Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Promoting* or proselytizing religious beliefs or religions (including Satanism or Occultism) other than Christianity is not allowed. For the purpose of these rules, Christianity is defined by Christian Forums' Statement of Faith which is found in the Sitewide Rules.
No one was promoting to ignore the Bible as a personal authority. It's just a statement of fact that the Bible is not any kind of legal authority, at least here in the US.

Thankfully!

Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

Abraxos

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.
Jan 12, 2016
New Zealand
✟69,315.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not sure what any of this has to do with my point that atheists kept quiet throughout most of history because up until recently, Christians had a knack for burning people that openly disagreed with their scriptures.
Just a quick history lesson for you as you got your facts backwards --- the inquisitions were about the authority of the theocratic establishment at the time; most saw the Bible as the authoritative word of God not the church and suffered for it. Even some Roman Catholics accepted the Bible and not the Bishops of Rome and got in trouble for it. The bulk of the inquisitions were focused on professing Christians and it was dangerous to even own just a piece of scripture.

Ok. I don't see courage or cowardice in terms of theist or not, but I guess you do. I see them more as just universal human characteristics that exist regardless of personal beliefs. Some people are brave, some are cowards, most people fall somewhere in between. Religion or not really has nothing to do with that. You're implication being that an atheist is a coward for not being willing to die for atheism but I don't see that as being a coward. I think it's flat out stupid if you are willing to die for a belief.
Well the Bible believing Christians that got tortured in the inquisitions I wouldn't consider cowards. People that would as soon throw their own grandma to the lions than die certainly have a knack for survival that's for sure.

Took them a while to come to see that worldview.
Well there is still a lot of work to be done, not that it concerns cowards that just go with the flow.

You know, I find that fascinating because statistically, you are much more likely to be wronged by someone who believes in some kind of God (probably your same God), just by the shear number of people who do.

Personally, I don't trust anyone outside my family and the few other people I know well. Theist or not, you shouldn't trust random people just because they belong to your same group.

Oh I don't take anything on here personal. I have very little confidence you know enough about evolution to try and explain atheism or theism from such a POV.
That's all fine and dandy, but at the end of the day, most people don't trust atheists because they are not honest people.

• Haha
Reactions: ZenMilitia
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,344.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That's all fine and dandy, but at the end of the day, most people don't trust atheists because they are not honest people.
Do you have any kind of proof for your assertions that atheists are more cowardly and/or dishonest than religious people?

And no, not wanting to die for something you don't believe in isn't cowardice. Christians wouldn't want to martyr themselves for a hindu cause, either, I reckon.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Just a quick history lesson for you as you got your facts backwards --- the inquisitions were about the authority of the theocratic establishment at the time; most saw the Bible as the authoritative word of God not the church and suffered for it. Even some Roman Catholics accepted the Bible and not the Bishops of Rome and got in trouble for it. The bulk of the inquisitions were focused on professing Christians and it was dangerous to even own just a piece of scripture.

Well the Bible believing Christians that got tortured in the inquisitions I wouldn't consider cowards. People that would as soon throw their own grandma to the lions than die certainly have a knack for survival that's for sure.

Well there is still a lot of work to be done, not that it concerns cowards that just go with the flow.

This post is just dripping with emotional distress coping mechanisms and logical fallacies.

Denial, rationalization, projection.

Strawmen and no true Scotsmen.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believed in God from the time I was a small child but I was not raised in a Christian home or in church. I didn't know what God's rules of morality and ethics were. But the home that I was raised in was very strict about things like lying, stealing, any kind of dishonesty and so I learned that I should always do my best to be an honest person if I wanted to be trusted. Trust brings great rewards even in this world.
So you see that a person who does not really know God or know His rules can still be taught by none Christians to be a honest person. It's only logical if one wants to be trusted they must be honest.
I can't imagine that most any intelligent person who wants to hold down a job, have close friendships, a loving marriage, be a worthwhile parent, etc. would choose not to be trusted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
God doesn't believe in atheists.
That's silly. God doesn't believe, he knows. Omniscient is supposedly a property of his and knowing everything means you don't need to hold to beliefs. You just know.

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Well now that you got all that off your chest and have thoroughly proven your superiority to atheists, I'm sure you feel much better.

None of that had anything to do with my simple point that atheists have mostly kept quiet about their disbelief for thousands of years because theists tend have a serious sensitivity to having their beliefs doubted by others.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Atheist doesn't exist.
Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke
This line of thought has led to some scientists claiming that “atheism is psychologically impossible because of the way humans think,” says Graham Lawton, an avowed atheist himself, writing in the New Scientist.
This is why it written "The fool hath said in his heart and not his head (since they keep shooting themselves in the head) There is no God."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Michele Obama was raised Methodist, her and her husband married in a UCC until leaving due to Rev. Wright's controversial remarks, but attended several different Protestant churches with her husband over the years including Baptist and Episcopal.

Both Laura and George W. are Methodist.

Hillary is Methodist.

Barbara Bush, like her husband Georg H. W. is Episcopalian.

Nancy Reagan, Presbyterian.

Rosalynn and Jimmy Carter, Baptist.

Betty Ford, Episcopalian.

And so on and so forth.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,508.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The President and First Lady who lived (and are still living) their faith most seamlessly are Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter. And even though their church, Maranatha Baptist, left the Southern Baptist Convention due to its close affiliation to the religious right, President Carter still teaches Bible Study there most of the year.

Melania Trump is the third wife of Donald Trump and got married in an Episcopal ceremony. They were reported as having attended church twice so far--on Christmas and Easter, at an Episcopal church in Florida. While she may have been baptized Catholic, she is not a currently practicing Catholic.

I am glad that Pope Francis was kind to her. He is empathetic and intuitive enough to realize that even people who seemingly have everything in the world can be suffering emotional pain, and in his kindness he attempted to offer her support and healing and welcome.

Upvote 0