Medal of Honor chaplain Fr Emil Kapaun's body identified, as sainthood inquiry continues

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Denver Newsroom, Mar 5, 2021 / 05:27 pm MT (CNA).- Department of Defense investigators have identified the remains of U.S. Army chaplain and Servant of God Fr. Emil Kapaun among the unknown Korean War soldiers buried in a Hawaiian cemetery, much to the surprise and joy of the priest’s relatives and devotees in his home state of Kansas.

“I just hope everybody is as elated as we are. It’s awesome to know that Fr. Kapaun will be coming home after 70 years,” Fr. John Hotze of the Diocese of Wichita told CNA March 5.

Ray Kapaun, the priest’s nephew, reflected on the news.

“There’s no words that can explain what the feelings are right now,” he said, according to KWCH News.

“I know there’s been a lot of miracles that have been attributed to him, or are in the investigation of being attributed to him, but I think everyone sees this as a miracle,” Ray said. “Because this is so unexpected. I mean, my family, we never thought we’d see this in our lifetime.”

Continued below.
Medal of Honor chaplain Fr Emil Kapaun's body identified, as sainthood inquiry continues