Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @JK2021, yes, there is meditation in Christianity, but Christian meditation is VERY different from the Eastern/Transcendental style of mediation, just FYI. For instance, Christian meditation is a mind-filling, rather that a mind-emptying practice. In fact, Christian mediation always begins and ends with the word of God. As the Bible says,

Joshua 1
8 This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.

Psalms 1
1 How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers.

Psalms 119
15 I will meditate on Thy precepts,
And regard Thy ways.
16 I shall delight in Thy statutes;
I shall not forget Thy word.

God bless you!

--David
p.s. - here are links to a couple of articles that you may find to be helpful (with links to additional articles about meditation at the bottom of the GotQuestions article/link #2 below).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Is there meditation in Christianity?
The Judeo roots of Christianity involved meditation, but it always involved the words and works of God. It was often accompanied by audible recitation. This is seen by the Hebrew meaning of the word translated meditate in our Bibles.
Paul, the 'Hebrew of Hebrews' (Philippians 3:5), knew this well. We see him constantly exhorting the church to think and set their minds on God's Word and His works.

• Winner
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here's a recent article that talks about "chewing the cud" (there are a number of them available on the Internet), which I believe is one of the best analogies for understanding Christian meditation, so I thought that I'd post it here as well (though I believe that both of the linked articles in my last post talk about it as well).

Meditating – Chew and Cud

How will you look to change by the end of 2029, one decade from now? What will form you for good or for bad? What practice might you embrace that will affect the trajectory of the decade ahead?

As I have thought back on my decades as an adult, one practice stands above others in its effect on my life; the practice of meditating on Scripture. I wish I could remember the source that inspired me to begin the discipline. Though I have been far from consistent over the years, I find that I return time and again to the practice. Meditating on Scripture shapes thoughts, perspectives, actions, habits. It molds us in invisible ways far beneath the surface. The author of the book of Hebrews captures this perfectly when he says, “The Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any two-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12) In other words, it seeps into the essence of our DNA. No other book approximates its power!

Meditation has mixed connotations in our day. I picture a person repeating a mantra, attempting to empty their mind of all thought. The biblical practice of meditating is not the same as the widespread practice these days of mindfulness. To meditate in the original Hebrew language of the Old Testament means “to mutter, to ruminate.” Two images arise. The first is of a person who is walking around muttering under their breath as if he cannot stop obsessing over a thought. The second is the image of a cow chewing its cud. The idea is chewed, swallowed, regurgitated, chewed again, and swallowed until it is thoroughly absorbed. Meditating is the practice of muttering and ruminating (chewing the cud) on Scripture. It is the most complete form of internalizing God’s Word.

These two pictures, muttering and ruminating, give us quite a different way of approaching the Bible. Far from a quick read of a chapter a day, meditating chooses deep over wide. While there is immense value in gaining a broad overview of the stories and themes of Scripture, meditating balances this with the life-altering benefit of making Scripture infuse our very being. Psalm 1 captures the value when it says that for the one who meditates of Scripture, “whatever he does prospers.”

Imagine the impact a decade of meditating on Scripture would have on your life. Start small by taking a favorite passage from the Bible and lingering with it. If you want a suggestion of where to begin, try Matthew 11:28-30. Chew on it. Journal about it. Visualize it. What does it mean? What difference would it make if you believed it completely? Come back to the same passage the next day and the day after until it takes deep root. Live with it until it becomes a part of you. One passage, fully believed, can change your life forever. This is the power of meditating on Scripture.
~Meditating – Chew and Cud – Tommy Thompson

--David

*I would add the memorization of God's word along with Christian meditation as, "the most complete form of internalizing God's word". These two Christian disciplines go hand-in-hand with one another.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,050.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've got a small book called "A Guide to Christian Meditation" by Fr. John Bartunek. I'd forgotten I even had it until I was digging around in a bookshelf.

He included a passage on "Types of Prayer" viz....

The (Catholic) Catechism points out three basic types of personal prayer ... : vocal, meditative, and contemplative, all of which have a place in the life of every Christian.

VOCAL PRAYER - Vocal prayer consists in reciting read-made prayers, either silently or aloud, uniting the intention of your heart to the meaning of the words. ... All Christians should have their favourite vocal prayers ... the ones they can go back to in moments of dryness, sickness, or difficulty...

MEDITATIVE PRAYER - Meditative prayer is less formulaic. It consists in lifting the heart and mind to God through focused reflection on some truth of God's revelation. It involves the intellect, the memory, the emotions - the whole person....

Reflecting on the sufferings of Christ during his crucifixion may move your heart to expressions of humility, repentance or sorrow. The essence of Christian meditation is this exchange between God and soul; this intimate conversation can take an infinite variety of forms...

CONTEMPLATIVE PRAYER - Contemplative prayer consists of a more passive (and more sublime) experience of God. If meditation is the the soul's inspired quest to discover God, contemplation is God's lifting of the soul into Himself, so that it effortlessly basks in the divine light. It is the soul's silent gazing upon the grandeur of God.

Often meditation leads to contemplation - the line of demarcation is hazy. When you find yourself lifted into silent contemplation during your meditation, there is no need to fear. The practice of Christian meditation gradually purifies the heart and familiarises it with the voice and the ways of God so that, little by little, the soul is made more docile to the promptings of God and God can reveal Himself more and more completely ...

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is there meditation in Christianity?
No. There is meditating [thinking] on scripture. Meditation in its Eastern form is the repeting of words or sounds. Jesus Christ of Nazareth warned us not to do this as He identified it as a Pagan form of prayer. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No. There is meditating [thinking] on scripture. Meditation in its Eastern form is the repeting of words or sounds. Jesus Christ of Nazareth warned us not to do this as He identified it as a Pagan form of prayer. Be blessed.
I agree with you about that. The use of the word "meditation" will most often make whoever hears it think of the various practices of Eastern religions. But if we take a closer look at meditation as referred to in posts #5 and 8, we see that something entirely different is being described by use of that same word.

Thinking about God, recalling the major events in the life of Christ, and spending some quiet time contemplating the details there isn't wrong. However, without a long explanation of the differences, it might be a good policy not to say "yes" if someone asks about Christianity and meditation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums