✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Meeting Elijah

I was walking to my first day on a job when I met a man in a wheelchair. He was large, his hands huge, likely from driving this awkward chair to and from places. His face squarish, and he had a large nose, tasseled gray, white and brown hair. Yet what I noticed first, what drew my eyes ,where those huge strong wrinkled hands. He stopped me and asked, “Could you take me to the end of this block,” pointing to side street.

As said this was my first day on the job and to do as he asked would make me late and that would not bode well for my continued employment. I also needed this job. All this played out in my head so I answered with the logical answer saying as much. I added I would find someone maybe in the store, of what parking we were in, who might be able to help him.

He kindly said, “No, no, that won't be necessary. That might make you late and I would not want any trouble coming from you helping me. Someone else is certain to come along.” he then made it clear I was off the hook as he said, “Enjoy your first day of work.” I thanked him an left him and walked a block, the short side of the block and turned to look back.

Now I hadn't walk so far that he could gone anywhere, the parking lot was large. Still I rushed back looking up that side street he'd wanted me to push him down, he wasn't there. Some people were exiting the store of that parking lot and I hurried to them and asked if they seen him describing him as I did. Though I was sure they pulled in as he was speaking to me, neither remembered seeing any large man in a wheel chair, only me.

That incident stayed with me for years. Then one day a rabbi was talking about Elijah visiting the world to see if the Messiah could come. We believe Elijah comes once in every generation to see if we are ready for the Messiah. So, when he said this I said impulsively, “I wonder if I met Elijah.” This led to him asking me to explain and the story above spilled out full of guilt.

I finished and he said, excitedly, “Elijah came to you! What a privilege!”

“But I blew it,” I stammered, “I didn't help him,” knowing now it was likely Elijah only made it worse. He tried to tell me this was a great honor but I would hear nothing of that. I blew it and I knew it. Then he changed his tactics and said, “And if you met someone today in similar circumstances would you do as you did then?”

“No,” I replied, “I know better now.”

He smiled and said, “See, I told you he blessed you!” I could not argue.

• Friendly
Reactions: dqhall