Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In doing research for another project, I came across this, an official resolution adopted in GC in 2007. http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/oth...ing-gains.html

IT READS IN PART:

Conserving Membership Gains - an Appeal

FINAL DRAFT
RECOMMENDED To approve the following appeal to the world Church regarding membership retention and the reclaiming of former members; and further
To encourage widespread circulation of this appeal to church leaders and local congregations.
Conserving Membership Gains—An Appeal
Seventh-day Adventists around the world rejoice in the rapid membership growth of recent years. The Church views this as evidence of Holy Spirit-led movements and a fulfillment of Bible prophecy. (Matthew 24:14, Revelation 14:6, 7) Although the Seventh-day Adventist Church baptized over 5 million people from 2000 - 2005, membership losses during that time equaled nearly 1.4 million. Current indications are that annual membership losses, for reasons other than death, equal approximately 28% of membership accessions. Some membership loss occurs among recent converts, however, this tragic outcome is not limited to new members.

Members leave the Seventh-day Adventist fellowship for a variety of reasons. It is unrealistic to expect that the Church will reach a point where the membership retention rate is 100%. This, however, should not excuse the Church from consciously creating and maintaining a nurturing environment for all members.
Research on why members leave Seventh-day Adventist Church fellowship suggests that social and relational factors are much more significant than disagreement with denominational teachings. In fact, many who leave denominational fellowship remain supportive of Seventh-day Adventist beliefs and even maintain church practices for some time following their departure...

We also know that to retain new members, the following factors are essential. If one of these factors is missing, the member is weakened, but may survive. If two factors are absent, they almost certainly will leave the fellowship of Church members.
    1. They must be able to articulate their beliefs.
    2. They must have friends within the congregation.
    3. They must engage in a personally-meaningful ministry...
The following actions will help to bring this into reality...
  1. Training members in how to re-connect with those who have discontinued church fellowship. In many cases, the return to fellowship of former members is more challenging to the congregation than the acceptance of new converts. Careful attention is needed to facilitate the healing of relationships and the realization, between persons, of the reconciliation that flows from the forgiveness and acceptance received through Jesus Christ.
The General Conference Executive Committee praises God for the rapid growth that is taking place in many areas. Evangelism is the mission of the Church. Leaders and members are commended for making this the priority in planning and budgeting. This we must continue and, while so doing, demonstrate the loving concern of the Good Shepherd for His sheep who may have strayed.

OBSERVATIONS:

1) Given a continual rate of decline less than the official document states, of 25% per year, within 10 years, a church with 100 members would shrink to 6% its 2007 membership.

(The progression [rounded] goes like this: 100, 75, 56, 42, 32, 24, 18, 13, 10, 7. 6)

2) There is a "revolving door" (but not a shut door-- sorry, couldn't resist) of new members, but the statistics were not able to differentiate the percentages of the ones leaving who were newbies, versus long term members.

3) The denomination does have effective teaching techniques in that it states that among those leaving, "many who leave denominational fellowship remain supportive of Seventh-day Adventist beliefs and even maintain church practices for some time following their departure."

However the statement does not indicate the length of time ("for some time", it says) that the ones leaving retain their SDA teachings for 5-10, etc many years. That is because they did not follow up those who left.

4) Startling was the statement that those leaving did so over social and relational issues rather than doctrinal issues. Because the report did not state exactly what those "social and relational issues" were, the reader is unable to decipher the scope and extent of dissatisfaction in these areas causing departure of members.

To remedy the situation several steps are outlined above. As I read it, it sort of explains the attitude some people here. The membership base is hemorrhaging, and they must do all they can to add more people.

It also gives adequate warning to the formers that there is to be an increased effort to woo you back "into the fold" because you are merely a 'wandering sheep who has strayed".

HOW PATRONIZING!

Adventtruth

God is the Gospel!
Sep 7, 2006
Raliegh Durham North Carolina
✟18,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And what gall you have in trying to demean an organizations efforts to bring people back into the truth!

What church do YOU attend?

HTS...the attack mode is not a healthy mode to display. I suggest you kindly show your softer and gentle side. I'm just trying to help you out. Gal 6:1

AT

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Research on why members leave Seventh-day Adventist Church fellowship suggests that social and relational factors are much more significant than disagreement with denominational teachings.

This may have been true at one time, but no more. With the Advent of the internet, the dynamic has changed drastically.

And as long as the administration continues to delude themselves with the above false assurance in spite of the evidence, the real underlying problems and issues will never be properly addressed.

It also gives adequate warning to the formers that there is to be an increased effort to woo you back "into the fold" because you are merely a 'wandering sheep who has strayed".

HOW PATRONIZING!

Yep, that's about it alright.

