Melchizedek

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So do you think Melchizedek is still alive?

:scratch:

The Book of Hebrews says that Melchizedek was the King of Peace and elsewhere in the bible it is said that Jesus is the Prince of Peace .... and Jesus said he got his teachings from his Father in heaven so if his father the king is in heaven when he is on earth ... then the answer is no ... yet ... yes , because Jesus lives, and this is our hope.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Abraham was a prophet Gen 20:7

He says he has spoken by them this way,

Hosea 12:10 I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions,
and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets,

Even in light of Hosea 12:10 it could be understood as far more evident for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest Heb 7:15 the law having shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things Heb 10:1 and, Christ being come an high priest of good things to come Heb 9:1

Even the new covenant in his blood

Gen 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God. (Mark 14:22-24)

Again,

The law having shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things Heb 10:1

Speaking of Jesus Christ the Apostle and High Priest of our profession Heb 3:1

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Melchizedek was made like unto the Son as he is "set forth" as a similitude and/or likeness of the one he is made to represent, even Christ (the high priest) of our profession (the law having shadow of) but not the very image of things. So not recording a genealogy in letters, whether of birth or death of him (who was before Abraham ) makes him perfect in that representative as of that priest to come (Christ, as high priest) who would be called after (to fill the shoes) of the order which was before Aaron (of men who serve as high priests (who die) and continue not as high priest by reason of death. Whereas the one in Melchizedek (the place of high priest even ) which Christ is made by an oath (is a priest for ever in that order) is an unchangeable one not made after the carnal commandment but an indestructable life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Chapter 7
1 For this "Melchizedek *1, king of Salem, priest of the Most High Elohim," the one meeting Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, "and blessing him;"
2 to whom also Abraham "divided a tenth from all," first being interpreted, king of righteousness; and then also king of Salem, which is, king of peace *2,
3 whose Father and mother are not written in the genealogies , nor the beginning of His days, nor the end of His life, but as the Son of Elohim, His priesthood remains forever .
4 Now behold how great this One was, to whom even the patriarch Abraham gave tithes and paid head tax;
5 For they of the sons of Levi who received the priesthood, were authorized by the Torah that they should take tithes from the people; even from their own brethren who also came out of the loins of Abraham4.
6 But this man, who is not recorded in their genealogies, took tithes from Abraham; and blessed him who had received the promise.
*1 Melchizedek is a title and an order, but not a personal name.
*2 Only Yahshua holds these titles and is clearly Melchizedek (Gen 14:17-20, Jer 23:5-6)

Hebrews 7:3

'Without father or mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, he remains a priest perpetually.'

Hmmmm
:)

If he's ---- the Son of God, then he did die bodily. :)
Yes, once for all, and then was resurrected never to die again.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Without reprinting everything already said - there is a belief among theologians and believers (the difference being who signs one's check) Melchizedek is a Christophany, a pre-Jesus appearance of the Second Person of the God Head; Christ (for short). I agree with this thinking. (I'm not going to justify my thinking, those who agree do so already and those who don't will not be moved by logical argument anyway.)

Therefore, the being that was once known as Melchizedek is still functioning and valid.

No, I don't think Melchizedek was a human and is still hiding in a cave somewhere in the Middle East. Or even moved to Florida.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, because Genesis 14:18 refers to him in the past tense, "He was priest of God Most High"
Just because one no longer does something, does not mean you are dead. Just because you are no longer here on earth, does not mean you are dead or died; Enoch, Elijah.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Pamalav said:
So do you think Melchizedek is still alive?
SeventyOne said:
No, because Genesis 14:18 refers to him in the past tense, "He was priest of God Most High"
In the King James translation, the word 'was' in verse 18 is in italics, meaning the translators added the word to smooth the English translation.

I cannot see where the translation is clearly meaning any one of three alternatives, all allowed by the wording.

"He was [at the time of the event] priest of ... "
"He was priest [and since retired] of ..."
"He was priest [and since died] of ..."

So the statement Melchizedek died is not directly there. Implication, perhaps. Since Melchizedek was alive and in communication with Abram during Abram's life, we can safely assume that IF Melchizedek was a reasonably normal human being (which would include not having access to a time machine) THEN he has expired since that time.

However, I've already stated my thoughts.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the King James translation, the word 'was' in verse 18 is in italics, meaning the translators added the word to smooth the English translation.

I cannot see where the translation is clearly meaning any one of three alternatives, all allowed by the wording.

So the statement Melchizedek died is not directly there. Implication, perhaps. Since Melchizedek was alive and in communication with Abram during Abram's life, we can safely assume that IF Melchizedek was a reasonably normal human being (which would include not having access to a time machine) THEN he has expired since that time.

I even love your attention to detail :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If he is like Jesus and died, then Jesus wouldn't have had to die. As Hebrews elaborates, only one perfect sacrifice was needed.

See the Scripture above. (and footnote)
There's NO contradiction with any Scripture
when Melchizedek IS Yeshua, is there ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Fireinfolding said:
I even love your attention to detail :oldthumbsup:
Thanks. Don't get too impulsive; I tend to be OCD about some facets of logic and communication; therefore annoying. But thanks just the same. I attempt to provide satisfaction.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. Don't get too impulsive; I tend to be OCD about some facets of logic and communication; therefore annoying. But thanks just the same. I attempt to provide satisfaction.

You will likely have a field day on me because I can be rather lackadaisical, my grammar and spelling stinks, and I could probably keep you busy in your OCD for quite awhile ^_^

God bless you

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's NO contradiction with any Scripture
when Melchizedek IS Yeshua, is there ?
Yes there is a conflict, Hebrews is quite clear that Yeshua died once for our sins. This was as the man Jesus, not as Melchizedek. If Melchizedek was a Christophany/the Son of God, he could not have died.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes there is a conflict, Hebrews is quite clear that Yeshua died once for our sins. This was as the man Jesus, not as Melchizedek. If Melchizedek was a Christophany/the Son of God, he could not have died.
Show me where the conflict is in Scripture.
What you said doesn't seem to relay what is written in Scripture.
i.e. Where is it written Melchizedek died ?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

Fair enough. I do think he was a man, and as a man, he is now gone. A special man to be sure, but just a man nonetheless.

Upvote 0