• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

memory tests -anyone else had them?

Discussion in 'Golden Eagles (age 50 or older as of 2019)' started by leytonstones, Mar 19, 2017.

1. leytonstones

leytonstones Senior Contributor

+4,293
    Baptist
    Private
    Just wondering .......

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. rebornfree

rebornfree Senior Veteran Supporter

+13,407
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    Not to my knowledge but I had a time, about ten years ago, when my mind became very confused and it may have been that my doctor did a short informal test. I'm much better now, but still have some problems recalling words although I can remember events.

What sort of memory test are you thinking of ley? :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. servant of Merciful Love

servant of Merciful Love Goodbye~God bless Supporter

+8,739
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    I don't remember :scratch: lol

Seriously....I have a problem, though Hubby downplays it.

I often have no recall of past events that he relates DETAILS of....even after he tells me! :eek:

I must write down the meds I take and often leave myself notes.
    A trip into one room may leave me wondering what I went in for.....and several derails after I MAY get it done.

The doc downplays it too (I feel) and says as long as I know my name, address, do normal tasks etc I am fine.
    I realize some is normal aging, but I truly feel fragile in body, mind.... and even spirit these days.
    My past serious illnesses have taken their toll, and my body is showing it in many ways.

I also forget names of people I see at Church, or words at times....it is frustrating.

I try to do puzzles and games to stay sharp; Hubby says it is the unimportant things I forget....can't say I agree.

So yes...what test?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. davedajobauk

davedajobauk dum spiro spero Supporter

+27,155
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Sure, I get this quite a bit lately .....

The 'visitor' has to ask a number of questions, that I have no trouble, in responding-to
    and later in the conversation, those same questions, are again asked-of me (?)
    The 'purpose' for that repeating (?)
    is likely to test, the factual-memory's 'retention-abilities'

Are they LOOKING, for 'disconnections' ?
    (or, for empty-boxes)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. leytonstones

leytonstones Senior Contributor

+4,293
    Baptist
    Private
    I have to have memory tests and balance assessment next week. I have already had some tests which I mostly passed but failed miserably on the one where you have to remember a sentence and repeat it later on in the test. Somehow it indicated I have a glitch in my ability to connect/remember something that is written down. Have just had a tilt table test and they seem to think my dizziness is caused by dehydration..... The plot thickens ......

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. davedajobauk

davedajobauk dum spiro spero Supporter

+27,155
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Yes, we cannot ignore, 'diet', 'blood volume' 'poor circulation' and, 'poor blood oxygen content'

All these things are "sent, to try-us"
    Let us try to give-up, what we must lose [at-least] gracefully
    remembering, that we should be GRATEFUL, for the ride :oldthumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  7. servant of Merciful Love

+8,739
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    Goodness...even I may not be able to recall a sentence later! :doh:
    I don't know what that says about either of us ;)....but you are not alone :hug:
    Diet can be remedied, and hopefully other issues with it.
    Continued prayers for your strength, hope, and healing :pray:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. rebornfree

+13,407
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    Prayers for both of you. :prayer:

I think some memory loss is natural with ageing. I remember visiting a lady in her seventies, some years ago, and she would forget occasional words. She knew what she meant to say, but couldn't find the correct term for it. Now that is happening to me in my sixties. Also when I watch quizzes I cannot usually remember the previous question which has been asked, even though it may have been something I knew the answer to. However I think this may be due to side effects of medication.

I think stress/distress can take its toll too. My severe memory loss in my fifties, was due to trauma. Actually it was a blessing in disguise because it meant that I had to take time out which is what I needed to deal with the issue. As I recovered my memory ability returned but not completely. When I email friends, with about four or five substantial paragraphs, it can take me about five hours. :doh:

I hope your test gets to the root of the issue Ley, and that your memory is as it should be for our age group, and I pray for strength in all the areas of your life which you mention Gail. :)

Just wondering: what are your memories like for significant past events?

9. servant of Merciful Love

+8,739
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    Thanks for your prayers Sue; you also have mine!

Were you asking that question of me.... and Ley?
    Mine are pretty good for major events;momentous events both positive and negative that had a big impact on me.
    Then Hubby mentions things that happened which were good and out of the ordinary and I have no recollection at all.

I also take time to coordinate thoughts, and when writing often edit it umpteen times.
    Then again, it makes me nervous when confronted out of the blue....my brain is a total BLANK!
    I no come backs ...only to think of all I could have said....later :doh:

*I'll probably be back to edit this too lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. rebornfree

+13,407
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    Thank you for your prayers Gail. :hug:

The question was to both of you. :) I can remember events much better than words, so I wondered if it was the same for you and Ley. It seems that it is the same for you, except for the events you mention which your husband remembers but you don't. Could they have impacted more on him than on you, I wonder?

"Co-ordinating" is the problem I have too. I can identify with what you say about editing and re-editing! How I got through my recent degree amazes me. I would plan an essay in note form but could not turn it into sentences, so I had to write down anything which might be relevant and then cut and paste. Only when I had most of the word count could I check the content, see if I'd followed my plan and do the final editing. I'm so thankful for word processing - doing that by hand or typewriter would have been a nightmare. :eek: :D