Aug 18, 2012
✟1,388,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Megan did her father (and the nation) proud today. She spoke for many of us who miss the values her father embodied...

Key excerpts --

"Imagine the warrior the night of the skies gently carrying his little girl to bed. Imagine the dashing aviator who took his aircraft, hurdling off pitching decks in the South China Seas, kissing the hurt when I fell and skinned my knee. Imagine the distinguished states man who counseled presidents singing with his girl in oak creek during a rainstorm to singing in the rain. Imagine the senator fierce conscience of the nation's best self taking his 14-year-old daughter out of school because he believed I would learn more about America at the town halls he held across the country. Imagine the loyal veteran with his eyes shining with happiness as he gave blessing for his grown daughter's marriage."

"The America of John McCain is generous and welcoming and bold. she's resourceful, confident, secure. She meets her responsibilities. she speaks quietly because she's strong. America does not boast because she has no need to. The America of John McCain has no need to be made great again because America was always great. That fervent faith, that proven devotion, that abiding love, that is what drove my father from the fiery skies above the Red River delta to the brink of the presidency itself."

Dad, I love you, I always have. All that I am, all that I hope, all that I dream is grounded in what you taught me. You loved me and you showed me what love must be. An ancient Greek historian wrote "The image of great men is woven into the stuff of other men's lives." Dad, your greatness is woven into my life, it is woven into my mother's life, into my sister's life, and it is woven into my brothers' lives. It is woven into the life and liberty of the country you sacrificed so much to defend.

Dad, I know you were not perfect. We live in an era where we knock down old American heroes for all their imperfections when no leader wants to admit to fault or failure. You were an exception and gave us an ideal to strive for.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...ccain-eulogy-for-john-mccain-full-transcript/

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The America of John McCain has no need to be made great again because America was always great. That fervent faith, that proven devotion, that abiding love, that is what drove my father from the fiery skies above the Red River delta to the brink of the presidency itself."

Amen, Meghan!

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Uncle Mikey

Declare all that thou seest.
Supporter
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
✟10,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Isaiah 14:12-23
"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;

That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?

All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one in his own house.

But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet.

Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: the seed of evildoers shall never be renowned.

Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

For I will rise up against them, saith the LORD of hosts, and cut off from Babylon the name, and remnant, and son, and nephew, saith the LORD.

I will also make it a possession for the bittern, and pools of water: and I will sweep it with the besom of destruction, saith the LORD of hosts."

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm just glad Meghan, Bush, Obama and the rest there all got a chance to mourn......... losing to Donald Trump. May they finally get closure.

Oh and I'm sure they thought a little about McCain also.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How did they lose to Trump?

2016 election. They all campaigned against him. He won and is having spectacular success. News on the economy is fantastic. They're upset and used McCain's funeral as a platform to vent. I hope it gave them some peace, but it's a shame because Trump stole the spotlight. It should have been about McCain. Instead it was a petty hatefest.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,388,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"We needed this week to remember what dignity looks like, what reverence for America sounds like, what tears feel like when they fall softly for a life lived with courage, gratitude and honesty. Leaders are not always the ones who hold the highest positions. Leaders are those who, by example, show us what we are capable of being."
-Patti Davis

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...f7faa680710_story.html?utm_term=.f8681d0ed482

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟899,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2016 election. They all campaigned against him. He won and is having spectacular success. News on the economy is fantastic. They're upset and used McCain's funeral as a platform to vent. I hope it gave them some peace, but it's a shame because Trump stole the spotlight. It should have been about McCain. Instead it was a petty hatefest.
If you actually watched it and all you got out of it was a petty hate fest then I find that very sad. It was a very respectful and loving tribute to McCain by his family, friends, colleagues- some who were notable political opponents.

Trump's name was never mentioned, but the fact that it was so obvious that the references were calling out the current executive leadership as the antithesis of what makes America great is a reflection of Trump himself.

It was not hate in their words but deep concern for the divisive direction our nation has taken, and a call for uniting our leaders in bringing back bipartisan compromise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

Meghan, Bush, and Obama all ran against Trump in 2016? Give me some of that wacky Kool Aide you’re drinking! On second hand, no, keep it.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
McCain didn't run against Trump. And Trump was very horrible to McCain and all vets. Trump entered the White house, with a very good economy. And hopefully it stays that way. So America was all ready good. I don't see anything that John or his family did was bad. But from Trumps Twitter account and his own mouth. It's obviosity, that Trump is very hatful and does everything right . And tries to get his Twitters followers against everyone that speaks the truth about him, liberals and the media, that doesn't say everything he wants to here about himself.

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0