Membership Money - Or Voluntary Contributions?

Bruce S

Dec 28, 2002
✟1,232.00
Faith
Protestant
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 "I planned on attending services at a local Jewish (non-messianic synagogue), but I've been told you have to be a member which costs money. That kind of soured me but I'm going to find out more info soon."

I hope this isn't considered in bad taste to discuss this here but...I have never heard this before. I've never been to a synagogue that demanded money for visiting. Yes, when you decide to convert and become a member it is customary to pay a membership (rather than passing the plate at services). Every synagogue I have visted the membership is in the range of $500-$5,000 per year. Sounds heavy but it is still less than 10%. A small reform temple in my town can only get a rabbi to come (from an hour and a half away) once a month and for holidays ask for $1,000 for full members and only $500 for those who attend other temples also. It all varies though from shule to shule.

[Partial quote taken from another discussion board, on for Jews who are anti Christian and Messianic.]

Wow.

.:Forum Rule 2:.

Rule No. 2 - No "Trolling"

2) You will not post any topic that disrupts the peace and harmony of this forum. This will include any new user with less than 50 posts starting a "discretional" topic - i.e. a topic not suitable for children. This will also include posts that put down Christianity in general or any posts considered as blasphemy by staff (this is a CHRISTIAN FORUMS site), or posts that put down another Christian group or denomination. This includes links to websites in profiles and signatures. You will not post new threads for the sole purpose of soliciting requests for prophecies.

Is this customary in all Synagogues?

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
1) You do not have to be a member to attend a synagouge. Anyone may enter a synagouge. Anyone may partake in the worship.

period.

2) There is no 'collection' plate passed in syangouges. There is no 'offering' or 'tithes' taken at synagouge. In other words, the way a synagouge funds its social and public programs is via membership fees. There are also 'grants' available to those who want to be members but do not earn enough money so they can become members.

-Yafet.

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
FYI... my posts were responding to the comment that has since been editied out of Bruce's post. Essentially, (after removing some of the offensive wording) he felt that it was 'wrong' to require membership dues.

I am only posting this to give 'context' to the above 2 posts.

Whether this practice is right or wrong can be discussed, but please let's keep it civicl and not offensive to our Jewish brothers and sisters.

My posts did not justify whether this practice is incorrect or correct, but rather I gave more background information so that you, CF members, can more rightly decide.

thank you and Shalom,
Yafet.

Upvote 0