• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I have mentioned in previous posts, I tried tapering off meds for a few reasons.

I was doing ok for a while. Actually, it was kind of refreshing, but over time, the anxiety chipped away and the past week or so, I have found my thinking reverting. I was really gung-ho (when still on meds), that I could somehow muster up the strength to fight this monster head on. My reasoning (while still on meds), was that the harder the ocd presented itself, the better the chance for "victory."

This was the problem of feeling well enough to "get serious." Getting serious could have meant, "hey I feel well, let's do therapy," not "maximal therapy will be achieved through maximal exposure that will naturally result from being off meds."

Being off meds hasn't been the living nightmare that I experienced right before needing to take them the first time (when I didn't even know I had ocd), but I've found myself in that pattern of thinking that is familiar, yet I had forgotten.

I started to run from it again. That's the bottom line. I regretted the exposure therapy and that I had deliberately thought those horrible thoughts on purpose. I was stuck on this all afternoon yesterday. Sure, I could function, but what a lousy quality of life.

It was worth a try and gave me good insight. I learned how "physical" this issue is. I would have symptoms of anxiety and depression in the absence of the thoughts. This, I believe, shed light on the theory that the restless energy of anxiety will actually cause us to seek out a perceived danger in order to make sense of why we feel threatened. What better place than our faith for this restless creature to latch on?

I haven't reached that point of difficult return, and have begun my meds, and will gradually (God willing, patiently) taper up to maybe a lower dose than before.

If I am to take seriously, the words of our Lord Jesus, "be anxious for nothing," then I had better give myself a fighting chance.

My philosophy is changing. I am taking the medication not to be rid of the ocd (that is not likely), but so that ocd does not define me, nor dictate the terms of my relationship with God.

Thank you all for your continued support. I think of you and pray for you often.

Marc

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Glad you are back on your meds. I wouldn't think of going off of mine.

You will get to where you were before, Marc. When I had relapses during my therapy time, I often thought that "all was lost", but not so. When I got back on track, I saw even more improvements.
The meds help you stay on track. They are a blessing to your recovery.

Take care :hug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.