✟8,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Scripture meditation ~ November 2, 2018:

I try to study and meditate on at least one Chapter a day, usually in the morning [Psalm 5:3] - although distractions to which I am particularly vulnerable abound.
Sometimes I get sidetracked and miss it; other days I'll get inspired and go 5 or 6 chapters.
Given my short attention span and high distractibility however, that's about the best I can manage at my current state of senility before my mind spins off of the turntable and flies off on a tangent.

Lately our Church has been teaching and preaching on the Book of Revelation (how many churches still do that?) so my readings are following along accordingly.

This morning we're up to Ch. 20.

From the 1599 edition of the "Pilgrims Bible" - AKA "Geneva".
(The Aulde English takes a little getting used to; they used "v" and "i" where the later King James usually translated them as "u" and "j".
You ought to try reading it in the original type fonts!):

"12. And I saw the dead, both great and small stand before God: and the bookes were opened, and another booke was opened, which is the booke of life, and the dead were iudged of those thinges, which were written in the bookes, according to their woorkes.
13. And the sea gaue vp her dead, which were in her, and death and hell deliuered vp the dead, which were in them: and they were iudged euery man according to their woorkes.
14. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire: this is the second death.
15. And whosoeuer was not found written in the booke of life, was cast into the lake of fire. ..."

Now wait just a hog-tied minute here!;

Don't we Christians believe that salvation is by faith and not by "woorkes"? [Gal. 2:16]
Galatians 2:16 (KJV)

...yet it seems that according to Revelation, we will be entered into the "Book of Life" and judged accordingly before the Great White Throne on the basis of those "works".

So which is it, Faith Family; are we saved / judged by faith...
... or by works?

Now digging a little deeper into Britt Hadasha (New Testament, which to most Jews is utter heresy and hogwash) we find at least one Apostle who posits that it is actually a synthesis of both.
St. Paul goes into that quite a bit if you study him much at all (Romans is a good place to start), and St. James at least mentions it: James 2:24 (KJV)

Theologians in the Middle Ages tell us Protestants to believe in the "Solas" or singular, exclusive virtues like "Sola Scriptura" or The Word (Bible) alone; same thing for Faith and Grace to name a few.
Of course there are those who take issue with their old fashioned perspective, but they probably made some pretty good points.

I suppose we might say that the Orthodox Jew (and some hard core Messianics, it seems) believe in and live by "Sola Torah", or the Law, for all intents and purposes, alone.

Now I didn't mean to rile folks up (although I have a propensity for doing that) but perhaps gin up some thought, reflection and contemplation on the Word, hopefully under the tutelage of Ruach H'Q'Desh (The Holy Spirit).

So let me leave you with this blessing:

When all is said and done, may we be found written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

A'main.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Scripture meditation ~ November 2, 2018:

I try to study and meditate on at least one Chapter a day, usually in the morning [Psalm 5:3] - although distractions to which I am particularly vulnerable abound.
Sometimes I get sidetracked and miss it; other days I'll get inspired and go 5 or 6 chapters.
Given my short attention span and high distractibility however, that's about the best I can manage at my current state of senility before my mind spins off of the turntable and flies off on a tangent.

Lately our Church has been teaching and preaching on the Book of Revelation (how many churches still do that?) so my readings are following along accordingly.

This morning we're up to Ch. 20.

From the 1599 edition of the "Pilgrims Bible" - AKA "Geneva".
(The Aulde English takes a little getting used to; they used "v" and "i" where the later King James usually translated them as "u" and "j".
You ought to try reading it in the original type fonts!):

"12. And I saw the dead, both great and small stand before God: and the bookes were opened, and another booke was opened, which is the booke of life, and the dead were iudged of those thinges, which were written in the bookes, according to their woorkes.
13. And the sea gaue vp her dead, which were in her, and death and hell deliuered vp the dead, which were in them: and they were iudged euery man according to their woorkes.
14. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire: this is the second death.
15. And whosoeuer was not found written in the booke of life, was cast into the lake of fire. ..."

Now wait just a hog-tied minute here!;

Don't we Christians believe that salvation is by faith and not by "woorkes"? [Gal. 2:16]
Galatians 2:16 (KJV)

...yet it seems that according to Revelation, we will be entered into the "Book of Life" and judged accordingly before the Great White Throne on the basis of those "works".

So which is it, Faith Family; are we saved / judged by faith...
... or by works?