TSDA's criticize Rome for making the pompous, arrogant, denominationally elitist claim that there is no salvation to be found outside the Mother Church Majesterium. Funny how they absolve themselves for having the exact same mindset and attitude though. :bow: :liturgy: :priest:

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upon reflection of the the 2005 GC Session in St. Louis, there many interesting reports that came out. Of all the actions and preceedings that took place, the one on retaining members really captured my interest. I think it is a very pertinent issue. I mean, after all, filling a bucket that has holes in the bottom with water is kind of pointless.

Here is an opening statement from Mark Finley:

"In the past five years, the Seventh-day Adventist Church has exploded in growth, and we can praise God that 5,049,157 accessions theough baptism and profession of faith have taken place. But at the same time we lament the fact that in this same five year period 1,397,608 people have been dropped from church membership . That becomes a serious problem. Is it possible to reverse the church's high apostasy rate? And do we have any examples on a divisionwide basis in which there has been intentional approach on the part of the conferences, unions and divisions to reduce apostasy?"

Here are the top six reasons that church growth thinkers gave for people leaving the SDA church:

1.) Conflict with the pastor or another church member.

2.) Discouragement over personal problems.

3.) Lack of friends. Studies indicate that if you do not establish a set of new friends within the first year you are baptized, your likelihood of leaving increases.

4.) A weak Biblical faith. Studies also indicate that when people have a weak Biblical faith, when they do not understand what they are doing in joining a religious community of SDA's, they are likely to leave more quickly.

5.) The perception on the part of some that have joined a church that it is not relevant to thier needs.

6.) Lack of a house of worship.

You can read the full transcript of the preceedings on the Adventist Review website.

I was greatly disappointed that the one reason (which should have been first on the list) people apostasize was not listed or even addressed: Dispute over theology and doctrine. When was the last time these delegates visited a former Adventist website? By far, the main reason given for leaving by those very ones who have abandoned our faith is conflict over beliefs and doctrine, most notably the issue of Ellen G. White and her prophetic status . You could also list the sanctuary, the Sabbath and the Investigative Judgement doctrines as well. Some members simply do not believe she was inspired, or they question that some of our major doctrines are Biblical, so they leave for a mainline Evangelical church. Why was this not addressed??? :confused:

I think our chuch has really got its head in the sand on this issue. Do we really honestly believe that the majority of members leave because of a dispute with a pastor and not because of doctrine? We ignore the overhwelming evidence at our own peril. How can we take steps to deal with this issue if we won't even acknowledge it in the top six list? :doh:

Upvote 0

Adventtruth

God is the Gospel!
Sep 7, 2006
✟18,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Research on why members leave Seventh-day Adventist Church fellowship suggests that social and relational factors are much more significant than disagreement with denominational teachings.

This may have been true at one time, but no more. With the Advent of the internet, the dynamic has changed drastically.

And as long as the administration continues to delude themselves with the above false assurance in spite of the evidence, the real underlying problems and issues will never be properly addressed.
I guess I will comment on this. When I first read this I said to self...its all a bunch of head games. They know that if offical statements said it was doctrine then its highly possible that memebers would start wondering even more. Truth is there is a significant high number of formers who have left because of dictrine...the biggest one being 1844.

AT

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Very true Adventtruth. Of course, if you want to get an idea of where the Trad mindset is on this issue, you need not look any further than this forum for just how willfully ignorant they are of the issues surrounding those who have left:

So complain all you want to about the SDA church, but I think you are wrong. I think that you all just hated being so different from the main stream churches and embarrassed that our church was being so attacked and you didn't have a firm enough hold on the truth that you caved in and are now her greatest opponents.

This is how I see your constant rants and it's very sad. If you hate this church so much, then do as Sophia did and leave it. But why come back every day into our forum and bash and whine and complain? Do you think this is productive? Why do you spend ALL your time IN THIS FORUM bashing others, why aren't you in your baptist forums PRAISING yourselves for how much better you are than those horrid SDA's? (or perhaps you are -I wouldn't really know that now would I)

http://christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=42657822&postcount=19

They were to afraid of being different, so they left.

Yeah, that MUST be it. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
HTS...the attack mode is not a healthy mode to display. I suggest you kindly show your softer and gentle side. I'm just trying to help you out. Gal 6:1

AT
BWAAAA!!!!
4_1_219.gif

Upvote 0

JohnT

Oct 27, 2007
Finger Lakes, NY
✟19,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

AT

What? Remember Al Gore invented the Internet a long while back. :D

What is more recent than a study done in 2006, and adopted in 2007?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread also gives info on the subject:

http://christianforums.com/t6658473-frantic-damage-control-in-adventism.html

The report from the 2007 annual council suggests new issues.

