Los Angeles Area
✟829,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I would not want to be guilty of providing 'graphic description of the alleged assault, and links to the same', so you'll just have to find the story yourself. You can search on the title or some of the following quotes to find the story.

"Twenty years ago Memphis mega-church teaching pastor Andy Savage sexually assaulted a high school senior who was 17 years old.

According to Fox 13, the Highpoint Church leader admitted to the act on his social media platforms. At the time, Savage was in college and working as a staffer at a Texas Baptist church now known as StoneBridge."

--

"She was told that the associate pastor would inform the head pastor and the church would deal with the situation. In the days that followed Savage went on as though nothing was outside of the norm. In fact, he even taught a workshop titled “True Love Waits” about sexual purity and abstinence."

--

"Jules Woodson has filed a police report about the incident."

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would not want to be guilty of providing 'graphic description of the alleged assault, and links to the same', so you'll just have to find the story yourself.
That's okay. We don't mind doing some of the work. You do so much for us, always going above and beyond the call of duty to bring us these kinds of stories.

Upvote 0

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't been on the site in some time so I assume there's some subtext to your declining to link to the victim's actual description? I just read it myself and her account, while specific, is not especially graphic (except insofar as an adult's having coerced sexual contact with a 17-year-old is per se graphic and disturbing).

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I haven't been on the site in some time so I assume there's some subtext to your declining to link to the victim's actual description? I just read it myself and her account, while specific, is not especially graphic (except insofar as an adult's having coerced sexual contact with a 17-year-old is per se graphic and disturbing).

This thread was edited by mods and I got a yellow card.

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Oh man, this story, already horrific, just gets worse as you learn more about it.

After he decided/was asked to leave and thrown a huge, friendly "Farewell" party, the church (where Jules and her parents still attended) considered BRINGING HIM BACK.

And it just gets uglier...

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read an article. And didn't see anything. That shouldn't been aloud.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Mega pastor gets a standing ovation from his congregation as he apologizes for sexually assaulting a 17-year-old two decades ago...

However it was the final conclusion to his remarks that was met with a standing ovation. In closing, Savage added for 'Any painful memories or fresh wounds this has created for anyone, I am sorry and I humbly ask for your forgiveness, I love you all very much,' to which the audience stood up and roared in applause.

I see this update has also been posted in the Christians-only News forum.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"She was told that the associate pastor would inform the head pastor and the church would deal with the situation. In the days that followed Savage went on as though nothing was outside of the norm. In fact, he even taught a workshop titled “True Love Waits” about sexual purity and abstinence."

The church leadership should be held accountable for the lack of action...

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Update: he resigned.

"As I’ve reflected during my leave of absence, I have come to see that many wrongs occurred in 1998. The first was my inappropriate relationship with Jules, which was not only immoral, but meets the definition of abuse of power since I was her youth pastor;"

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
'Any painful memories or fresh wounds this has created for anyone, I am sorry and I humbly ask for your forgiveness, I love you all very much,'

Such a brave soul apologizing for a crime he committed 20 years after the fact when there is little chance he'll face any justice.

"Hey guys sorry I raped one of the young women you've sat next to in these pews for the last 20 years, but I'm totes sorry about it now."

Then applause.

Astonishing.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

majj27

Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Update: he resigned.

"As I’ve reflected during my leave of absence, I have come to see that many wrongs occurred in 1998. The first was my inappropriate relationship with Jules, which was not only immoral, but meets the definition of abuse of power since I was her youth pastor;"

"Inappropriate relationship"? That's an odd way to spell "sexual assault".

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh, no problem. All he has to do is pray for forgiveness and I'm sure many of the people who follow him will easily forgive him. So nice to be the pastor of a megachurch and have the rules not apply to you because you prayed for forgiveness.
Ringo

Upvote 0

majj27

Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Oh, no problem. All he has to do is pray for forgiveness and I'm sure many of the people who follow him will easily forgive him. So nice to be the pastor of a megachurch and have the rules not apply to you because you prayed for forgiveness.
Ringo

Sounds a bit cult-like.

Upvote 0