Now digging a little deeper into Britt Hadasha (New Testament, which to most Jews is utter heresy and hogwash) we find at least one Apostle who posits that it is actually a synthesis of both.
St. Paul goes into that quite a bit if you study him much at all (Romans is a good place to start), and St. James at least mentions it: James 2:24 (KJV)

Theologians in the Middle Ages tell us Protestants to believe in the "Solas" or singular, exclusive virtues like "Sola Scriptura" or The Word (Bible) alone; same thing for Faith and Grace to name a few.
Of course there are those who take issue with their old fashioned perspective, but they probably made some pretty good points.

I suppose we might say that the Orthodox Jew (and some hard core Messianics, it seems) believe in and live by "Sola Torah", or the Law, for all intents and purposes, alone.

Now I didn't mean to rile folks up (although I have a propensity for doing that) but perhaps gin up some thought, reflection and contemplation on the Word, hopefully under the tutelage of Ruach H'Q'Desh (The Holy Spirit).

So let me leave you with this blessing:

When all is said and done, may we be found written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

A'main.

It is the Christian faith, and has been since the beginning, that we must cooperate with grace to attain salvation. The idea of "faith alone" is directly refuted by St. James.

No one had ever heard of such an idea until the 15th century. This is going to stir up a lot of strife with my protestant friends here, but let the games begin. :)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello and welcome to CF
I believe the commentary puts forth a great theses on the Book of the Life of the Lamb.

Genesis 1:1 (NKJV)
"book of life"
occurs 8 times in 8 verses in the NKJV.

The phrase "Book of Life used in only 1 verse outside of Revelation of the NT:

Phl 4:3

And[fn] I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life.

Kindgdom Bible Studies Lambs Book of Life Part 1

*SNIP*

Like many of the sweetest passages in the New Testament, the inspiration of this one is derived from the Old. References to the Book of Life are to be found in various parts of the Hebrew scriptures. In the second book of the Bible, Exodus, we read how the children of Israel had sinned grievously.

While Moses was on Mt. Sinai receiving instructions from God, the Israelites made a golden calf and began to worship it. When Moses returned, he was shocked at what he saw. He knew God would be well within both His holiness and His justice to wipe out the entire sinful nation! But Moses begged God to forgive Israel: "Then Moses returned to the Lord and said, Oh, these people have sinned a great sin, and have made for themselves a god of gold! Yet now, if You will forgive their sin – but if not, I pray, blot me out of Your book which You have written" (Ex. 32:31-32).
Moses boldly approached the Lord God, asking to have his own name blotted out of God's "book" if God would not forgive Israel their sin of idolatry!

Bible alludes to this "book" – the Book of Life – on only a few occasions. But the Book of Life does exist, and it is vitally important to every son of God! Having one's name in the Book of Life is so important that Moses used this as a kind of bargaining point with God for Israel.

What is this book? Why would the all-knowing God need it? Is it like some spiritual computer system, containing the names of God's people? Is your name now written in it? How can you know? And if your name is there, what is the risk of it actually being blotted out, as Moses asked for his name to be if God would not forgive Israel?

........ Now, what is meant by this term – THE BOOK OF THE LIFE OF THE LAMB? The wise man said, "...of the making of many books there is no end..." (Eccl. 12:12).

The book stores are filled to overflowing today with all types of books dealing with every aspect of earthly life. Even in the church world there are books setting forth every kind of viewpoint relating to God, the Bible, doctrine, Christian experience, and church order. However the subject material of most of these books largely contains a message of religious tradition and spiritual death..........

How pitiful that the people of earth for the most part have never read this beautiful epistle of Christ, this glorious BOOK OF THE LIFE OF THE LAMB. They have poured over the books of religion, the books of man's theology, the books of hypocrisy, the books of fleshly wisdom, forms of godliness, dead doctrines, static creeds, empty rituals and ceremonies, and man-made rules and regulations.
But precious few have ever seen THE BOOK OF THE LIFE OF THE LAMB! Oh! What a wonderful gospel shall fill the earth beneath and the celestial realms above when God opens His holy Book of Life! The Book of Life is that blessed company of the sons of God, elect, chosen and transformed into the image of Christ throughout the ages.

This Book is being carefully written word by word, sentence by sentence, paragraph by paragraph, page by page, and chapter by chapter in the nitty-gritty of our daily experience with God until the full revelation of the Christ shall be set forth therein. Time's clock is striking the hour and the time is drawing wonderfully nigh for the manifestation of the sons of God, the opening of God's Book of Life People, and what a manifestation it shall be! All creation from time immemorial has groaned and travailed for the manifestation of God's sons, to deliver creation at last from the bondage of corruption.

Upvote 0