Memories of the 1980s

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In 1980 we had our third child. We were in pastoral ministry and it was wonderful how God provided for us and His people through those years.

My teenage years were in the 80's. So it was a special time for me. It was a time before we had smartphones, high speed cable internet (with Wifi routers), Amazon one day shipping, social media, HD on demand digital streaming movies, DVD's, Amazon Echoes, cars that brake automatically, etc.. It was a time before things radically changed.

As for the Lord: Well, in 1992, I accepted Christ as my Savior via a Chick tract called "This Was Your Life." It was still a time that was much like the 80's.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The 1980s bring back so many memories.
Musically, it will always be my favourite decade with some of the best artists and bands I have ever known: Wham, Billy Ocean, Toto, Duran Duran, Bonnie Tyler, Depeche Mode. In the late 80s we had Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, and even some cheesy hits from the factory of Stock Aitken and Waterman. All good fun.
Everyone loved the Rubik cube puzzle, but no-one could ever solve them! Personal computers started appearing in schools and homes across the country, the Electron/BBC series computers, the Sinclair Spectrum, Commodore 64 and part of the excitement was loading games using a cassette tape that used to make a screeching noise when it was playing. Eventually they moved onto using 5 1/4 inch and then 3.5 inch disks which loaded programs so much quicker.
Everyone started abandoning their traditional dial-up telephones with push-button ones and gradually they fazed out the old-fashioned dialling tone. Everyone was in to extravagant hairstyles and denim jackets.
Cars became more fast and furious and more motorways opened across the country. The London orbital M25 motorway was completed in 1986. New Class 43 high speed trains (Intercity 125) ran on the main rail routes reducing the journey times between cities.
Unfortunately, the channel tunnel had not been completed yet, so travelling to France had to be done by ferry.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Our little family took shape in the eighties. Beautiful children soon to enter their teenage years. How lovely it has been to see them grow into responsible adults!

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
In the early 1980s, while I was in care waiting for a family, my legal guardian was the High Court. Baroness Butler-Sloss, who became Britain's most senior female high court judge and the same judge who set up the Children's Act, presided over the Diana inquest, handled my adoption case.
In the mid 1980's I was placed for adoption and was finally adopted in 1988 at the age of 13. I was adopted by a single father, who became one of the first men legally allowed to adopt in the country.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't alive then but my aunt was born on 8-8-88. I think that's probably the best birthday of anybody I know. Except maybe if you were born on 7-7-77!

I like some of the music from then. Bonjovi is really good.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Whatever we have experienced so far,the 'best is yet to be!'

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna live to see the 2080s since I'll in my 80s then & most people in my family live until their 90s. So that's gonna be really cool bc we can then do a throwback to the 1980s!!!

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I've been reminiscing over some of the TV shows I used to enjoy as a child back in the 80's. I used to always look forward to Crackerjack, Grange Hill, and sometimes liked to watch Blue Peter (with that famous golden labrador) and that instantly memorable tune which I think was composed by Mike Oldfield. Every day between the children's shows we used to get a rabbit mascot called "Gus" appearing whilst children's birthdays were read out - but was only available on ITV in the South West where I grew up - everyone of my age who comes from there definitely remembers him! And there were the quiz shows - so many to count: Blankety Blank, The Price is Right, Play your Cards Right and Name That Tune.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I've been reminiscing over some of the TV shows I used to enjoy as a child back in the 80's. I used to always look forward to Crackerjack, Grange Hill, and sometimes liked to watch Blue Peter (with that famous golden labrador) and that instantly memorable tune which I think was composed by Mike Oldfield. Every day between the children's shows we used to get a rabbit mascot called "Gus" appearing whilst children's birthdays were read out - but was only available on ITV in the South West where I grew up - everyone of my age who comes from there definitely remembers him! And there were the quiz shows - so many to count: Blankety Blank, The Price is Right, Play your Cards Right and Name That Tune.
Your posts are always so interesting and helpful. Thankyou so much for the memories of the 'eighties'

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Photo of Anthony, looking smart in his school uniform, back in the mid 80s.

49898393_2551031448246413_4294930251907072000_n.jpg

Upvote 0