• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Melchizedek and adding 650 years to the genealogies in Genesis

Discussion in 'Exploring Christianity' started by JohnClay, May 22, 2019.

1. JohnClay

JohnClay Newbie Supporter

+71
    Australia
    Other Religion
    Married
    AU-Greens

See 12:02 for the differences in the genealogies. It involved 100 or 50 being added to some people which adds 650 years to calculations for the Flood and Creation. Melchizedek is said to be the reason for these changes.

Hebrews 7:3 "Melchizedek has no father or mother. He has no family line. His days have no beginning. His life has no end. He remains a priest forever. In this way, he is like the Son of God."

The video says that those who changed the manuscripts wanted people to think that Melchizedek is Shem.

Creationist organisations normally date the Flood at 2350 BC and about 4000 BC for Creation. I thought it was good to see the date of the Pyramids no longer conflicting with a date for the Flood though I don't believe in a global flood for non-Biblical reasons.

There are a few reasons why those extra 100 years should not be removed though every English version of the Bible I've looked at mentioned 30's instead of 130's. Are Christians concerned about this?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. sea5763

sea5763 Well-Known Member

+523
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    If I'm being honest I've never heard about what you're talking about before. I didn't really notice the passage about Hebrews 7:3. the older I get the less convinced I am of evolution of people coming from amoebas or something like that. I believe that God made everything. How He precisely did that I really don't know. Who knows, maybe evolution is a mechanism through which God made life, but I doubt it. I mean, the law of entropy means essentially chaos from order, not order from chaos. Their magic solution for it all is time. If enough time passes by then anything could happen. Maybe, but I'm skeptical. I don't believe that the earth is only 6000 years old, and I think thinking that came from somebody's rough guess or estimate or whatever. I used to be really skeptical of the flood, but I figured that there must be some truth to it because it's in the Bible and even Jesus references it. However, recently, they found a impact crater in Greenland called the Hiawatha crater. the findings are still controversial, some wonder if it is even really a crater from an asteroid impact. But some think it happened roughly 12000 years ago, and corresponds with some extinction events. also, very recently it has been estimated that the asteroid impact that wiped out the dinosaurs caused a worldwide tsunami. So although the hiawatha crater is considerably smaller than the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, maybe it could have caused flooding as well. Of course everything I'm saying is just a guess, but who knows.

City-size impact crater found under Greenland ice

Huge Global Tsunami Followed Dinosaur-Killing Asteroid Impact - Eos

3. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,248
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    That doesn't make a lot of sense since Melchezidek does not appear in any genealogies. He greetid Abraham on his return from the battle of the kings. Of tge spoils Abraham gave him 10%. Levi in effect paidthe tithes since he was still in Abraham, so to speak. Who he was exactly is unknow except he was king and priest of the Most High in Jerusalem. How you could mix him up with a discussion of OT genealogies is a mystery to me.

4. JohnClay

JohnClay Newbie Supporter

+71
    Australia
    Other Religion
    Married
    AU-Greens
    If he is Shem, as many ancient sources say, then he is in the genealogies - though that would contradict Hebrews 7:3.

If those ages in the genealogies weren't modified then Shem wouldn't have been alive in Abraham's lifetime.

Well it has to do with the tradition that Shem is Melchizedek so therefore he is part of the genealogies. I was wondering if you have a better theory as to why those ages became different (it seems to be a deliberate change rather than a copyist error)

5. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,248
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I did a little looking around and this is looking like something someone just made up. There is a Jewish tradition that thinks Shem is Melchizedek but your not going to get that from the text of Hebrews. This is most likely an Old Testament manifestation of Christ, otherwise a priesthood not based on genealogies. I've never understood the skeptics obsession with taking the obscure and building an argument but I don't see anything here worth addressing further.