EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Bible Reading: Judges 1-6
Verse of the day: "Joshua left those nations to test Israel. I wanted to see whether or not the people would walk faightully in the path marked out by the Lord, as their ancestors were careful to do." (Judges 2:22)

Questions:
  • Who are those unconquered nations?
    The unconquered nations were the various inhabitants of Canaan described in Judges 1: the Jebusites, the Luzites, the people of Beth Shan, Taanach, Gezer, Kitron, Sidon, etc. These people were still inhabiting the Promised Land at the time of Joshua's death, and God had instructed the tribe of Judah to lead Israel to conquer the cities and drive its people out. But the men of Judah didn't obey the Lord and invited Simeon to go along with them in their charge (1:3). While we are not told Judah's motives in bringing Simeon into their battle, the narrative implicitly condemns their lack of trust in God's ability to deliver their enemies into their hands, and this typifies the later pattern of Israel's "adultery" as they continually try to ally themselves with other nations instead of trusting their God in times of trouble (Isaiah 30:2, Ezekiel 17:3-10).

As a result of this disobedience, the Lord did not remove any more of the nations, and Israel failed to completely conquer the Promised Land (Judges 1:9-36; 2:21)

• Why did the Lord allow them to remain unconquered and didn't immediately deliver them to Joshua?
    The Lord wanted to test the Israelites to see if they would remain faithful to the Lord's instructions in the face of overwhelming opposition, and trusting only in Him (Exodus 20:3) instead of their own understanding.

Today, most of us don't have to literally fight against an army of nations, but we are called to stand against "principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (Ephisians 6:12)

Sometimes, we find ourselves wondering why God doesn't just remove our sinful habits and desires upon our conversion, remaking us into "a new creation" who delights only in worshiping Him and obeying His commands. But in doing so, we demand that God remove our obstacles and the need to struggle to walk in the narrow way, and this reflects how shallow our love is for God: that we are unwilling to come to Him unless the path is easy, that He is worth the effort.

• Why does God need to test the people in this manner?
    In fact, God's trials elevate our humanity, to reveal us as the beares of His glorious image. Mankind is distinguished from animals by our capacity to make moral choices, i.e. to choose what is "right" even when it goes against our natural inclinations (instincts) to satisfy our immediate needs and desires. It calls us to live a life that transcends the "easy" path of pragmatism.

Reflections:
  • What are the remaining sins in my life that has yet to be conquered?
  • Do I make the effort to resist their influence, or have I allowed them to overtake our lives?