Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If anyone is interested (which at this point I doubt), I found the following in Charles Hodge's Systematic:

"By means of grace are not meant every instrumentality which God may please to make the means of spiritual edification to his children. The phrase is intended to indicate those institutions which God has ordained to be the ordinary channels of grace, i.e., of the supernatural influences of the Holy Spirit, to the souls of men. The means of grace, according to the standards of our Church, are the word, sacraments, and prayer" Charles Hodge (Systematic Theology Volume III, p.466).

I was asking (in reference to the Reformed tradition) if by "means of grace" it was meant an instrumental means, i.e. a tool by which grace is applied. My concern was that the primary means of God's grace are Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. So, why do we refer to the word and sacraments as "means of grace?" I assumed that they would be a "means of grace" in a sense lesser than Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Hodge's phrase "channels of grace" is very helpful in regards to my question. I take it the word and sacraments (and according to Hodge, prayer) are channels or conduits through which the Holy Spirit applies grace. That's how Hodge seems to put it. That makes sense to me. It is also interesting that Hodge points out these may not be the only "instrumentality" that God uses, just the ones that God has ordained.

To whit, the word and sacraments are not understood as applying grace (which was my concern). It is the Holy Spirit who applies grace via these means.

I know my question may have seemed overly concerned with minutia, but that is where I am at. At any rate, I found an answer. Thanks.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,824.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The Reformed view is best represented in Given for You. I'll try to post more later.

41AjelEl4PL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Reformed view is best represented in Given for You. I'll try to post more later.

41AjelEl4PL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thank you. I'll get a copy.

Years ago, I would always take my work break in time to listen to "Renewing Your Mind" on the truck radio. I came to faith (It came to me) listening to R.C. Sproul.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,824.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Is your concern that Christ will be eclipsed if the physical elements of bread and wine are used by God to convey grace? God ordained man to preach the Gospel, the glory belongs to God, the minister is ordained by God for that purpose. In the Lord’s Supper the bread and wine are ordained by God as a means of grace. People actually benefit spiritually when they take part in communion.

God works through physical means. We are not Gnostic.

God Works Through His Appointed Means

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is your concern that Christ will be eclipsed if the physical elements of bread and wine are used by God to convey grace? God ordained man to preach the Gospel, the glory belongs to God, the minister is ordained by God for that purpose. In the Lord’s Supper the bread and wine are ordained by God as a means of grace. People actually benefit spiritually when they take part in communion.

God works through physical means. We are not Gnostic.

God Works Through His Appointed Means

It seemed to me the phrase "means of grace" could lead one to mistakenly believe that the word and sacrament were doing only what the Holy Spirit can do, i.e. apply grace. Hodge's statement cleared up my confusion by clarifying that they are a "means" in the sense of a conduit or channel. The Holy Spirit applies grace through the conduit or channel.

Mostly, I needed a way to explain what I, myself, didn't quite understand. Now I'm clear on it.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0