-came to her fulness and was revealed in the full perfection of her radiance, and when the Temple had been erected in the likeness of the Temple that is above. The Holy One, blessed be He, then experienced such joy as He had not known since the creation of the world. When Moses set up the Tabernacle in the wilderness, another such was raised in the heavenly spheres, as we learn from the words: "And it came to pass... that the Tabernacle was reared up", the reference being to the other Tabernacle, to that which was above, namely the Tabernacle of the "Young Man", Metatron, and nothing greater. But when the first Temple was completed another Temple was erected at the same time, which was the centre for all the worlds, shedding radiance upon all things and giving light to all the spheres. Then the world was firmly established, and all the supernal casements were opened to pour forth light, and all the worlds experienced such joy as had never been known to them before, and celestial and terrestrial beings alike broke forth in song. And the song which they sang is the "Song of Songs", or, as we might render, "Song of the Singers", of those musicians who chant to the Holy One, blessed be He.

Metatron is compare to Joshua (much the same as Yeshua often is) as well as to God Himself:

Soncino Zohar, Shemoth, Section 2, Page 164a -
Then he began to expound to them this verse: A song of degrees for Solomon (li-shelomoh). Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it; except the Lord guard the city, the watchman waketh but in vain (Ps. CXXVII, 1-2). Said he: Was it Solomon who composed this Psalm when he built the Temple? (for li-shelomoh could be understood to mean "of Solomon"). Not so. It was King David who composed it, about his son Solomon, when Nathan came to him (David) and told him that Solomon would build the Temple. Then King David showed unto his son Solomon, as a model, the celestial prototype of the Temple, and David himself, when he saw it and all the activities connected with it, as set forth in the celestial idea of it, sang this psalm concerning his son Solomon. There is also yet another interpretation, namely, that "for Solomon" (li-shelomoh) refers to Him "whose is the peace" (shalom), and this psalm is a hymn above all hymns, which ascends higher than all. "Except the Lord build the house": King David saw all the seven pillars upon which that house, the Universe, stands-for they stand row upon row-and above them all is the Master of the House, who advances with them, giving them power and strength, to each in turn. It is concerning this that King David said: "Except the King, whose is the peace, and who is the Master of the House, build the house, they labour in vain that build it"-that is to say, the pillars. Except the Lord-the King, whose is the peace-guard the city, "the watchman waketh but in vain". This is the pillar upon which the Universe stands, namely the "Righteous" who keeps waking guard over the City. The Tabernacle which Moses constructed had Joshua for its wakeful and constant guard; for he alone guarded it who is called the "young man", namely Joshua, of whom it says: "Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the Tent" (Ex. XXXIII, 11). Later in its history it was another "young man" who guarded it, namely Samuel (I Sam. 1l, I8), for the Tabernacle could be guarded only by a youth. The Temple, however, was guarded by the Holy One Himself, as it is written, "Except the Lord guard the City, the watchman waketh but in vain". And who is the watchman? The "young man", Metatron. And you, holy saints, ye are not guarded as the Tabernacle was guarded, but as the Temple was guarded, namely, by the Holy One Himself; for, whenever the righteous are on a journey the Holy One guards them continually, as it is written: "The Lord shall keep thy going out and thy coming in from now and forever" (Ps. CXXI, 9) Then they accompanied him on his journey for a distance of three miles, and, parting from him, returned to their own way, and they were moved to quote these words concerning him. "For he shall give his angels charge over thee to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands" (Ps. XCI, 11, I2); and "Thy father shall be glad and thy mother rejoice" (Prov. XXIII, 25).
Metatron teaches the mysteries of Torah, something associated in Judaism to the Messiah:
Soncino Zohar, Shemoth, Section 2, Page 169b - Then they all rejoiced for that whole day in the words of the Torah, and the inhabitants of the town appointed the young man to be their head. On the next day R. Jose and R. Hiya rose and blessed them all, and departed on their way. As they came near to R. Simeon, he lifted up his eyes, and seeing them, said: To-day did I behold you with the eyes of the spirit, and I saw that ye dwelt for two days and a night in the Tabernacle of that Youth, Metatron, and the Youth taught you of the supernal mysteries in the joy of the Torah. Blessed are ye, my children; When they had told him all that had happened to them, he said: Happy are ye, and happy is my lot, for well do I recollect the day when his father, Rab Saphra, accompanied me on my way, and when I parted from him I blessed him with this blessing-that he might have a son who should be a scholar, but not that he himself should live to see it. Happy, my children, is your lot! Concerning you it is written: "And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord" (Isa. LIV, 13). There is, however, another interpretation of this verse. Does God teach all the children of the Israelites the Torah? Yes, indeed, for when these little ones learn, the Shekinah comes and lends to each of them power and energy to study; for without the help of the Holy One the strain on these babes would be too great.
In Midrash Rabbah we find reference to Metatron and the two Tabernacles, as well as His performing acts of atonement:
Midrash Rabbah - Numbers XII:12 - When the Holy One, blessed be He, told Israel to set up the Tabernacle He intimated to the ministering angels that they also should make a Tabernacle, and when the one below was erected the other was erected on high. The latter was the tabernacle of the youth whose name was Metatron, and therein he offers up the souls of the righteous to atone for Israel in the days of their exile. The reason then why it is written ETH THE TABERNACLE is because another tabernacle was erected simultaneously with it. In the same strain it says, The place, O Lord, which Thou hast made for Thee to dwell in, the Sanctuary, O Lord, which Thy hands have established (Ex. XV, I7).
Lastly, there is a very interesting connection made between Moses' rod and Metatron:
Soncino Zohar, Bershith, Section 1, Page 27a - Similarly of Moses it is written, "And the staff of God was in his hand." This rod is Metatron, from one side of whom comes life and from the other death."

