Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,460.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The media is not monolithic. I choose not to look at sensationalist media. I choose not to look at TV or movies glorifying violence or sex.

Even in Catholic news there are choices. The publications I read are, in my view, more balanced. You are free to disagree and I'm sure you will.

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The media is not monolithic. I choose not to look at sensationalist media. I choose not to look at TV or movies glorifying violence or sex.

Even in Catholic news there are choices. The publications I read are, in my view, more balanced. You are free to disagree and I'm sure you will.

As did Pope Francis at the end of January. Totally disagreed with your views and called for the media to be more balanced. That the media uses lenses that influence reality for many people and they need to choose differently.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it is a good mix of what sells and a bias. But yeah I agree what sells is a huge driver.

Before Reagan de-regulated television companies, news divisions were completely separate from the profit generating Entertainment divisions.

Television companies, to comply with their broadcast license requirements, had to provide news in the public interest, which meant BALANCED views were presented.

Once de regulation happened, and the fairness doctrine was scrapped, the news and entertainment divisions were merged and now we have Info-tainment, where only the views of the television companies ownership are championed, News Divisions became profit centers which gave rise to "if it bleeds, it leads"....

It appears you are suggesting we return to the pre Reagan era of Regulation of television companies, unless you can demonstrate another motivator that would be as effective in getting these companies to broadcast balanced news besides codifying the regulation of such into law again?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,460.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am glad that you recognize the dangers of deregulation--dangers that are much more potentially catastrophic when they concern our air, our water, the food we eat, workplace safety, product safety, etc.

But none of those are covered under the first amendment--they just concern our very survival.

On the other hand, regulation of the media, in the hands of a would-be dictator and tyrant, is unconstitutional--and deadly as well.

• Agree
Reactions: parousia70
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
When people come together for a grand purpose, they may have differing beliefs but share their commitment to a purpose bigger than themselves.

Higher purposes like redefining humanity to take it away from those we find inconvenient...both unborn or refugee? Lots of coming together for "grand purposes" all over the place on all sides.

If you come together and support the destruction of the life and/or dignity of a person because they are an inconvenient truth...that is not service or commitment to something bigger than oneself. That is the ultimate service to self, deluded to think it is noble, protecting and good.

It is the oldest trick in the book. And the tricks in the book do not come from something higher than ourselves but diabolically lower.

When we take a refugee or an unborn and make them and their humanity subject to our wants...we may fool ourselves it is in the cause of greater good. A higher purpose. But that is delusion.

And the media just fuels the delusion that there is somehow another side to making humans not human. They hint or state that there are noble reasons and higher purposes that justify cooperation with evil. They do it both to make money and because of their biases in different directions.

But when it comes to abortion this misrepresentations are legion. And they skew pro-choice.

This is, again, the problem of being locked into making political views a false idol. It leads to the defense of the sins as if they were good or at least proportionally justifiable compared to the sins of the other side.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
And it really is a pro-abortion bias. For all the talk of choice it is a bias toward a human not being a human but their humanity subject to if another wants them. And a bias toward cloaking that view in language that makes it seem enlightened and acceptable.

With all due respect, David, it is not a pro-abortion bias. It is a pro-choice bias. The media tend to emphasise that it has to do with a woman's bodily integrity. I know this is not a Catholic stance and please don't take this post as a defense of this stance, but you cannot accurately speak of pro-abortion. They do not advocate abortions; they advocate women's rights at the cost of the lives of the unborn.

• Agree
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic