Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Then anyone who feels they are being followed would be able to claim self defense by turning around and throwing their follower to the ground and then grabbing the person's head and repeatedly beating it against the pavement. "Well, your honor, I did it to keep him from following me!"

For some photos of him that, once again, I can't post here because of the vulgarity, do a google image search of "Trayvon Martin gangsta". He seemed to like making himself out to be a rather aggressive person.

And we also know that he stopped, and then Martin decided to become an aggressor who did more than just follow Zimmerman.

Attempted murder is usually criminal.

oh my gosh....

4958251.jpg

What would you have said if Trump were to use the same terminology if a white kid was killed by a group of black kids? Would you not come to the conclusion that he was referring to the white kid based on his race in contrast to those who killed him?

Yes, of course Obama's comment had to do with race. I never said it didn't. What it wasn't was an attack on all white people.

Do you really not understand the difference between saying that you could be the victim of a racist and that everybody from the opposite race is a racist?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
oh my gosh....

4958251.jpg

Then you don't think attempted murder is a criminal action?

Yes, of course Obama's comment had to do with race. I never said it didn't. What it wasn't was an attack on all white people.

I never said it was an attack on all white people. I said he was using racism, and was being divisive that way.

Do you really not understand the difference between saying that you could be the victim of a racist and that everybody from the opposite race is a racist?

You're generalizing now. We're talking about a specific case.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's True
In 2000, Mike Pence publicly downplayed the risks of smoking cigarettes and stated "smoking doesn't kill."

What's False
Pence's point was that not everyone who smokes dies from smoking-related illnesses, and he acknowledged the health risks of smoking after referencing fairly accurate statistics about them.

What's the problem? Does everyone who smokes end up dying as a result?
Does Snopes qualify as legit for you?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Does Snopes qualify as legit for you?

And I ask again, "What's the problem? Does everyone who smokes end up dying as a result?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I ask again, "What's the problem? Does everyone who smokes end up dying as a result?
The question is what about my link? I don’t listen to Pence any more than I do Trump.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The question is what about my link? I don’t listen to Pence any more than I do Trump.

Then why post an article about something he said?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was responding to your complaint that Vox isn’t reliable sourcing.

.....The Vox article that cited what someone you don't listen to said, which was supposed to establish a point that you were about to make? I'm trying to figure out what your point is.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Then you don't think attempted murder is a criminal action?

Begging the Question : Department of Philosophy : Texas State University

I never said it was an attack on all white people. I said he was using racism, and was being divisive that way.

You gave it as an example of "divisive rhetoric against white people". Saying that anti-black racism exists isn't saying anything "against white people" and it shouldn't be considered divisive given that it's true. It's the rejection of facts that's divisive, not the acknowledgment of them.

You're generalizing now. We're talking about a specific case.

A case that doesn't substantiate your allegations.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Non sequitur.

You gave it as an example of "divisive rhetoric against white people". Saying that anti-black racism exists isn't saying anything "against white people" and it shouldn't be considered divisive given that it's true. It's the rejection of facts that's divisive, not the acknowledgment of them.

He wasn't simply saying it exists. He was trying to establish that racism was the reason Trayvon Martin was killed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Vox - Media Bias/Fact Check
Choose your sources better.

You do realize that there are literally dozens of sources that reported on him saying that right?

Also, I really wish that conservatives would stop intentionally conflating "bias" with "inaccuracy" and attempting to pretend the words and concepts are interchangeable.

A media outlet can be very bias but still accurate.

If a far-left or far-right source says "2+2=4", their leanings have no impact on the accuracy of their statement.

What's the problem?

He said something idiotic in order to try to downplay the risks of smoking. And when called out for it, said something even more idiotic to double-down:
In a debate that September, his Democratic opponent pressed him on the suggestion that smoking does not cause cancer and noted his contributions from tobacco companies. According to the Indianapolis Star’s coverage of the exchange, “Pence clarified that he wrote that there was no causal link medically identifying smoking as causing lung cancer.” While cigarette manufacturers might have been still claiming that there was not causal link between smoking and lung cancer, medical science had settled the question years earlier. A landmark report by the U.S. Surgeon General had documented the link — in 1964.