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
The Targums were authoritative Aramaic paraphrases of the books of the Tenach which were read in the synagogues along with the Hebrew of the Torah and Haftorah readings. Often when the Targums come to passages where YHVHis anthropomorphized or seen, or where two or more YHVHs are indicated by the text, the Targums will substitute "The MEMRA [Memra] of YHVH" for YHVH.

Targum Onkelos Gen 15:6 And Abraham trusted in the MEMRA of YHVH,and He counted it to him for righteousness.

Jerusalem Targum Gen. 22:14 And Abraham worshipped and prayed in the name of the MEMRA [Memra] of YHVH,and said, "You are YHVH who does see, but You cannot be seen."

Targum Onkelos on Gen. 28:20-2 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying,"If the MEMRA [word] of YHVH will be my support, and will keep me in the way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,so that I come again to my father's house in peace;then shall the MEMRA of YHVH be my Elohim.

Targum of Psalm 62 reads: Trust in the MEMRA of YHVH at all times,O people of the house of Israel! Pour out before Him the sightings of your heart; Say, Elohim is our trust forever.

Targ. Jonathan Gen. 1:27 And the MEMRA of YHVH created man in his likeness, in the likeness of YHVH,YHVH created, male and female created He them.
Maybe we all should read the Targum.. it might inspire us also.

Jerusalem Targum Ex. 3:14 And the MEMRA [Memra] of YHVH said to Moses: "I am He who said unto the world 'Be!' and it was: and who in the future shall say to it 'Be!' and it shall be." And He said:"Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: 'I Am' has sent me to you."

The Fragmentary Targum of the Torah also expresses that the MEMRA of YHVH was the Creator:

Fragmentary Targum Ex. 12:42 The first night, when the "MEMRA of YHVH"was revealed to the world in order to create it,the world was desolate and void,and darkness spread over the face of the abyss and the "MEMRA (Memra) of the Lord" was bright and illuminating and He called it the first night.

Targum Onkelos Gen. 9:17 And YHVH said to Noah,"This is the token of the covenant which I have established between My MEMRA [Memra] and between all flesh that is upon the earth.

Targum Onkelos Gen. 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between My MEMRA [Memra] and between you.

Targum Jonathan Is. 45:17, 25 But Israel shall be saved by the MEMRA of YHVH with an everlasting salvation By the MEMRA of YHVH shall all the seed of Israel be justified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Acts 7:38 He was in the assembly in the wilderness, with the angel who spoke to him on Mount Sinai, and with our ancestors; and he received living words to pass on to us.

The following from the Zohar is of interest in this case:
There is a man, if a Man He is, Who is an Angel. This Angel is Metatron, the Keeper of Israel; He is a man in the image of the Holy One, blessed be He, Who is an Emanation from Him [from God]; yea, He [the Metatron] is YHVH. Of Him cannot be said, He is created, formed or made; but He is the Emanation from God.