Here are some figures from the 2007 Annual Council Secretary Report:

For the past five years we have reported to the Executive Committee the
very low retention rate of our membership. I am happy to report that there has
been a remarkable change in this area. While we were reporting a ratio of
accessions to losses around 45.03%, our records this year show a healthy figure
of 24.21%. This means, for every one hundred members added through baptism
and profession of faith, 24 left the church. I must hasten to indicate that those
who leave are not only the newly-baptized members.

http://news.adventist.org/specials/2...rys-report.pdf

Apparently the rate got worse after the 2005 GC, reaching about 45 percent. So far this year it is around 25 percent. However, not all of the data is in yet from what I could gather.

As Free noted elsewhere this does not include those who are still on the books at this time but have left.

Upvote 0

Adventtruth

God is the Gospel!
Sep 7, 2006
✟18,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Very true Adventtruth. Of course, if you want to get an idea of where the Trad mindset is on this issue, you need not look any further than this forum for just how willfully ignorant they are of the issues surrounding those who have left:

So complain all you want to about the SDA church, but I think you are wrong. I think that you all just hated being so different from the main stream churches and embarrassed that our church was being so attacked and you didn't have a firm enough hold on the truth that you caved in and are now her greatest opponents.

This is how I see your constant rants and it's very sad. If you hate this church so much, then do as Sophia did and leave it. But why come back every day into our forum and bash and whine and complain? Do you think this is productive? Why do you spend ALL your time IN THIS FORUM bashing others, why aren't you in your baptist forums PRAISING yourselves for how much better you are than those horrid SDA's? (or perhaps you are -I wouldn't really know that now would I)

http://christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=42657822&postcount=19

They were to afraid of being different, so they left.

Yeah, that MUST be it. :doh:

Yeah when I read her stuff It reminds me of those I knew while in SDAism who where new but thought they had the truth. It appears that she has bought into all of it hook line and sinker. They walk around church with those little red books but you never ever see them open them. Its a sure sign that they want to be seen and known as a Ellen night or little EG. These are the same people you see in pot luck sitting around a table with those who talk Adventist theology and at the same time put down those in the first day churches who reject the sabbath and the sanctuary doctrines. I'm on to her.:thumbsup:

AT

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the factors cited does center around beliefs. And the study previously quoted by RC shows that youth are not studying EGW. Night Chronicled the efforts to reverse this in this thread:

So the question needs to be asked, why are the youth NOT reading EGW material?

Also, why are they trying to shut down anti-EGW sites?

It appears that Night might not be far off. There is a crisis in members knowing the doctrine. The question is whether some are embarassed to teach it and relegate EGW to a closet. Or are the kids just to lazy to read her?

I would say in the case of the sanctuary and EGW it is likely some are not talking about her because they are embarrassed by the issues. But we don't really know. We need more studies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adventtruth

God is the Gospel!
Sep 7, 2006
✟18,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
One of the factors cited does center around beliefs. And the study previously quoted by RC shows that youth are not studying EGW. Night Chronicled the efforts to reverse this in this thread:

So the question needs to be asked, why are the youth NOT reading EGW material?

Also, why are they trying to shut down anti-EGW sites?

It appears that Night might not be far off. There is a crisis in members knowing the doctrine. The question is whether some are embarassed to teach it and relegate EGW to a closet. Or are the kids just to lazy to read her?

I would say in the case of the sanctuary and EGW it is likely some are not talking about her because they are embarrassed by the issues. But we don't really know. We need more studies.

Well in my experience as an Adventist it was well know that many of the young people where just not interested in what the Adventist church had to offer. Many even said they only came because parents made them come. Times have changed and kids are more stimulated by other things rather than a boring church service that focuses on the doctrines of an old lady from yester year. The songs where slow and old, the services bore you, the food is not fun, and most times they felt like they where restricted in what they could do. Many could not wait till the sun went down to enjoy life again. Frankly they felt like the church had nothing to offer them but a boring time. Many said the kids wanted to be worldly and carnal. That was not always the case. Some of the kids did know the doctrines but they where tired of the same old story. Many of them grew tired of the same of rehashed Dan and Rev seminors, All the Net programs where rehashed, and nothing was fun any more. Many of the young felt like they where trapped and sheltered. Some could not even go out and play with others who where not Adventist but lived on the same block, on the Sabbath. They have just become tired of the Adventist style of things. Its a no brainer why they leave when they come of age.

AT

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You've got a point Advent. I have noticed that the greatest rate of people leaving the church are the 20 to 30 range. Honestally if you follow EGW completely life would be very dull and boring. No art, no expression, no movies, no entertainment, no fiction ect.

Upvote 0

Avonia

Just look through the telescope . . .
Dec 13, 2007
✟9,313.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
You've got a point Advent. I have noticed that the greatest rate of people leaving the church are the 20 to 30 range. Honestally if you follow EGW completely life would be very dull and boring. No art, no expression, no movies, no entertainment, no fiction ect.

I understand your point. But remember the time she lived in. She was a wild woman in a lot of ways – in the best sense of the term. How interesting to know what her writings would be like if she was writing today.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.