Visit site
✟1,505,465.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Personally I've found Ignatian-style (imaginative) meditation allows for genuinely transformative encounter with God.

Now strictly speaking that's a discipline the Catholics developed, but it's not really polite for Orthodox members to come and lecture Anglicans about what we're doing wrong in our own forum, is it?

Upvote 0

God's Child

Psalm 23
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2006
✟135,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
9RjrrYO.jpg

This thread has undergone a cleanup. If you noticed a post of your missing it was removed in the cleanup. Please remember members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of this faith group may not teach and debate here. Please keep the rules in mind when posting. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Admin Hat Off

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Personally I've found Ignatian-style (imaginative) meditation allows for genuinely transformative encounter with God.

Now strictly speaking that's a discipline the Catholics developed, but it's not really polite for Orthodox members to come and lecture Anglicans about what we're doing wrong in our own forum, is it?

There was a comment above remarking that Centering Prayer does not involve emptying the mind. This may be correct. I was taught to sit in God's presence: God is the focus of the meditation. I do not know how uniform this approach to centering prayer is.

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I found in the past that centering prayer causes me too much anxiety to practice alone or regularly as do short repetitive mantra like prayers. I have to design my own prayers with a similar rhythm as the Rosary with different prayers breaking the monotony of the rhythm or it really affects my mind adversely, so I do use a Rosary but only in the way stated.

I find that since I most often must recite it privately the Daily Office is a meditation experience in my case. Some part of it catches my attention and I find myself without trying pondering that one bit for the rest of the Office or even subsequent Offices.

Sometimes after the Office I find myself simply sitting in silence.

Upvote 0

raschau

homo viator
Apr 15, 2017
SW Indiana
✟32,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Reformed theologian Emil Brunner had this to say:

There is, of course, a form of prayer which has in it nothing offensive to reason, namely meditation, quietism and contemplative absorption. To lose oneself in the divine mystery, to give oneself up to the feeling of reverence in the presence of the Inscrutable, the truth above all truths, the Being above all beings, the Ground and Abyss of all being, is an act which seems reasonable to thought. For this reason the “withdrawal of the intention of the One which never comes to our natural sight but must be conjured up with effort” appears as “recollection of the Spirit and turning inward of the same upon itself.” (Fichte). We need such moments of studied detachment from the distraction of sensuous life, in order to bring home the eternal truth to ourselves and to recollect ourselves.

Upvote 0