Medical examiner: George Floyd had 'fatal level of fentanyl' in his system, but is 'not saying...

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You can try your murderous attitudes elsewhere in Christian Forums but in OBOB you have to at least respect the sensibilities of your Catholic hosts and not write 'Let um die!'. You have the rest of Christian Forums to try that out. Capisce?
The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. Nice quote! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. Nice quote! :oldthumbsup:
It comes from an old Latin saying 'Magna est veritas et praevalebit' as interpreted by Flannery O'Connor's sometimes dry wit.

I'm presuming you are over your desire to see people die. I trust it was only a momentary lapse on your part.

Reactions: Running2win
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's the job of paramedics to do this stuff...
Police has their hands full...
When I talked with an officer about this, he did not say this. I said something like, I understand you officers have CPR training so you could know to check his carotid and give him CPR. He did not deny that, but said that would be taken care in the investigation. The context would be if those officers did have training they could have used > even if generally other officers don't, if they did then they could be held liable for not using it. So, it is not relevant if it is reasonable to expect this . . . if those particular officers did have training.

And I do not have ready sources to verify about this about what is generally given officers for training or about those particular officers.

But I do know that nonprofessionals are now being taught how to do CPR and how to detect overdose symptoms and give Narcan. This is common knowledge where I am, in Massachusetts.

Plus, I have been medically trained, and the things which could have saved George's life are more basic CPR things . . . checking his carotid pulse, for one thing > this is part of basic CPR procedure and capability. And in my town officers apparently carry a tank of oxygen, since they are the first to get to a scene. Even minutes later, an ambulance crew could be too late.

I just looked this up > according to the link below, there is more to this, than either of us have considered, I would say > EMT's might arrive after six minutes which is the time it takes for a CPR patient to have brain damage and not long to die after that, if I understand right. And if police know medical aid, this can help them understand how to work as a team at a scene with EMT's. But there are issues about funding and the time it takes for an officer to be away from paroling while in training.

Do police officers need to know CPR?

And since I have identified with being in the medical field because of my tendency to have compassion for people, I can fail to realize that someone who is ready to use a gun to kill someone might not have my mindset for making the assumptions I can make :) I don't see officers as mainly for law enforcement, but as the most highly trusted professionals we have because of how they can be the first into a situation where someone is isolated, vulnerable, and in very great need. Therefore, I have been quite puzzled at how officers can be known for being frustrated and even suicidal . . . even though so many people greatly appreciate how officers have helped them in very desperate situations. I would think an officer could feed off of how he or she has been able to help such desperately needy people, at times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
He was saying he couldn't breathe while they were trying to put him in the car - before any sort of scuffle or restraint. He was having a fentanyl problem early on.
Well, having a knee on your neck for 10 minutes does not exactly improve the situation.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, it may not be the most popular view in town, but my take on it is this:

I see a lot of blame being placed here; blame on the cops, blame on the training, blame on the system, blame on racism, blame on society, blame on why wasn't this done or that done or the other done.

Folks, why don't we just place the blame squarely where it belongs, whether we like it or not? The primary motivator in the death of George Floyd was.......George Floyd.

I know he's been made into a hero and martyr and a rallying point for all of the oppressed peoples of the earth; but he wasn't. George Floyd was not a hero. He was a habitual criminal with a record longer than your left arm, who was in the commission of a crime and tripping on drugs at the time of his death.

Consider: if Floyd had gotten up every morning and went off to a regular job (like most of us do), maybe he wouldn't have gotten involved in counterfeiting. If he hadn't been trying to pass funny money, he wouldn't have gotten pursued by the cops. If he hadn't been tripping on God knows what, maybe he would have been able to breathe even with a knee on his neck.

Bottom line: if George Floyd had been an upright, law-abiding citizen who wasn't committing crimes and had not put himself into the position of being apprehended by the officers, he would be alive today. But he wasn't. He was a crook whose criminal lifestyle finally caught up with him. Does that excuse the cops? No. Does that make his death any less terrible? No. But the bottom line is that he was a street crook who was trying to dodge the law and he got caught. Plain and simple. He doesn't deserve accolades. He doesn't merit martyrdom status. He doesn't merit golden caskets or memorial funds or any of the rest of the stuff that's been heaped on him. He was a two-bit criminal. Period.

And now, as Forrest Gump once so wisely said, that's all I have t'say about....that.

• Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0