Hebrew1:1 Elohim, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways,

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Memra Gershom Scholem states:
...the MEMRA-- the paraphrase used in the Targumim, the Aramaic Bible translations, to refer to Elohim's MEMRA. The memra is not merely a linguistic device for overcoming the problem of biblical anthropomorphism; it has theological significance in its own right. The memra....is.... a world-permeating force, a reality in the world of matter or mind, the immanent aspect of Elohim, holding all things under its omnipresent sway.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
We find the children of Israel, having been brought in safety through the Red Sea, obtained the testimony
Exodus 14:31 "They believed in the Lord and in His servant Moses."

Onkelos, in order to preserve the true faith of the children of Israel, paraphrases these MEMRAs thus:
"And they believed in the MEMRA of the Lord, and in the prophecy of Moses, His servant."

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
No oath was valid except by the MEMRA of the Lord as shown in this example Moses says
Joshua 9:19: "But all the princes said unto all the congregation, We have sworn unto them by the MEMRA of the Lord, the Elohim of Israel; and now, therefore, we dare not injure them."

Jonathan ben Uziel paraphrases:
"Ye shall fear before the presence of the Lord your Elohim, and before Him ye shall worship, and by the name of the MEMRA of the Lord ye shall swear in truth."

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Joshua 2:12 "Now therefore swear unto me by the Lord, since I have shewed you kindness, that ye will also show kindness unto my father's house, and give me a true token."

This passage is paraphrased by Jonathan ben Uziel:
"Now therefore swear unto me by the MEMRA of the Lord, since I have shewed you kindness, that ye will also shew kindness unto my father's house, and give me a true token."

Paraphrase of Jonathan ben Uziel
Judges 11:10 "And the elders of Gilead said to Jephthah: The MEMRA of the Lord be witness between us, if we do not according to thy MEMRA."

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Paraphrase of Jonathan ben Uziel, Jonathan saying to David
1 Sam 20:23 "And as touching the matter which thou and I have spoken of, behold, the MEMRA of the Lord be witness between me and thee for ever."

According to the Chaldee Paraphrase, Jonathan, on parting with David, says in verse 42
"And Jonathan said to David, Go in peace, forasmuch as we have sworn both of us in the name of the Lord, saying, The MEMRA of the Lord be witness between me and thee, and between my son and thy son for ever."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
The Bodies of God and the World of Ancient Israel by Benjamin Sommer P.41

MEMRA "a temporary manifestation of deity"... until Yeshua..

now that is an interesting way of putting it. While I do not endorse the book itself, there are some interesting things that came forth.. God had more than one body and fluid, unbounded self... that is until He took on the form of which we know as Yeshua, which He has committed to keeping for all eternity as the embodiment of Himself hence forth.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Jewish literature has a lot to say about the heavenly Tabernacles/Temples, including numerous references to a mysterious figure known as Metatron, who is given such an exalted position, that at times he is even associated with God Himself.

In the Soncino Zohar glossary, Metatron is given the following two definitions:

The chief of the Chieftains, the power charged with the sustenance of mankind
The head of the "world of creation," called also the "servant" or the "body" of the Shekinah
As seen in the citations below, Metatron also bears a great likeness to Yeshua in that:

The heavenly Temple is His
He is compared to Joshua and to God
He teaches Jews the mysteries of the Torah
He performs an atoning work for Israel

Metatron

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
where two or more YHVHs are indicated by the text
Where would that be?

Also, where do you get the idea that MEMRA was used for this particular purpose? The Jewish Encyclopedia doesn't mention it. It only states that MEMRA was used to denote a anthropomorphism of the Lord.

"MEMRA" in the Targums cannot be used to "figure out" where Yeshua is being indicated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Where would that be?

Also, where do you get the idea that MEMRA was used for this particular purpose? The Jewish Encyclopedia doesn't mention it. It only states that MEMRA was used to denote a anthropomorphism of the Lord.

"MEMRA" in the Targums cannot be used to "figure out" where Yeshua is being indicated.
If they walk the same, talk the same, sit in the same position, have the same authority, ... might just be the same "person".

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Gen. 19:4 the Tenach has:

And YHVH rained brimstone and fire upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah, from YHVH, from the heavens.

Targum Jonathan substitutes "The Word of YHWH/the L-RD" for the first of the two YHWHs as follows:

And the Word of the YHWH caused to descend upon the peoples of Sodom and Gommorah, brimstone and fire from the YHWH in heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Ex. 24:1a (YHWH is the speaker, see Ex. 20:1-2) Now He [YHWH] said to Moses, "come up to YHWH..."

But Targum Jonathan paraphrases the speaker in Ex. 20:1 with the substitution "the Word [Memra] of YHWH" in place of "YHWH."

And the Word of the Lord spoke all these glorious words...

So it would seem that one of these entities called "YHWH" in these Torah passages was actually understood by the Targumists as being the "Word of YHWH." And the word of YNVH is Yeshua the MEMRA.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where would that be?

The Messenger of YHWH is called Messenger, YHWH, Elohim etc interchangeably, but he also refers to God as someone else other than himself

For example,

Judges 6:11-22
And there came an angel of YHWH, and sat under an oak which was in Ophrah, that pertained unto Joash the Abiezrite: and his son Gideon threshed wheat by the winepress, to hide it from the Midianites.

And the angel of YHWH appeared unto him, and said unto him, YHWH is with thee, thou mighty man of valour.

And Gideon said unto him, Oh my Master, if YHWH be with us, why then is all this befallen us? and where be all his miracles which our fathers told us of, saying, Did not YHWH bring us up from Egypt?
but now YHWH hath forsaken us, and delivered us into the hands of the Midianites.

And YHWH looked upon him, and said, Go in this thy might, and thou shalt save Israel from the hand of the Midianites: have not I sent thee?

And he said unto him, Oh my Master, wherewith shall I save Israel?
behold, my family is poor in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house.

And YHWH said unto him, Surely I will be with thee, and thou shalt smite the Midianites as one man.

And he said unto him, If now I have found grace in thy sight, then shew me a sign that thou talkest with me.
Depart not hence, I pray thee, until I come unto thee, and bring forth my present, and set it before thee.

And he said, I will tarry until thou come again.

And Gideon went in, and made ready a kid, and unleavened cakes of an ephah of flour: the flesh he put in a basket, and he put the broth in a pot, and brought it out unto him under the oak, and presented it.

And the angel of God said unto him, Take the flesh and the unleavened cakes, and lay them upon this rock, and pour out the broth.

And he did so.

Then the angel of YHWH put forth the end of the staff that was in his hand, and touched the flesh and the unleavened cakes; and there rose up fire out of the rock, and consumed the flesh and the unleavened cakes.

Then the angel of YHWH departed out of his sight.

And when Gideon perceived that he was an angel of YHWH, Gideon said, Alas, O Master YHWH! for because I have seen an angel of YHWH face to face.

And YHWH said unto him, Peace be unto thee; fear not: thou shalt not die.

Another verse where the Messenger of YHWH is interchangeably called YHWH & Messenger, and refers to YHWH as someone else

Zechariah 3:1-2
And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of YHWH, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
And YHWH said unto Satan, YHWH rebuke thee, O Satan; even YHWH that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?

See how this is worded? The Messenger of YHWH is called YHWH, and then it records that same Messenger, called YHWH, referring to YHWH as someone else when he rebuked the devil.

First it calls him Messenger, then YHWH, then YHWH refers to another YHWH.

• Winner
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
If they walk the same, talk the same, sit in the same position, have the same authority, ... might just be the same "person".
I'm not sure what to make of this post. I don't know who "they" are. I thought we were talking about a word,MEMRA, not a person or persons.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The Messenger of YHWH is called Messenger, YHWH, Elohim etc interchangeably, but he also refers to God as someone else other than himself
The Angel of the LORD is just that, an angel. He speaks directly on behalf of God, so sometimes it is written as though God himself is talking. That is not the same thing as saying that this Angel is God. Do we agree?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Zechariah 3:1-2
And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of YHWH, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
And YHWH said unto Satan, YHWH rebuke thee, O Satan; even YHWH that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?
See how this is worded? The Messenger of YHWH is called YHWH, and then it records that same Messenger, called YHWH, referring to YHWH as someone else when he rebuked the devil.

First it calls him Messenger, then YHWH, then YHWH refers to another YHWH.
This is not a case of the LORD referring to another LORD. It is simply theLORD speaking in the third person. It's no different than if my daughter were to say to me, "But daddy said I could have a cookie," and I say back, "Well, Mommy says no."

Upvote 0