Only 3 possible reasons for that...
1) He's not so great when it comes to science (a few other reasons I may make that claim, but I won't touch those here on CF since it'd likely violate a few rules)
2) Pandering to the science denial crowd (a go-to tactic for republicans over the past few decades)
3) His family owned a large stake in a store chain called "Tobacco Road"

I'll let you pick which one of the 3 you'd like the VP to be. Unintelligent, Pandering to the unintelligent, or just a crook who has no problem downplaying the risks of tobacco for the betterment of his financial situation.

I'd say it's probably a splash of all 3 mixed together...

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
.....The Vox article that cited what someone you don't listen to said, which was supposed to establish a point that you were about to make? I'm trying to figure out what your point is.
You said Vox wasn’t a satisfactory source. I merely found another source for your consideration.

Upvote 0

LiberalChristian1980

Sep 20, 2018
Alexandria, VA
✟37,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
If that's true, then what would you glean from a white person commenting on a case where a black person killed a white kid, and the white person made the comment, "If I had a son, he would look like the kid the was killed".? Would you or would you not be tempted to play the race card?

Is there a national trend of young white men being killed — often by people with state-sanctioned authority — and those who kill them facing no consequences?

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Time will tell if that happens. I find it a little surprising that such ignorance didn't stop her from being elected. The fact that she could be elected while displaying such ignorance of the things she's suppose to be standing up for and representing underscores the idea that she was elected based on identity politics rather than real knowledge of the issues.
Oh, the sweet irony of this post.

Remind me if you can what Trump's area of expertise was prior to being elected?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LiberalChristian1980

Sep 20, 2018
Alexandria, VA
✟37,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Context. The Left refers to it as "dog whistle". He commented on the Trayvon Martin case in a way that showed exactly who's side he took, and he identifies that side by race--over and over and over again. Here's just a sample. Go to the website and you'll see that he continues like this for quite some time:

"And when you think about why, in the African American community at least, there’s a lot of pain around what happened here, I think it’s important to recognize that the African American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn’t go away.

There are very few African American men in this country who haven't had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store. That includes me. There are very few African American men who haven't had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars. That happens to me -- at least before I was a senator. There are very few African Americans who haven't had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off. That happens often.
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2013/07/19/remarks-president-trayvon-martin

Again, the context of this discussion is the fairly constant drumbeat of African Americans dying during interactions with police or, in the case of Zimmerman, self-appointed vigilantes.

You seem to refuse to accept that the African American experience of America is very different than yours, but equally valid, and equally worthy of having its problems addressed. The presumption of guilt, criminality or intent towards violence towards African American men in our culture is a damaging, often life-ending problem. The President was trying to address that problem and explain it to people who don't have a contextual understanding of it.

Upvote 0

LiberalChristian1980

Sep 20, 2018
Alexandria, VA
✟37,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps. But that doesn't make it any less entertaining to note how the Left criticized Palin so much, and are currently doing the same with Trump, and now they elect AOC and portray her as some kind of saviour of their political party. As another member here once said, she's the gift that (hopefully) keeps on giving.

"The Left" didn't elect Rep. Ocasio-Cortez. She won a primary in on district out of 435. A fraction of a percentage of Democrats had any role in making her an elected official. Meanwhile, the Republican Party as a corporate whole put Palin and Trump on its national ticket.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

LiberalChristian1980

Sep 20, 2018
Alexandria, VA
✟37,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Regarding the broader topic of this thread: Americans from different backgrounds have very different experiences regarding what it means to be an American. They face different challenges and their communities have very different problems that need to be addressed. And while it is possible for someone not from those communities to recognize and work to fix those problems, having people who have shared your experience and innately understand the context of your lives is immensely valuable.

That's why it's a good thing that our Congress is looking more like America at large — it means that a larger swath of the different types of American experience are likely to be recognized and responded to by the Congress.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Non sequitur.

It's not a non sequitur. By assuming Martin's actions constituted attempted murder, you were guilty of begging the question. That's why I posted the link.

He wasn't simply saying it exists. He was trying to establish that racism was the reason Trayvon Martin was killed.

Which still isn't a divisive comment "against white people".

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is there a national trend of young white men being killed — often by people with state-sanctioned authority — and those who kill them facing no consequences?

Yes, there is.
Now, would you like to try answering the question I asked that you quoted?

Upvote 0