Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Am I not allowed to comment on any post on the board?

No. This is a Catholic zone.

As it happens, though, the Catholic Catechism says that (in memory of the death of Jesus), each Friday, like the period of Lent, is "particularly appropriate for spiritual exercises, penitential liturgies, pilgrimages as signs of penance, voluntary self-denial such as fasting and almsgiving, and fraternal sharing (charitable and missionary works)."

For Catholics in the USA, the obligation "under pain of sin" to refrain from meat on ordinary Fridays has been lifted. Abstaining from meat is still recommended, however:

"Friday should be in each week something of what Lent is in the entire year.... Among the works of voluntary self-denial and personal penance which we especially commend to our people for the future observance of Friday, even though we hereby terminate the traditional law of abstinence binding under pain of sin, as the sole prescribed means of observing Friday, we give first place to abstinence from flesh meat. We do so in the hope that the Catholic community will ordinarily continue to abstain from meat by free choice as formerly we did in obedience to Church law."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,884.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The US Bishop's petitioned to have the penitential practice of not eating meat on Friday removed except during Lent. Another form of penance was to be added.

Well, consistent with the spoiled children we are here in the US, no other form of penance was added.

Many Catholics do not know this but every Catholic should perform some type of penitential practice on EVERY Friday during the year. As for my family, we abstain from meat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am a little confused, is it a sin to eat meat on Fridays, or is it only required during Lent?

Thank you

In Australia, we are allowed to eat meat only if we substitute it with a penance.
I usually do so by attending Mass.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
[staff deleted]

Several places in the Bible people are told to submit to those in authority, as long as those in authority are not going against the teachings of God.
So yes, rebellion against legitimate authority, secular or religious, for no good reason would be a sin, you can not just say “oh that is a man made rule” and ignore it, that is not biblical

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0