• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,217.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
imho, is not the solution, i tried once, i felt weird, i think depression is part of being a person, and we need to try fix it alleviating what makes us sad, God can help us.
Also there is a long list of side effects etc.

Cypress88
Cypress88
Depression is part of the human condition yes. So are many other physical and mental conditions. Doesn't mean we should just have to live with them. I don't mean to sound snappy. I'm just struggling.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟96,301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The problem with medication is that we can become dependent on it to function normally. I know some people that have been on meds for years and when they go off them they can't cope with life at all because they have never grown or matured by dealing with their personal issues which caused the depression in the first place. Sometimes the best solution to depression is to detach yourself from the emotional stresses & demands of life or whatever it is that is causing the depression and let your mind & emotions heal naturally, easily said than done I know as it can sometimes take years for you to recover from depression, but you will understand yourself better from it. I myself have battled depression for years and I found complete rest was the best solution and just let my mind heal. If you learn to let go of your deepest thoughts they will start to flow naturally and you can process them, it's both an exhilarating and painful experience at the same time, but wonderfully liberating. Don't be frightened to spend some quiet time with yourself and your thoughts no matter how sad or frightening that may be, you can work through it and come out the other end a lot stronger and wiser. Sometimes we suffer from depression because we are living the wrong life and not being true to ourselves and growing spiritually. I hope I am making sense to you?

I don't know your situation so maybe taking medication short term might be alright and maybe worth a try, but I wouldn't take them for longer than 3 months. It's good that you came here to ask for advice and I hope you are able to make a sound decision in your best interests.

May God give you courage, healing and insight,

Victor.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If one is able to deal with their condition through other methods, then its probably best to try and avoid taking meds as much as possible, since they can bring about some side effects ( both short & long term ) which can even cause more harm than good. I'd see a psychiatrist.

Probably engage in self management programmes for people with depression, where one is looking at things like setting out personal recovery goals, identifying what their triggers are and avoiding them as much as possible, including any unhealthy habits such as substance & alcohol misuse.

I'd seriously consider forming healthy habits like exercise, having a healthy balanced diet, building healthy relationships & more of God's word and maintaining a healthy prayer life just to mention a few.

Upvote 0

look4hope

Love.Fellowship.Joy
Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟382,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
trying alternative methods that do not involve medications, is best to do first. If you’re out of options, as an adult...you shall try what ever helps your daily life.
There are major risk factors of course if you become dependent on meds.

Seeking professional advice would have been my next line but, I’ve had a very bad experience with that so I will recommend being ALERT AND CAUTIOUS when accepting help from a doctor that goes straight to prescribing you medication.

Research, follow your gut, your head, and your heart last.

All the best,
L4H

Upvote 0

Taylorz27

Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2021
Leduc
✟96,173.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I would seek advice from a doctor who has knowledge and be very cautious if they are quick to prescribe med's. I have had some doctors just write me prescriptions and over medicate me that it was hard to function.

I believe that meds can help some people it can be hard to find the right one. I think a doctor who takes the time to get to know you can be helpful for you.

God Bless

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's hard to say.

I have been on several anti-depressants in my life. The first time I went on it, I did it because I had trouble getting over my ex-boyfriend. I didn't know I could ask God for help. I lacked advice. So I was convinced that taking anti-depressants was going to fix it. After I went off of them, I experienced negative mental problems like paranoia, intrusive thoughts, OCD, etc. that still affect me to this day.

• Prayers
Reactions: Paulus59
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ultimately the question needs to be between the individual and their doctor.

But it is worth noting that medication can be a double-edged sword. I have been on medication for over a decade now, and I can say with 100% confidence that it has drastically improved my quality of life. I can function normally day-to-day, something I had a hard time struggling with before I was put on medication. Because it very much was a medical issue, it is a chemical imbalance in the brain.

The double-edge of the sword is that I am dependent on them now. If I go without, withdrawal symptoms will set in after a few days. And those are absolutely miserable.

So that's something to talk about with your doctor. But that's the biggest point: This is something to be discussed with a medical professional, they alone can give you proper medical advice.

-CryptoLutheran

• Prayers
Reactions: Paulus59
Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Often, the wrong ones for any individual get prescribed to them. Or occasionally, the right one in the wrong dose.
In my observation one is severely disapproved of - or regarded as having committed an offence - if one reports side effects.

I have known good ones for me. They might not be available any more.

Upvote 0